Quebec - Ontario Move ?

Old May 9th 2013, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

sinc87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quebec - Ontario Move ?

Hi guys!

Thanks again for all the help the past few years!!

Quick question, I am no a permanent resident of canada at long last!! but realise how lucky i am! My job has asked if I would like to take a job in another part of canada, just wondering what my limitations are as i am a Quebec Skilled worker and with my health insurance? Am i bound by Quebec to live there and there only? just dont want to accept if I cant obviously haha.

Thanks again!!!
Old May 9th 2013, 8:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quebec - Ontario Move ?

I changed the thread title so that you may get more responses.

How long have you had PR and was it Provincial nomination or through another stream?

Congrats, by the way!

Old May 9th 2013, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

haha thanks! and Thanks!

Ive been here for 2 months, however i did live in quebec for just over 2 years previous on a working holiday visa.

The job is too good to turn down but I have a feeling I might have too :-(
Old May 9th 2013, 9:07 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinc87
haha thanks! and Thanks!

Ive been here for 2 months, however i did live in quebec for just over 2 years previous on a working holiday visa.

The job is too good to turn down but I have a feeling I might have too :-(
I am not sure if they can require you to remain in Quebec, regardless - it will be interesting to read the answers you get!

The Canada Charter of Rights and Freedoms says that any PR has the right to live and work anywhere in Canada, you would I presume still be working for a Quebec company (even though in a different Province)?

Last edited by Siouxie; May 9th 2013 at 9:11 pm.
Old May 9th 2013, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Well it would be with Future Shop ( Best Buy )
Old May 9th 2013, 11:03 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a permanent resident you should be OK but seek professional advice to confirm.

I've heard of cases where Quebec PNP nominees have had the nomination withdrawn (prior to PR) as they were working outside Quebec. Apparently, they run checks using the Quebec tax return to monitor compliance.
Old May 10th 2013, 1:55 am
Just Joined

I havent applied for my medial card in quebec yet ( I know :-s ive been very very busy! ) would it make a difference if i just applied in ontario then?
Old May 12th 2013, 4:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

When you applied to CIC for permanent residence, did you sign a declaration of intent to live in Quebec? Was that intention still valid when you became a permanent resident?
Old May 12th 2013, 12:20 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

This is all about intent. If you intended to live in Quebec when you landed, then all is good. If you did not intend to remain in Quebec when you landed then you obtained PR fraudulently. It is obviously beneficial to you to be able to demonstrate this intent through making initial ties to Quebec.

Last edited by BTJ; May 12th 2013 at 12:24 pm.
Old May 12th 2013, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

I did originally intend too, hence living there for two years before I got my PR as I was here on a working holiday visa. Is that enough intent? How would they check? etc.
Old May 13th 2013, 3:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I did originally intend too, hence living there for two years before I got my PR as I was here on a working holiday visa. Is that enough intent? How would they check?
Does the Quebec Immigration service expect you to stay in touch with them for a certain period of time? If yes, then that's one way "they" could check. Since it's not that long since you became a permanent resident, it is recommended to seek advice from a good immigration lawyer.
Old May 13th 2013, 4:06 am
Just Joined

Do you recommend any? I am very confused as to what to do now.
Old May 13th 2013, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys!

Thanks again for all the help the past few years!!

Quick question, I am no a permanent resident of canada at long last!! but realise how lucky i am! My job has asked if I would like to take a job in another part of canada, just wondering what my limitations are as i am a Quebec Skilled worker and with my health insurance? Am i bound by Quebec to live there and there only? just dont want to accept if I cant obviously haha.

Thanks again!!!
As a PR, you are free to live/work anywhere in Canada. Your intent to reside in Quebec is judged at the time you "land" (which if you're already in Canada usually means a CBSA interview). Once you've taken up PR in Canada, there really isn't much they can do. There is no set time limit that you have to live in Quebec afterwards. As long as you truly intended to reside in Quebec at the time you "landed", you have done nothing wrong. Now obviously if you never actually took up residence in Quebec, then it would be obvious afterwards that you lied about your intent. This is certainly not the case here - but even if it was, it's not clear that anything could be done about it.

In addition, it appears from your post that it's actually your current employer who is asking you to make the move to work elsewhere in Canada? Is this true? Did this first come up after PR? If so, this is stronger evidence in your favour that you did not intend to reside anywhere other than Quebec at the time you "landed". Although, as I said, I don't think you even need this additional evidence since your intent as judged by CBSA at the time of "landing" is all that matters.

Last edited by MarylandNed; May 13th 2013 at 3:38 pm.