Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Qualifications/CIC self assesment tool

Qualifications/CIC self assesment tool

Old Sep 1st 2005, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

mrrod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qualifications/CIC self assesment tool

On the CIC website there's the self-assesment test we can take to see if we have enough points to even apply for PR. One of the questions is about qualifications, i checked the the 'Obtained a one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 12 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies' entry.Now my concern is that i had a 1 year apprenticeship as a cabnet maker(woodwork)with the first company i worked for after leaving school but there was no documentation stating i had an appreticeship,they taught me everything 'in-house' and not through college, i did though carry on in the same field(woodwork) for the next 14 years, now working as an IT technician the last 2 years of working in the UK.
So do i qualify for this entry on the assesment or not? if not would i be able to take a college course and then state i have a diploma/trade cert and the relevent years? When the question asks 12 years of full-time or full time equivqlent studies,is it refering to work or actual studying? 12 years studying seems a bit long!!!

Regards
Mrrod37

Last edited by mrrod; Sep 1st 2005 at 1:28 am.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 2:01 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Qualifications/CIC self assesment tool

If your apprenticeship didn't result in diploma then you don't have anything beyond secondary education which is only 5 points. You need to find out if your 14 years experience can be credited towards proper trade certificate - contact local trade board, education board or whoever who is granting trade certificates anf find out. No paper = no points, sorry.

12 years means 12 years of full time or full time equivalent study starting from grade 1 in elementary school.

Full time equivalent is the time needed to complete particular education level if taken on standard, full time basis.

Originally Posted by mrrod
On the CIC website there's the self-assesment test we can take to see if we have enough points to even apply for PR. One of the questions is about qualifications, i checked the the 'Obtained a one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 12 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies' entry.Now my concern is that i had a 1 year apprenticeship as a cabnet maker(woodwork)with the first company i worked for after leaving school but there was no documentation stating i had an appreticeship,they taught me everything 'in-house' and not through college, i did though carry on in the same field(woodwork) for the next 14 years, now working as an IT technician the last 2 years of working in the UK.
So do i qualify for this entry on the assesment or not? if not would i be able to take a college course and then state i have a diploma/trade cert and the relevent years? When the question asks 12 years of full-time or full time equivqlent studies,is it refering to work or actual studying? 12 years studying seems a bit long!!!

Regards
Mrrod37
Old Sep 1st 2005, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

can you still get PR even if you have only 5 points for education but still meet or surpass passmark?
Old Sep 1st 2005, 2:56 am

It is possible but remember that reaching or exceeding pass mark doesn't guarantee approval.

Originally Posted by kleinluka
can you still get PR even if you have only 5 points for education but still meet or surpass passmark?
Old Sep 1st 2005, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
It is possible but remember that reaching or exceeding pass mark doesn't guarantee approval.

Grade 1 in UK, is that from the age of 5 for school or 7? i started school at the age of 5 as an infant.

Is it true that the process time for PR to Canada is 2-6 years? if so and i were to better my education and then apply for PR I'd find that i wouldn't be able to get PR for a very long time indeed!!

In the meantime i'll be contacting my trade board as you sugested.

Last edited by mrrod; Sep 1st 2005 at 3:06 am.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 3:50 am

Pre-school and kindergaten don't count. 1st grade of elementary school is when education starts.

Yes, process may take anywhere from 2 to 7+ years, depending from many factors.

Grade 1 in UK, is that from the age of 5 for school or 7? i started school at the age of 5 as an infant.

Is it true that the process time for PR to Canada is 2-6 years? if so and i were to better my education and then apply for PR I'd find that i wouldn't be able to get PR for a very long time indeed!!

In the meantime i'll be contacting my trade board as you sugested.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Pre-school and kindergaten don't count. 1st grade of elementary school is when education starts.

Yes, process may take anywhere from 2 to 7+ years, depending from many factors.
What would be the factors of someone having to wait 7 years? that seems such a long time.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 5:04 am

Poorly prepared application package, inconclusive evidence, case specific doubts and question officer may have not fully addressed in the package - those are main reasons leading to processing delays, requests for more info, lenghty verification process and interview. In addition more complex background, living in more than one country - leads to longer security check.

For example CHC London reports average processing times for cases concluded in period July 2004 to June 2005 between 21 and 41 months - those are just averages and real timelines varied in that period from 12 months to 5+ years. And since about a month CHC London in AOR letters informs new applicants not to expect anything for at least 3 years - it is about 12 months jump just within few months.

Visa posts with larger backlogs have processing times much longer than CHC London.

What would be the factors of someone having to wait 7 years? that seems such a long time.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Sep 2nd 2005 at 5:08 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

So It would be to ones advantage to use someone like yourself? to make sure all relevent information is posted and so less waiting time?

P.s. Refering to your post regarding contacting local trade board, education board, i have a friend who's a physics teacher, told him my dilema and he's contacting the relevent people for me. Some good news at least.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 4:10 pm

Yes, this is the benefit of using authorized immigration practitioner like myself. Making sure that application package is perfectly compiled and prepared, that all facts claims are conclusively documented, that case specific matters are fully addressed and evidenced and that there is nothing left for officer's interpretation or need for additional verification and interview.

And of course demonstrating applicant's ablity to succeed in Canada as application may be refused if such ability is not fully demonstrated and documented, even if applicant has more than enough points.

It is indeed a good news about your friend.

So It would be to ones advantage to use someone like yourself? to make sure all relevent information is posted and so less waiting time?

P.s. Refering to your post regarding contacting local trade board, education board, i have a friend who's a physics teacher, told him my dilema and he's contacting the relevent people for me. Some good news at least.