Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Quebec: Where I will get more points?

Quebec: Where I will get more points?

Old Feb 4th 2012, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

teaspoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quebec: Where I will get more points?

Which is better?
4 years in college (Registered nurse certificate)
Or two years at university (Bachelor's degree completion)
Where I will get more points?

Tanks
Old Feb 5th 2012, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

nerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nice
Default Re: Quebec: Where I will get more points?

It's difficult to answer without knowing which bachelor's degree you have.

Presuming that you degree is in not in a field that is in particular demand in Quebec, then nursing probably gets you more points; 12 according to this table taken from the official Immigration Quebec website:http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.q...t-training.pdf
Again, depends on which qualification you have exactly. Find it in the left hand side column (assuming you didn't qualify in Quebec, in which case you need to right hand side). The nearest top heading will tell you how many points you should get, depending on whether you are the principal applicant or accompanying spouse.

Note: to actually get the points, you will have to demonstrate at least a year's experience in that field in the past 5 or 10 years (sorry, can't remember which exactly, but if you look around in the Quebec website, you should find out).
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.q...ers/index.html

If you haven't done so yet, you could try their online evaluation - once inputting your details with your nursing credentials, then do it again with your degree details instead, see if it makes a difference.
http://www.form.services.micc.gouv.q...anguageCode=en

You should put both qualifications in your application anyway - the immigration agent will choose for you which qualification gives you the most points.

Also - how is your French? You would be unlikely to get in without the basics at the very least... you will probably get called for an interview (in Paris, if you live in the UK) during which they will check on your French, and ensure that you do intend to go an settle in Quebec.

Good luck!
Old Feb 8th 2012, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

limeloveaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by teaspoon
Which is better?
4 years in college (Registered nurse certificate)
Or two years at university (Bachelor's degree completion)
Where I will get more points?

Tanks
well u will got more points for ur bachelor bcoz it comes under Section B area of training.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

nerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nice

Originally Posted by limeloveaman
well u will got more points for ur bachelor bcoz it comes under Section B area of training.
Not sure how you figured that out without knowing what field/subject the OP's bachelor's degree is? Mine got me zero points as it is in languages, whereas my husband's gave us 2 points, being in Computer Science. So it varies. If both the OP's degree and other diploma are in nursing, they are both worth 12 points. But we don't know that's the case as the OP hasn't replied. And again, that's with proof of work in the field. Without an employer's letter, it's zero points regardless...
Old Feb 8th 2012, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

limeloveaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nerdherd
Not sure how you figured that out without knowing what field/subject the OP's bachelor's degree is? Mine got me zero points as it is in languages, whereas my husband's gave us 2 points, being in Computer Science. So it varies. If both the OP's degree and other diploma are in nursing, they are both worth 12 points. But we don't know that's the case as the OP hasn't replied. And again, that's with proof of work in the field. Without an employer's letter, it's zero points regardless...
It is very obvious that the work exp. is required.. and for your kind information that Diploma of nursing comes under Section C area of Training which is having only 6 points. nursing with 3 years is in B area of training it may be the B.sc and other course with 3 years duration.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Wow, no need to take that tone, I was only asking how you'd come to that conclusion, as I can't see this on the document: either I am blind or we are looking at different documents. I can't see any diploma for nursing under section C. However in section B under 'college level technical training', there is 'Nursing (DCS - 3 years)'....