Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question about applying for IEC ahead of PR for spouse, with a child?

Question about applying for IEC ahead of PR for spouse, with a child?

Old Jun 29th 2012, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Darwinder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about applying for IEC ahead of PR for spouse, with a child?

Hey guys and gals!

A bit of background...I am Canadian by birth, my wife is Swedish by birth and our 2 year old has dual. We are married and live in Sweden currently. My wife and I are both under 30.

We have been looking to apply for a PR in the Family Class with me sponsoring my wife so that we can come back to Canada but I am wondering now if as a faster solution she would be eligible for an IEC since we have a daughter.....but our daughter is Canadian and thus not actually a dependent?

This would be perfect for our situation, we could get to Canada more quickly and then apply for an outland PR from Calgary.

Anyone know or done this same thing?

Thanks so much for any and all help!

Last edited by Darwinder; Jun 29th 2012 at 12:59 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about applying for IEC ahead of PR for spouse, with a child?

IEC is now closed and wont open until probably Jan 2013 then the couple of months to get it approved. Personally I would go spousal route though the IEC would let her work. Depends when you want to move.
There again in your situation you can move whenever you want.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...sor/spouse.asp
Old Jun 29th 2012, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Question about applying for IEC ahead of PR for spouse, with a child?

Are you sure the IEC is closed for Swedish citizens? Brits maybe I can understand, there are only so many and they go quickly, but I was told that they still had lots left for Sweden? Do you know where I could verify?
Old Jun 29th 2012, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Try this link
Although not officially closed there are limited spots available.
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...ex.aspx?view=d
Old Jun 29th 2012, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Woah, scared me for a minute, yah there is still lots left...

Quota: 450
Working Holiday places remaining: 265
Updated: 01/06/2012

On a side note, I was actually the first ever Canadian to come to Sweden on the program way back in 2006 when it first started, got the first Working Holiday Visa given out haha.

But still the answer lingers, would it be a problem to go this route since we have a child but our child is a Canadian citizen and thus not a travelling dependent by defination? Has anyone else done this? Did you all "land" together at the port of entry without issues?

Thanks for the help so far Former Lancastrian, I appreciate you trying to help out! Our plan is to apply ASAP for the outland spousal PR once we get to Calgary if we can go the IEC way. My application to come to Sweden on the program back in 2006 took about 6 weeks to process so I know its much much quicker than the PR way.

Last edited by Darwinder; Jun 29th 2012 at 1:11 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 1:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Darwinder
But still the answer lingers, would it be a problem to go this route since we have a child but our child is a Canadian citizen and thus not a travelling dependent by defination? Has anyone else done this? Did you all "land" together at the port of entry without issues?
Maybe the rules are different for the Swedish program, but for the UK program people with dependents are eligible for an IEC visa, so even having a non-Canadian citizen child wouldn't be an issue.

FWIW, personally I'd just apply for PR now anyway, it's only going to take around 6 months (unless Sweden's timescales are massively different to the UK's), and the IEC will take 10-12 weeks or so (again, unless the timescales are different).

You could always apply for both now, and then go with whatever you get.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Darwinder
Woah, scared me for a minute, yah there is still lots left...

Quota: 450
Working Holiday places remaining: 265
Updated: 01/06/2012

On a side note, I was actually the first ever Canadian to come to Sweden on the program way back in 2006 when it first started, got the first Working Holiday Visa given out haha.

Thanks for the help so far Former Lancastrian, I appreciate you trying to help out! Our plan is to apply ASAP for the outland spousal PR once we get to Calgary if we can go the IEC way. My application to come to Sweden on the program back in 2006 took about 6 weeks to process so I know its much much quicker than the PR way.
There is no problem going that route if you choose. Im guessing you want your wife to be able to work as quickly as possible when arriving which the IEC will let her do. You would be treated as a Former Resident and they would probably include your child in that with evidence of Canadian citizenship. Wife would be issued a TWP at the POE and then once spousal application is submitted some time later COPR would be issued and she could flagpole or make arrangements at the nearest CIC office to do her landing.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Yah, it seems on the application form that dependants are only considered as ones that dont have entry requirements, but I would love to hear from someone that has been through this situation! I couldnt imagine packing everything into storage, buying tickets and getting stopped at the border, worst nightmare!

Yes, one of the main considerations is that my wife could start working right away. Lets just say she isnt the type to sit at home, that is her worst nightmare haha, and we arent that old so our economy is a top priority, make sure that we can have money coming in within a month or so after landing is a big thing for us. (We do have more than enough, its not dire, its just that we really want to buy a house in the near future and dont want to use our hard earned savings).

Our plan of attack would be to get the IEC quickly, move to Calgary (I have a very good job waiting for me, hence the rush), but have the outland PR forms ready to go and once we get an address in Calgary submit all the forms ASAP with our current address so that we dont have to make any changes later. It gives us 12 months to recieve the PR which should be plenty of time...as long as we dont get called to London for interviews!

Last edited by Darwinder; Jun 29th 2012 at 1:29 pm.