Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Quick question about flagpoling from IEC year 1 to year 2

Quick question about flagpoling from IEC year 1 to year 2

Old Sep 8th 2013, 12:25 am
Just Joined

london-to-toronto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quick question about flagpoling from IEC year 1 to year 2

Hi all, newbie here.

Quick question: my first year IEC work permit expires on Sep 20th, so I need to do a flagpole (already have my LOI, etc.). My question is, what day should I do it on - the 20th, or the 21st? Not sure it even matters, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thanks folks.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question about flagpoling from IEC year 1 to year 2

Originally Posted by london-to-toronto
Hi all, newbie here.

Quick question: my first year IEC work permit expires on Sep 20th, so I need to do a flagpole (already have my LOI, etc.). My question is, what day should I do it on - the 20th, or the 21st? Not sure it even matters, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thanks folks.
IMO if you wait until 21st you effectively have no medical cover as you don't have a legal status from 12:01am... So I would do it on 20th. But I might be totally wrong... probably am!
Old Sep 9th 2013, 12:42 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

20th
Old Sep 9th 2013, 11:00 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

I'd leave Canada on the evening of the 20th and spend some time in the US, maybe go watch a late night movie and then head back to Canada after midnight. But that's just me.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 5:17 pm
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Just go and ask for an admin refusal, spend about 15 min at the US border crossing then head back into Canada after they give you the white bit of paper stating admin refusal. This will not jeopardise future trips to the US and you don't have to pay 6 bucks US. We did this last week to activate our PR, US border guards were very friendly and helpful.

Regards

Andrew