A question re: funding...

Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Edain is an unknown quantity at this point
Question A question re: funding...

Hi,

I am in Canada with my husband on a visitors visa which has now been extended from 6 months to 1 year. My husband is Canadian and working.

I am about to apply for perminant residency with my husband sponsoring me.

My question is: how much money do I have to have in the bank to prove I can support my residency? There is only me and no dependant children. I am from the UK.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:53 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question re: funding...

Hi

Originally Posted by Edain
Hi,

I am in Canada with my husband on a visitors visa which has now been extended from 6 months to 1 year. My husband is Canadian and working.

I am about to apply for perminant residency with my husband sponsoring me.

My question is: how much money do I have to have in the bank to prove I can support my residency? There is only me and no dependant children. I am from the UK.

Thanks for any help you can give.

You nothing, its the sponsor that has to prove that they are able support the person they are sponsoring.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
You nothing, its the sponsor that has to prove that they are able support the person they are sponsoring.
ok, so how much does my sponsor need in the bank?
Old Jun 12th 2006, 10:35 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

ok, so how much does my sponsor need in the bank?
According to CIC's Sponsor's Guide, the sponsor must:
Sign an undertaking promising to provide for your spouse or common-law partner’s basic requirements and, if applicable, those of his or her dependent children
I do not see anything about the sponsor having to prove that he/she has sufficient resources to support the spouse whom he/she is sponsoring.

The only mention that I have found about demonstrating resources on the page of CIC's website that deals with sponsoring a spouse has to do with a spouse's dependent children. It says that you must:
Prove that you have sufficient income to provide basic requirements for your spouse or common-law partner’s dependent child. To do this, you must provide documents that show your financial resources for the past 12 months. This requirement applies only when dependent children who have dependent children of their own are included on the application.

It appears, from the page that lists processing fees that the following fees are applicable to you and your spouse:
Sponsor's processing fee : C$75

Principal applicant's processing fee : C$475

Right of permanent residence fee : C$490

TOTAL : C$1,040
I have never done the spousal sponsorship thing myself. I also am not a migration consultant. What I've told you comes from my reading of CIC's website. So, to be on the safe side, you should go to the website and check whether or not you agree with my interpretation of it.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

I agree with Judy. I was under the impression that in spousal sponsorship, the sponsor can not be on social assistance (except for disability), but that is the extent of it.

I didn't think they had to show 'money in the bank' or prove funds.

But of course, I could easily be wrong and I am not an expert.

Could anyone clarify?
Old Jun 13th 2006, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

I can confirm what others have said. I sponsored my husband (I'm Canadian, but haven't lived there since I was a kid), and didn't have to prove any financial stuff. I provided evidence I was employed, but that was it.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to all

I may be wrong about this. but I think the sponser should prove that he will be able to provide for his partner, such as showing steady income etc. I dont know about how much money you need in the bank.
I am not an expert, so do cross check,

regs
Old Jun 13th 2006, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Reghuraj
I may be wrong about this. but I think the sponser should prove that he will be able to provide for his partner, such as showing steady income etc. I dont know about how much money you need in the bank.
I am not an expert, so do cross check,

regs
You don't need any money in the bank. I'm also pretty sure you don't need to prove an income...Biiiink sponsored her husband, and she is a stay-at-home mum (nothing wrong with that of course!). You just need to sign a statement (included in the application) that says that you are liable if your spouse claims any benefits.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
You don't need any money in the bank. I'm also pretty sure you don't need to prove an income...Biiiink sponsored her husband, and she is a stay-at-home mum (nothing wrong with that of course!). You just need to sign a statement (included in the application) that says that you are liable if your spouse claims any benefits.
ok, that is good for those sponsering and i suppose the OP will be happy to read your reply. Thanks for the update.

regs
Old Jun 13th 2006, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Oh my..really? can I get this confirmed anywhere or by anyone else?
This would be excellent news to us.... *crosses fingers*
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh my..really? can I get this confirmed anywhere or by anyone else?
This would be excellent news to us.... *crosses fingers*
from CIC website:

To sponsor a relative or family member you must sign an undertaking with the minister of Citizenship and Immigration. This is a promise to the Government of Canada that you will support the person you sponsor and their family members for a period of three to 10 years so that they will not need to apply for social assistance.

You must also sign a sponsorship agreement with your relative or family member that outlines your mutual commitments to each other. You promise to provide for the basic requirements of the person you sponsor and their family members for the duration of the undertaking. The person you sponsor promises to make every effort to become self-supporting (unless they are elderly.)

Also check out form IMM5481 if neither of you have children. This is the only financial form you need to complete.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM5481E.PDF
note that they ask how you support yourself if you don't work, and your net personal income. They don't ask about savings.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: A question re: funding...

from CIC website:

To sponsor a relative or family member you must sign an undertaking with the minister of Citizenship and Immigration. This is a promise to the Government of Canada that you will support the person you sponsor and their family members for a period of three to 10 years so that they will not need to apply for social assistance.

You must also sign a sponsorship agreement with your relative or family member that outlines your mutual commitments to each other. You promise to provide for the basic requirements of the person you sponsor and their family members for the duration of the undertaking. The person you sponsor promises to make every effort to become self-supporting (unless they are elderly.)

Also check out form IMM5481 if neither of you have children. This is the only financial form you need to complete.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM5481E.PDF
note that they ask how you support yourself if you don't work, and your net personal income. They don't ask about savings.
Thank you for all your help!