quebec route

Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

kelco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default quebec route

hi everyone

i have been reading through the posts on the whole emmigration to canada process and like everyone else that has recently applied i'm a little dismayed at the time scale (39 months on website)
I was wondering has anybody gone down the quebec route as this is done through paris where the wait is less then 12 months?
or has anybody gone over to study and applied from within canada for PR. Trying to find some way around this 39 month wait
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: quebec route

Originally Posted by kelco
hi everyone

i have been reading through the posts on the whole emmigration to canada process and like everyone else that has recently applied i'm a little dismayed at the time scale (39 months on website)
I was wondering has anybody gone down the quebec route as this is done through paris where the wait is less then 12 months?
The Quebec immigration office is in Paris, but after being selected by Quebec you still need to apply to CIC London if you are British and living in the UK. Although processing time in London for most CSQ cases would be less than 39 months.

Quebec is a French speaking province and Quebec selected immigrants are expected to settle in Quebec - are you willing to learn French?

And children of immigrants in Quebec have to attend French language schools, so the same goes for your children.

or has anybody gone over to study and applied from within canada for PR.
Expensive with no guarantee of success, and in the worst case you may have to go home in the end with a Canadian qualification that's not recognised (or nothing at all if you fail).

Trying to find some way around this 39 month wait

Consider Australia or New Zealand instead, if you qualify?

Jeremy
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:33 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

It will still take you anywhere from 3 to 12+ months to obtain Quebec Selection certificate (CSQ) and then with such you must still apply for PR visa through proper visa post. It will be faster than federal skilled workers class, but it will still take 9 to 20+ months depending from many factors. Browse through older posts and you'll read reports of fast process as well as reports of horrors, particularly in Paris.

And as Jeremy stated - you need to reside in Quebec.

hi everyone

or has anybody gone over to study and applied from within canada for PR. Trying to find some way around this 39 month wait
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

Location: Utah to New York and New York to Quebec or Elsewhere, confused!
Utah2Quebec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Expensive with no guarantee of success, and in the worst case you may have to go home in the end with a Canadian qualification that's not recognised (or nothing at all if you fail).

Jeremy
Jeremy, I have read some of your other posts and you have given people good advice and I think you are pretty knowledgable on immigration stuff. But the answer above, you got everything wrong. I have heard that British people hate French and French hate British. I am not sure if you are a British or Australian as I can see your location Australia. You do not have to provide somebody wrong information just because you hate Quebec. What are you talking about not guarantee of success? I understand that there is no guaratee that the person will get Quebec PR. Same applies to Australia and Zew Zealand as well. I am pretty sure that his time in Quebec and knowledge of Frech will not be wasted.

Did you know that you get 8 points for French even you go through federal? Did you know that he/she gets point for staying in Canada and last time I checked Quebec was in Canada. He/she gets points for education in Canada no matter if it is in BC or Quebec.

The most trouebling part of your answer was Canadian qualification not being recognized. I know you are talking about Quebec qualification. Have you ever heard schools like McGill and HEC-Montreal? Just to let you know that degrees from those two schools are much better than any schools in Australia, if you are from there. If you are a British, only one school ranks higher than HEC-Motreal is London Business School, if that person is thinking about an MBA degree. I have seen a lot of professors who got their PhDs in McGill and teaching in some of the best schools in the US, but never met a single guy with an Australian degree.

My point is, Quebec has fine schools (taught in English) and knowing French is never a waste of time. It is 5th most spoken langauge in the world and a lot of international organzations use French as their official language along with English. Do not give that kind of bias answer to anybody when somebody is looking for an honest opinion.

Thanks
Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Utah2Quebec
Jeremy, I have read some of your other posts and you have given people good advice and I think you are pretty knowledgable on immigration stuff. But the answer above, you got everything wrong.
Excuse me.

I made a specific remark in a specific context. Someone posted about getting PR through study in Canada, and I pointed out:

1. PR is not guaranteed from a Canadian qualification (and it's not); and
2. A Canadian qualification may not be well recognised in the person's home country. Nothing specific against Canadian qualifications, just a general observation that many, if not most, countries give preference to domestic qualifications over foreign ones.

As for the rest of your post, goodness knows where you got your impressions from but you seem to have taken a lot of things seriously out of context.

Jeremy
Old Jan 11th 2006, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Excuse me.

I made a specific remark in a specific context. Someone posted about getting PR through study in Canada, and I pointed out:

1. PR is not guaranteed from a Canadian qualification (and it's not); and
2. A Canadian qualification may not be well recognised in the person's home country. Nothing specific against Canadian qualifications, just a general observation that many, if not most, countries give preference to domestic qualifications over foreign ones.

As for the rest of your post, goodness knows where you got your impressions from but you seem to have taken a lot of things seriously out of context.

Jeremy
Jeremy,

The person who posted the question did not mention what he/she wanted to study. And you answered him pretty much saying you will waste your time studying in Quebec/Canada. Where did you get that idea that the degree he will receive in Canada will not be recognized in his home country? The person did not say what country he was from. You may be right that the degree from Canada is not value the same way in the UK and Australia. What if that person was from Africa or South Asia? Do you know what it means to have a degree from Canada to these people? Ask me and I will tell you one of these days.

So you made a lot of assumptions while answering the question and I did the same. I just felt that people do not want to talk about Quebec in this forum either they hate it or they do not have enough knowledge about it. I have also found that I ask some question that applies to both Quebec and Federal and anybody who has gone through Federal process can answer, but they do not answer my question because it is about Quebec. That's the way I feel.

Anyway, I have great respect for you and what you do in this forum even though I do not know who you are and will never know. I am sorry I was too serious on my previous post. I am sorry for being rude.

Thanks
Old Jan 11th 2006, 4:32 am
JAJ
Retired

Jeremy,

The person who posted the question did not mention what he/she wanted to study. And you answered him pretty much saying you will waste your time studying in Quebec/Canada. Where did you get that idea that the degree he will receive in Canada will not be recognized in his home country?
With respect I said *may* not be, rather than *will* not be.
Obviously it depends on circumstances.

People need to do their own reasearch, and evaluate the costs, risks and benefits. Your apology is accepted

Jeremy
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

I do feel the same utah2quebec, many -including experts- when talking about the Quebec immigration process they hesitate and don't prefer to encourage people about it, but I think this is most of the time due to lack of information.
Although Quebec immigration system is very old compared to other PNP but it's been vague and confusing, quebec government behaves and wants to be different and unique not only in choosing immigrants but also in other legislation, in educational system, professional organisation ...etc this might explain why people don't like to talk about quebec.

examples of the lack of information in the above post includes :
1- you don't need to speak french in Quebec as there are large english speaking areas in montreal and other parts of Quebec, and I personally know people who lived in Montreal for all their lives and don't speak french.
2- published processing times to obtain CSQ for Britons is 3-8 months (most of the time its less) and for the federal process it took 6 months to finalise 50% of applications and 10 months for 80%, bearing in mind that unlike the federal timeline, quebec federal part is unlikely to change. so all in all as an average we are talking about expected 9-12 months which is significantly shorter than the expected 39 months in the federal route.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the replies. Hope I didn’t start an argument with my first post!
Montreal is the first choice regardless of application process. I passed the new online evaluation for Québec. I am concerned that they may refuse my application as I have neither occupations in demand or desirable qualifications. My French is basic but this could be improved on fairly quickly.

What I would like to find out is if anybody has applied in a similar situation and how have they got on? Also would like to know if I do apply now for CSQ and am declined will I still be able to go to Montréal to study (MBA) and apply again before I qualify thus improving my overall points and chances of acceptance?

I did have a search through the old post but most situations seemed to be quiet different to mine.

I am 29, Irish, bachelor’s degree in business, 6 years work experience, no criminal record and no health problems.

I realize that there are no guarantees I’m just trying to find out/improve the likely hood of acceptance

thanks again
Old Jan 12th 2006, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the replies. Hope I didn’t start an argument with my first post!
Montreal is the first choice regardless of application process. I passed the new online evaluation for Québec. I am concerned that they may refuse my application as I have neither occupations in demand or desirable qualifications. My French is basic but this could be improved on fairly quickly.

What I would like to find out is if anybody has applied in a similar situation and how have they got on? Also would like to know if I do apply now for CSQ and am declined will I still be able to go to Montréal to study (MBA) and apply again before I qualify thus improving my overall points and chances of acceptance?

I did have a search through the old post but most situations seemed to be quiet different to mine.

I am 29, Irish, bachelor’s degree in business, 6 years work experience, no criminal record and no health problems.

I realize that there are no guarantees I’m just trying to find out/improve the likely hood of acceptance

thanks again
in a glance I can calculate your points you can get 9 points for education, 10 for work experience, 10 for age 10 for english language and and basic french level 1 point for financial 8 for emplymenemploymenteans 48 points in additoinadditiono 10 points for personal qualities, motivation and knowledge of Quebec (only awarded at the time of interview) your can claim up to 58 points or little bit less.

unless you can make extra points from having relatives or friends in Quebec, if you have vistitedvisited or stayed in Quebec or improving your french level I don't think you have good chances to qualify.

If your married or have children, you can have claim points but the passmarkpassmark 65 points.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ibraheem

If your married or have children, you can have claim points but the passmarkpassmark 65 points.
I think the passmark is 68, if you are married (and have children). I may be wrong.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

your not wrong, its 68 points sorry I was really in hurry and sorry for spelling mistakes

I think the passmark is 68, if you are married (and have children). I may be wrong.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 2:03 am
Just Joined

Dont feel to confident myself about applying straight away through quebec. Think i'll apply for the USIT U35 working visa and see how i get on brush up on the french over in montreal and hopefully find a sponsor while i'm there.

I hear its nothing like euro french . Funny that the new test gives me a pass mark and tells me to apply even with the basic french.

thanks again for all the info really appreciate it
Old Jan 14th 2006, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Dont feel to confident myself about applying straight away through quebec. Think i'll apply for the USIT U35 working visa and see how i get on brush up on the french over in montreal and hopefully find a sponsor while i'm there.

I hear its nothing like euro french . Funny that the new test gives me a pass mark and tells me to apply even with the basic french.

thanks again for all the info really appreciate it
Same thing happened to me. Test says I am qualified even with only entering bachelor's degree and basic French. When I calculated my points with the old number systems (with my master's degree), I do not have enough points unless the immigration officer gives me 10 points for personal qualities, motivation, and knowledge of Quebec. But I am sending my application in a couple of days anyway and see what happens. If I get my CSQ that would be great, if not I will lose US$600.

Good luck to you whatever you decided to do.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

If I were you I would give Quebec a visit for a few weeks, there you can make extra points from visiting quebec, making a friend there (if your lucky) and improve your french.