Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question for anyone familiar with the BUNAC and IEC application process

Question for anyone familiar with the BUNAC and IEC application process

Old Sep 14th 2014, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Burke is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Question for anyone familiar with the BUNAC and IEC application process

Hi there!

I was recommended this website by a guy I met who said people here offer great advice for your questions - so here I am with mine.

I signed up to the BUNAC newsletter for notifications about when the next application process starts. I got one the other day saying it starts tomorrow, Monday the 15th.

In the email, it says 'To work in Canada you need to have the correct visa'

1) Does this mean I have to obtain a visa before applying for the BUNAC programme?

It then stated the various work programmes they offer. I selected the one I wanted, logged into my account and was met with details of my application progress. Having made the account a while ago, everything was already completed except my payment.

It says 'You can either pay the full amount now, or just pay a non-refundable deposit of £100.'

1) Once I pay, whats next? Will my application process be submitted as soon as it opens tomorrow? Not once, has it told me I need something. I have provided they programme with all the information they need. Once I have paid, am I going to get rejected for missing something they needed from me?

2) What is the best payment option? I don't want to pay the full about (359) and then have my application rejected with no refund. At the same time, I don't want to just pay a deposit and then find that somehow puts me at the bottom of the pile or something.

Any advice or stories from people who have been through this would be great.

TL;DR What is needed for the BUNAC programme other than filling out their forms and paying the fee? Also, what is the best payment option and is the full payment option refundable if your application is unsuccessful?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 14th 2014, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for anyone familiar with the BUNAC and IEC application process

Looks like BUNAC only assist with getting the IEC permits these days. I think there was a time when you could only get the IEC through BUNAC but that has changed and you can now get it yourself.

I would save your money and apply directly to CIC to get your IEC when the time comes which should be early 2015.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 6:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for anyone familiar with the BUNAC and IEC application process

Originally Posted by bc2015
Looks like BUNAC only assist with getting the IEC permits these days. I think there was a time when you could only get the IEC through BUNAC but that has changed and you can now get it yourself.

I would save your money and apply directly to CIC to get your IEC when the time comes which should be early 2015.
+1. I'm not sure why Bunac have told you that the 2015 program opens tomorrow as there's no mention of that on the official IEC website link? It would be incredibly early if it really is opening mid Oct, December to March is the usual window for it opening.

Does it perhaps mean that Bunac pre-registration opens tomorrow i.e. you can sign up with them to have an account and receive notification of when the program opens? Even if you do have a Bunac account you still need to do the IEC app yourself, so personally unless you want to pay the extra fees for job hunting help etc, I'd just apply for the visa directly and cut out the middleman.

HTH, good luck.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Burke is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Question for anyone familiar with the BUNAC and IEC application process

Here is a screenshot of the email they sent to me:

I don't know why it is would be pre registration as I have already signed up and done everything except pay the fee. As you can see, I am reluctant to pay the fee until my doubts in my original post are resolved.

Also, if it is just registration, then why does the email sound like places will be snapped up first thing tomorrow?

Finally, what do you mean by just applying for the VISA directly? How? I have been searching for the easiest way to just get into Canada and work for a short amount of time for over a year now and this has always been suggested to me.

I presume BUNAC is a private company, so why do people sign up with the middle man? Where can I cut out the middle man, where and when do I need to sign up?
Attached Thumbnails Question for anyone familiar with the BUNAC and IEC application process-ss.png  
Old Sep 14th 2014, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said the way it was before, the permits were processed through BUNAC, but this is no longer the case.

The only thing BUNAC offer now is advice on filling in the forms and orientation when you get to Canada and maybe some help with finding a job. They can no longer get you a permit or even guarantee getting you a permit.

You can apply for the permit directly here when the applications open

Travel and Work in Canada | Temporary Work Visa For Work Holidays in Canada for Students and Youth | International Experience Canada

This might help too

Travel and Work in Canada | Application Step-by-Step Guide for the United Kingdom Ages 18-30 | International Experience Canada

Keep an eye on this forum, I'm sure someone will post when they do become available.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 7:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burke
Also, if it is just registration, then why does the email sound like places will be snapped up first thing tomorrow?
I don't think it does tbh. It does say in big letters in the middle of it 'Please note 15th Sept is the date our programme is open - not when IEC work permits are available'.

Originally Posted by Burke
Finally, what do you mean by just applying for the VISA directly? How? I have been searching for the easiest way to just get into Canada and work for a short amount of time for over a year now and this has always been suggested to me.

I presume BUNAC is a private company, so why do people sign up with the middle man? Where can I cut out the middle man, where and when do I need to sign up?
You sign up on the IEC website, a quick Google will bring it straight up. I'm on my phone at the mo but I'll link to it when back home.

HTH.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 8:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by bc2015
Like I said the way it was before, the permits were processed through BUNAC, but this is no longer the case.

The only thing BUNAC offer now is advice on filling in the forms and orientation when you get to Canada and maybe some help with finding a job. They can no longer get you a permit or even guarantee getting you a permit.

You can apply for the permit directly here when the applications open

Travel and Work in Canada | Temporary Work Visa For Work Holidays in Canada for Students and Youth | International Experience Canada

This might help too

Travel and Work in Canada | Application Step-by-Step Guide for the United Kingdom Ages 18-30 | International Experience Canada

Keep an eye on this forum, I'm sure someone will post when they do become available.
I don't need to link to the website after all, this was in the mod queue and should give you the info you need. Thx bc2015.