Question about Goods to Follow

Old Dec 23rd 2013, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question about Goods to Follow

I dj as a hobby and have a lot of music that I have bought online and then burnt to cd so I can dj with it. I also have a dvds where I have made back ups of all my music and photos just in case I lose it off my computer or my external hard drive.

Do I just count these cd's and dvds I have for djing and ad them in to my total of cd's/dvd's collections I have bought i.e. albums and films.

Or do I list them seperatley i.e.

DVD's …….. 55
CD's ……… 150
DJ-ing Music CD's ……. 200
Back Up DVD's (Photo's/Music) …. 20

Cheers
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 10:02 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about Goods to Follow

I would think its swings and roundabouts and you can list as you like ... If you're concerned on an insurance level then it probably helps to separate it out with prices (if one is worth more than the other) - I think I read somewhere that if you don't isolate something out then they'll just prorate the value per the quantity listed.
Old Dec 24th 2013, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Dependent on how many items you have and their value be aware that the cd's used for djaying could be subject to taxes as these are used for a business.
If we are only talking a minor amount then chances are CBSA won't bother but if we are talking hundreds then you may get questioned especially if they suspect the cd's are being used for commercial purposes as opposed to a personal collection for home use only.

Goods Not Admissible

13. The following are examples of goods which are not admissible under tariff item No. 9807.00.00 and are to be classified under the appropriate provision of the Customs Tariff:

(a) goods for the accommodation of others, for sale or hire, or for use in a business or manufacturing establishment, or as contractors’ outfits, such as office equipment and furniture, dental chairs, welding equipment, metal and woodworking machines, vehicles and trailers for commercial use;
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...1-eng.html#_a8
Old Dec 27th 2013, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Dependent on how many items you have and their value be aware that the cd's used for djaying could be subject to taxes as these are used for a business.
Thanks for your replies.

I did wonder this. But i don't do doing dj-ing as a business. Its just a hobby. I don't play commercial music like a wedding dj does. I dj because I love the music I go and hear at certain events of the scene I'm in to.

Also, the cd's are of mp3's I have bought online and then burnt on to a blank cd. So in reality they aren't worth any valve. Except the price of a blank cd. As its from my music collection on my laptop. I very much doubt they go though everyones music collection on there computer.

My profession is a tradesman. Which I now noticed that you get taxed on bringing tools to Canada. As I just have a bag of tools, makes me wonder if Im better off gett a few hundred quid for them and just buy new ones when I get out there.

Last edited by MrHyperPants; Dec 27th 2013 at 7:04 pm.