Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question in regards to federal skilled express entry.

Question in regards to federal skilled express entry.

Old Mar 24th 2019, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

cprfenom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question in regards to federal skilled express entry.

Evening all.

I have just passed my Red Seal IP journeyman exam.
I have also done my IELTS and got an score of 8 overall.

I am being led to believe that this should be enough for the federal skilled express entry. Does this sound right and do you think I will still need an ECA?

Kind regards,

Chris
Old Mar 24th 2019, 9:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question in regards to federal skilled express entry.

Depends. Federal Skilled Trades or Federal Skilled Worker? I assume the former if you’ve got provincial certification, but depends on the NOC code?
Old Mar 24th 2019, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Evening,

Its as an electrician with noc code 7241. So I am assuming skilled trade?

Kind regards,

Chris
Old Mar 25th 2019, 5:23 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Red Seal is an endorsement on the Provincial Certificate of Qualification, it's not generally a stand alone - do you have your CoQ as well?
Per this thread Help wanted in understanding a comparison to Canadian education (Skilled Trades)
and also this post: UK Sparks In Canada
(congrats on passing the Red Seal tests regardless! )

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 25th 2019 at 5:30 am.
Old Mar 25th 2019, 7:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cprfenom
Evening,

Its as an electrician with noc code 7241. So I am assuming skilled trade?

Kind regards,

Chris
OK, so an ECA isn’t mandatory for FST apps. However, you won’t get any points for education without one. What are you scoring on the CRS?
Old Mar 25th 2019, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

I have my certificate of qualification now yes.

In England I only have my High school education, but I am not sure if the certificate of qualification is considered further education/diploma etc on the education element of the CRS?
Old Mar 26th 2019, 12:01 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I have my certificate of qualification now yes.

In England I only have my High school education, but I am not sure if the certificate of qualification is considered further education/diploma etc on the education element of the CRS?

No, it won't be, but for trades you don't actually have to get your education assessed. Also you do get extra points for having a CoQ so that's good news!

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...html#education
Old Mar 30th 2019, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Hi Guys,

As per the CRS calculator with mt certificate and both my wife and I only really graduating High School I seem to have a score of 284 as we both scored well on the IELTS.

That seems too low to stand a chance on the FST?
Old Mar 30th 2019, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Draws for FST invitations use lower points as in this one

#100 – September 24, 2018

Program specified:

Federal Skilled Trades

See full text of Ministerial Instruction

Candidates invited under the Federal Skilled Trades Program

Number of invitations issued: 400

Rank required to be invited to apply: 400th or above

Date and time of round: September 24, 2018 at 05:34:21 UTC

CRS score of lowest-ranked candidate invited: 284

Tie-breaking rule: February 18, 2018 at 12:31:16 UTC
  • If more than one candidate has the lowest score, the cut-off is based on the date and time they submitted their Express Entry profiles.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-previous.html
Old Mar 30th 2019, 4:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi Guys,

As per the CRS calculator with mt certificate and both my wife and I only really graduating High School I seem to have a score of 284 as we both scored well on the IELTS.

That seems too low to stand a chance on the FST?
284 is fine for FST, you can see all the previous draws on the CIC website. But do note that as secondary education goes on until age 18 in Canada, often just getting to GCSE's in the UK isn't considered completing high school for equivalency purposes, A levels would be. So depending on when you left school, you may not get points for any education, just something to bear in mind.
Old Apr 1st 2019, 4:47 am
Just Joined

That means it's more likely 274 as my wife did graduate high school in Canada. Feels a little deflating after the effort to get the COQ.
Old Apr 1st 2019, 5:32 am
Banned

That means it's more likely 274 as my wife did graduate high school in Canada. Feels a little deflating after the effort to get the COQ.

Umm is your wife a Canadian Citizen or did she / does she have Permanent Resident status by any chance? If not, has she ever worked in Canada? You mentioned elsewhere that she lived in St. Johns for 8 years - were her parents here on temporary work permits or similar?

Can you double check your CRS score as with a Certificate of Qualification and 8's on IELTS, with more than 3 years work experience outside Canada, your points seem a little low.

I used the CRS calculator basing it on an age of 34 with 3+ years of work experience overseas (none in Canada), you both scoring 8's on IELTS and your wife having completed high school in Canada and got 322 as your CoQ is worth 50 points.
  • Age = 75
  • Level of education = 0
  • Study in Canada = undefined
  • Official Languages = 125
    • First Official Language = 125
    • Second Official Language = 0
  • Canadian work experience = 0
Spouse factors
  • Level of education = 2
  • First Official Languages = 20
  • Canadian work experience = 0
Subtotal - Spouse factors = 22

Foreign work experience
  • A) Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience = 50
  • B) Canadian and foreign work experience = 0
Subtotal = 50
Certificate of qualification = 50
Subtotal Skill transferability factors = 100

Subtotal - Core/Human capital factors = 200
Subtotal Core/Human capital + Spouse factors + Skill transferability = 322
Old Apr 1st 2019, 5:37 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Sadly I think it's my age that is dropping the score as we are both 40.

My wife parents were on work visas and her dad declined PR at the time. This was 19 years ago now.
I guess my next option is to try and get a job offer or nomination.

Kind regards,

Chris
Old Apr 1st 2019, 8:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi,

Sadly I think it's my age that is dropping the score as we are both 40.

My wife parents were on work visas and her dad declined PR at the time. This was 19 years ago now.
I guess my next option is to try and get a job offer or nomination.

Kind regards,

Chris
Why do you think you need a job offer or nomination? Personally I'd just get your points up other ways i.e. your wife taking IELTS. I've just done a rough points score based on the info you've given and assuming your wife has IELTS and that would be enough for FST.

I'd just get a wriggle on, as you'll lose points when you have your next birthday, and they don't do FST draws very often, so get your wife booked in for IELTS asap, and get in the pool!

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 1st 2019 at 8:50 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Evening all.

I have now submitted my application for my wife and I and it's only come up at 250.

I know that improving my writing score on ielts will give me an additional 8 points, but given that the FTSP is about vocational skills, how on earth does a 40 year old get the points.

I can't see the entry score dropping nearly 40 points.

gutted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.