Question about Personal History

Old Aug 31st 2008, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all
Default Question about Personal History

Hi, I'm preparing our documentation and am wondering about exact details for personal history. About 20 years ago I went on holidays to the US, once in 1986 and again in 1987, only for 1 and 2 weeks respectively, but I can't remember exact dates. I don't have my passport from that time. Can I just estimate the month I went? Our letter says not to leave any gaps (timewise), but what if you can't get proof of something like that? Also, I taught part-time shorthand at night at an evening college about 18 years ago and can't remember exact dates or the name of the college. Should I just leave it out? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question about Personal History

Originally Posted by Ginger3710
Hi, I'm preparing our documentation and am wondering about exact details for personal history. About 20 years ago I went on holidays to the US, once in 1986 and again in 1987, only for 1 and 2 weeks respectively, but I can't remember exact dates. I don't have my passport from that time. Can I just estimate the month I went? Our letter says not to leave any gaps (timewise), but what if you can't get proof of something like that? Also, I taught part-time shorthand at night at an evening college about 18 years ago and can't remember exact dates or the name of the college. Should I just leave it out? Thanks in advance.
We only put in details for the previous 10 years

Not sure why a holiday in the USA is relevant tho. What documentation are you preparing?? PR for Canada??
Old Aug 31st 2008, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

Hi, yes PR for Canada, Schedule 1 Background Declaration form Q11 personal history. They ask what you have been doing during the past 10 yrs or since age 18, whichever is longer, including employment, periods of unemployment, study and any other time including stays in hospital, prisons, confinement, travelling in search of a country of refuge and time spent at home as a homemaker. You must not leave gaps. You don't have to prove it with paperwork like employment for last 10 yrs for principal applicant, but they still want to know everything you've done.

That's why I'm putting in everything since age 18 and want to know what to put if I can't remember some details. What have others done in this instance?
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

Hi, yes PR for Canada, Schedule 1 Background Declaration form Q11 personal history. They ask what you have been doing during the past 10 yrs or since age 18, whichever is longer, including employment, periods of unemployment, study and any other time including stays in hospital, prisons, confinement, travelling in search of a country of refuge and time spent at home as a homemaker. You must not leave gaps. You don't have to prove it with paperwork like employment for last 10 yrs for principal applicant, but they still want to know everything you've done.

That's why I'm putting in everything since age 18 and want to know what to put if I can't remember some details. What have others done in this instance?
I never even thought of putting holidays in. I am sure they mean periods of employment, to show you didnt disappear off the face of the earth. ie if you were unemployed for a while, where were you?? By hospital I am sure they mean long term stays several months, otherwise you are still employed??
Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I never even thought of putting holidays in. I am sure they mean periods of employment, to show you didnt disappear off the face of the earth. ie if you were unemployed for a while, where were you?? By hospital I am sure they mean long term stays several months, otherwise you are still employed??
Well, if you were unemployed, you could have been studying, or travelling, or just taken some time off. Between 2 jobs I was studying full time for a part time course I was doing. After my last full-time job, I was on maternity leave, then resumed work, and now homemaker duties and at the same time recently had part time evening job. And in between that I have travelled, studied part time, taught at evening college part-time...I presumed they would want to know all these details. I've done a search here but no-one seems to have addressed this question. I think I'll ring the consulate tomorrow and ask them. I'd rather put more info in to be on the safe side.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

Well, if you were unemployed, you could have been studying, or travelling, or just taken some time off. Between 2 jobs I was studying full time for a part time course I was doing. After my last full-time job, I was on maternity leave, then resumed work, and now homemaker duties and at the same time recently had part time evening job. And in between that I have travelled, studied part time, taught at evening college part-time...I presumed they would want to know all these details. I've done a search here but no-one seems to have addressed this question. I think I'll ring the consulate tomorrow and ask them. I'd rather put more info in to be on the safe side.
ok, will be interested to see what they say. They may want different levels of info in Australia.

I really dont think they want to know every holiday. I never mentioned mine at all, didnt even think of it.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 6:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I somehow doubt that they want a day by day account of where you have been.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fledermaus
ok, will be interested to see what they say. They may want different levels of info in Australia.

I really dont think they want to know every holiday. I never mentioned mine at all, didnt even think of it.
Well then what info DID you include? Only your employment? If no-one responds to this post and says what they did include in their personal history, then I have nothing to go by, except to ring the consulate myself and check with them.

"..We only put in details for the previous 10 years.."

Our letter specifically states that Q11 and Q15 (list of addresses) are to include info from your 18th birthday, and not the last 10 years. Obviously for those who are 28 yrs or younger then that will be the last 10 years or less for them.

I have noticed one difference between the British letters and the Australian letter, and that is that our university transcripts don't have to be in sealed envelopes. Well that's in our letter anyway.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

Well then what info DID you include? Only your employment? If no-one responds to this post and says what they did include in their personal history, then I have nothing to go by, except to ring the consulate myself and check with them.

Our letter specifically states that Q11 and Q15 (list of addresses) are to include info from your 18th birthday, and not the last 10 years. Obviously for those who are 28 yrs or younger then that will be the last 10 years or less for them.

I have noticed one difference between the British letters and the Australian letter, and that is that our university transcripts don't have to be in sealed envelopes. Well that's in our letter anyway.
You know I am trying to help, I sense some antipathy in your response. Maybe I am wrong

We are well over 28 and gave details for the previous 10 years. We listed employment as neither of us had had a gap in employment. MOH had been in the navy before that so he supplied his service record as he had been out of the country for sometime.

I also included an up todate CV so they could see my employment record going back to prehistoric times.

That was for London. We now have PR.

You should check with the local office then if you arent sure.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:53 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Eh?! What forms are you filling out?!
As da...fledermaus has tried to say, they want you to account for your whereabouts in terms of country of residence, education, employment, prison etc. I'm not sure they give a monkeys about holidays...unless it was for an unusual length of time. Like a year out or whatever.

Best of luck!
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:00 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

hi

if it helps, i'm also just doing my forms for bc pnp and pr together and i've had to do since 18years old and not last 10years.....nightmare! i've had the house upside down most of the day and oh giveing me earache.....

i've listed everything from study, job, travel and unemployment month by month. i've spent the day looking up old adresses long forgotten, trying to get qualification titles right etc. i don't have any proof of my travel times either, except for an old passport with an american visa stamp; probably not even relivent now and i probably shouldn't even have the old passport.......if i was pushed on the proof bit, i quess i would try port of entry for the places i travelled but in truth, this was long before computers..........only quessing on this one but i think the idea is show that you don't claim that you were studying for a degree when in actual fact you were off sunning yourself on some remote ireland; it's to demonstrate continuety.......

i'm with you every step though ginger.....b****y hard work, right?
Old Sep 1st 2008, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
hi

if it helps, i'm also just doing my forms for bc pnp and pr together and i've had to do since 18years old and not last 10years.....nightmare! i've had the house upside down most of the day and oh giveing me earache.....

i've listed everything from study, job, travel and unemployment month by month. i've spent the day looking up old adresses long forgotten, trying to get qualification titles right etc. i don't have any proof of my travel times either, except for an old passport with an american visa stamp; probably not even relivent now and i probably shouldn't even have the old passport.......if i was pushed on the proof bit, i quess i would try port of entry for the places i travelled but in truth, this was long before computers..........only quessing on this one but i think the idea is show that you don't claim that you were studying for a degree when in actual fact you were off sunning yourself on some remote ireland; it's to demonstrate continuety.......

i'm with you every step though ginger.....b****y hard work, right?
Yes, I agree, I've just checked the manual/instructions and it asks for month by month account of personal history from your 18th birthday, there are to be no gaps. I guess it's open to each one's interpretation, as we can see fledermaus has basically put employment and not much else and now has PR.

Anyway, I've just spoken to the Sydney Consulate who said they want to know everything, if you can't remember exact dates that's ok but they want info including travel, part-time jobs, study, spare time, but not short-term hospital like pregnancy though. If they need more info, they will contact me. So I'm just going to include everything to be on the safe side and not to have any further delay. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Ginger3710; Sep 1st 2008 at 1:10 am. Reason: add info
Old Sep 1st 2008, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

shonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura about

Hi
I've filled in similar forms for PNP and have had some help from my future employer. She said just to put in everything as much as you can remember. You can only do your best. My husdand couldn't remember all his previous addresses as some are from 30 years ago.
He also couldn't remember addresses he had at university, so just put down the university address for the 3 years.

We didn't include any holidays, just periods of employment or unemployment, study. I spent some time as a 'homemaker'.

I think they just want to know you haven't been up to anything dodgy. You can only put in as much as you can remember and I think if you do your best that will have to do. It's not like they can easily check up on it any more than you can.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't put any holidays down other than the ones that lasted >1 month. I did list all recent trips where they asked for foreign travel in the last ten years, but that was all.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Putting your holidays in is overkill. In the list you quote it doesn't even state vacation time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.