Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Questions About Skilled Worker Application Form

Questions About Skilled Worker Application Form

Old Mar 13th 2007, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Glassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the rough
Default Questions About Skilled Worker Application Form

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are just about to start on the long road to immigration (we're still at application stage) and I have a few questions regarding the Federal Skilled Worker Class Application Form. Would anyone out there be able to help with the following please ?

Question 11 - Common-law Relationships

I put down for question ten that I'm currently in a Common-law relationship. However, question 11 asks if I've ever been in a Common-law relationship before, and if so I have to list them. My question is two fold, a) what length of time is classed as a common law relationship ? and b) how far back do I have to go ? I'm no Casanova but I've been in quite a few relationships and I can't see the point in listing them all.

Question 23 - Proficiency In French

I've been to France a few times and I can get by communicating with the locals in their native tongue. My French writing, reading and listening are all pretty much of the same standard as my pigeon spoken French. Does this class as Basic ?

Question 25 - Funds

What are my unencumbered funds ? Are these my savings only (i.e. money I can get hold of instantly) or does that include any equity that may be locked up in the house and/or any ISA I may have ?

Question 26 - Work Experience

I wasn't going to go overboard on this part of the form at this stage, as this is just the application form to reserve my place in the application queue (quote from the CHC) ? Is it wise to keep it simple at this stage ?

Question 27 - Family Member Details

Again, another two-fold question. The first being, the form said I need to detail all my family members even if they aren't wanting to emigrate to Canada. Does this include my parents and brother, even though I don't live with them ? Second part, my girlfriend has been divorced from her ex for a couple of years now, however she has kept her married name. When I put her details on the application form, do I put her married name down (as that's in her passport) or do I put her maiden name down (as that's on her birth certificate) ?

Sorry its been a bit of a brain dump, but I just want to ensure that I complete the form correctly.

Thanks in advance for all your help. I'm sure I'll be posting more as the weeks roll on.

Cheers All

Glassy.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

donwauchope has a brilliant futuredonwauchope has a brilliant futuredonwauchope has a brilliant futuredonwauchope has a brilliant futuredonwauchope has a brilliant futuredonwauchope has a brilliant future
Default Re: Questions About Skilled Worker Application Form

I think the best approach is to give as much detail as possible and to be consistent. I presume you are using the new skilled worker application form. I would put in as much as they request and possibly more. Just keep copies so that your next form filling exercise is the same.
Took us over 3 months to collect all the evidence and complete the form - old version of a full application.

Others will probably answer some of your specific questions with better insight.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Kazphillips will become famous soon enoughKazphillips will become famous soon enough

Hi Glassy

Welcome to the forum.

in terms of your French question, in order to claim any kind of French ability and get the points for it, you will have to take the TEF exam. This is Test d'evaluation francaise and it can be pretty tough. There is a book and some tapes you can get hold of that help and give you mock tests etc to practice with.

http://www.fda.ccip.fr/default.asp?metaid=4

is a good place to start - you can see example questions.

I did the TEF in Sept 2005 so if you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

Kaz x
Old Mar 14th 2007, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Glassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the rough
Default Help Required From A Moderator: Questions About Skilled Worker Application Form

Cheers for your responses guys.
Much Appreciated.

Hi Ray1968/Biiiiink/JAJ,

Can you help out with these questions please

Cheers All

Glassy
Old Mar 14th 2007, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Phumfeinz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Glassy
Hi All,

Again, another two-fold question. The first being, the form said I need to detail all my family members even if they aren't wanting to emigrate to Canada. Does this include my parents and brother, even though I don't live with them ? Second part, my girlfriend has been divorced from her ex for a couple of years now, however she has kept her married name. When I put her details on the application form, do I put her married name down (as that's in her passport) or do I put her maiden name down (as that's on her birth certificate) ?

Sorry its been a bit of a brain dump, but I just want to ensure that I complete the form correctly.

Thanks in advance for all your help. I'm sure I'll be posting more as the weeks roll on.

Cheers All

Glassy.

I think the family member part means YOUR immediate family, i.e. your partner and any children you may have.

I'm not 100% though, but that's my understanding from it.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:50 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phumfeinz
I think the family member part means YOUR immediate family, i.e. your partner and any children you may have.

I'm not 100% though, but that's my understanding from it.
I included brothers and sisters on my application.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:41 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Your funds can be in an ISA. Similarly if you have money tied up in a property CIC will also look at it you would need to supply the documentation nearer the time.

You just need to document the skilled work in NOC Classifications 0,A and B over the last 10 years. Just make sure you put down the main duties that are listed with the appropriate NOC Classification number in your roles and responsibilities.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

JimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really nice

Hi Glassy, We filled in our applications several years ago now and it sounds as though the forms may have have changed since them - but I hope the answers below help some - good luck with your application!

Question 26 - Work Experience

Definitely put as much detail down as possible regarding the work experience you have in the NOC class you are applying under.

Which name to use - I would say that if your girlfriend still uses her married name for everything now (ie passport, work, national insurance, banking etc etc etc) then use this name on the application form - if she has reverted back to her maiden name, then use this. When you apply you'll need to send birth certificates and marriage certs and/or divorce paperwork anyway, so these will indicate why different names are used.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Cheers for all your responses, I think that pretty much answers most of my questions

The only one I'm a bit stumped on is the Common Law relationships one. I mean how far back do I go when it comes to listing relationships on the form ?
Also, is Common-law defined as living with someone for at least six months ?

Many Thanks

Glassy