Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question on Intra Company transfer

Question on Intra Company transfer

Old Apr 4th 2013, 2:09 am
ltt
Just Joined

ltt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question on Intra Company transfer

Hi all,

I am going to apply for a work permit with the papers prepared by a lawyer at the PoE in Canada for a intra company transfer.

1) My spouse is a Canadian and she is residing in Canada. Will the officers deny me of getting a temporary work permit because of this?

2) If they do deny my temporary work permit, can i still enter Canada as a visitor or I will be deported?
Old Apr 4th 2013, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on Intra Company transfer

As long as you are eligible under the Intra Co Transferee requirements to be issued a work permit then there should be no problem.
If not eligible you could come in as a visitor.
Read section 5.31 on page 60 of this link re eligibility
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...w/fw01-eng.pdf
are being transferred to a position in a Executive, Senior Managerial, or Specialized Knowledge capacity;
Old Apr 4th 2013, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

sudha is an unknown quantity at this point

I have tried to get the TWP at the border using the Intra-Company route. It is really hard for the Officers to get convinced, in my case, I didnt have a letter from the Lawyer so may be it was harder.

Even if they dont give the Work permit, they will let you in if you have a valid Visa. That is what happened to me.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 2:21 pm
ltt
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sudha
I have tried to get the TWP at the border using the Intra-Company route. It is really hard for the Officers to get convinced, in my case, I didnt have a letter from the Lawyer so may be it was harder.

Even if they dont give the Work permit, they will let you in if you have a valid Visa. That is what happened to me.

did you try again after that?
Old Apr 4th 2013, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

I tried 3 times to get the Work permit at the border, later we directly applied to the Vagerville using a lawyer which worked.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 3:08 pm
ltt
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sudha
I tried 3 times to get the Work permit at the border, later we directly applied to the Vagerville using a lawyer which worked.
so that means you kept doing "flag poling" to get the work permit?

may i know what industry are you in?

I am in the software industry and it can be nerve wrecking getting the work permit rejected
Old Apr 5th 2013, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

I am in the S/W industry too..

I did the flag poling 3 times at 3 different locations, (All in Niagara region) nothing worked. I was told by the Officer at one of the locations to have a letter from the company which specifically states that it is a Temporary position for a fixed amount of time that you are transferring. I just had a full time offer from the Canadian company at that time.

It is nothing to worry about even if they reject the Work permit at the border. I was told that they dont even add any notes when they reject the WP.

So good luck.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

What you have to be careful with is if you don't meet the eligibility requirements and have the correct documentation then you COULD be refused entry as you are in non compliance with the act.
The officer has the option to send you back home or defer the exam dependent on circumstances.
Old May 14th 2013, 5:28 pm
ltt
Just Joined

I managed to get the work permit on arrival.

Thanks all for the advice!