Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Q's re LMIA for both TWP & EE and timeline

Q's re LMIA for both TWP & EE and timeline

Old Apr 25th 2016, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Lifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Q's re LMIA for both TWP & EE and timeline

Hi,

Following some very useful advice on my previous thread, I applied for a job in Canada and now have an interview!

I want to make sure I have the right info to hand should they ask about my eligibility to work in Canada.

I'm in the UK and score around 480 on online EE tests although I haven't submitted am EE application yet as need to do IELTS etc.

If I were to be offered this job the start date would be in 3 months.

From my research it appears that it should be possible to get the LMIA and my TWP within this time frame but I would appreciate some expert advice.

The role is advertised as permanent so I believe the employer can apply for a LMIA to cover both the TWP and my EE application at the same time. This would enable me to go over on a temp permit to start work asap whilst the PR application goes on in the background. Have I understood this correctly?

As the salary will be in the top 10% the LMIA should come through in 10 working days unless they require additional information. Provided that is ok then it should take just one month to get the temporary work permit according to the CIC website.

Does this seem realistic? I have a 3 month notice period at work anyway but in theory could it all happen this quickly?
Old Apr 25th 2016, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Q's re LMIA for both TWP & EE and timeline

Do NOT rely on the possibility of a 10 day LMIA option - they very rarely happen.

You are not currently, according to the info you provide, eligible to work in Canada. The employer will still need to apply for and get an LMIA, & pay 1k to do so, before they can employ you.

If you score around 480 on the CRS, I'd suggest getting your EE application done sooner rather than later. That's a good score. It makes no difference to whether you'd get a TWP/your putative employer getting an LMIA.

Good luck with the interview!
Old Apr 26th 2016, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Lifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Yes I will still be doing EE but have quite a lot of paperwork to gather before I can do it so assumed TWP was the quicker way to get there if I got an offer and positive LMIA.

What would be a more realistic timeline for the LMIA?
Old Apr 26th 2016, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lifebeginsat36
Thanks. Yes I will still be doing EE but have quite a lot of paperwork to gather before I can do it so assumed TWP was the quicker way to get there if I got an offer and positive LMIA.

What would be a more realistic timeline for the LMIA?
Several weeks with no guarantee the LMIA would be approved as the employer has to basically show there are no qualified Canadians to do the job or have applied for the job.
The employer also has to pay the $1000 fee even if a negative application.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Several weeks with no guarantee the LMIA would be approved as the employer has to basically show there are no qualified Canadians or PRs to do the job or have applied for the job.
The employer also has to pay the $1000 fee even if a negative application.
Or months, etc.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Are LMIA quite rare to be approved then? It is a very niche management role. They have said they will apply if I'm the candidate they want. It has been advertised for a while now.

If the LMIA is refused but the employer is willing to wait for my EE application to go through could PNP be an option to support my EE application? I'm thinking that if I have a job offer supported by PNP then I might be able to submit my EE profile sooner rather than in a couple of months once language tests etc have been taken.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Why do they advise 10 working days for highest salary roles if this is really months when it comes down to it?
Old Apr 26th 2016, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lifebeginsat36
Why do they advise 10 working days for highest salary roles if this is really months when it comes down to it?
Because it's entirely at the discretion of ESDC, you'll notice there's no published processing times for LMIA applications.

There's only been one forum member I know of who qualified for 10 (business) day processing and even then it was 30 (calendar) days processing IIRC. Also, the employer has to make sure that they have followed the rules around advertising the job before they can apply for LMIA which may add another few weeks to the process.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

LMIA approvals are not a walk in the park, but they do happen regularly, just not always as fast as one might think.

Think of the 10 day "fast track" as an urgent situation: would the company suffer serious (immediate) consequences if the position is not filled rapidly? Etc.

If the position has been advertised for several months, & the company isn't suffering from the delay in filling the post, then the 10 day option might not apply.

If you score ~480 on the CRS, I personally would get my EE application in ASAP. It doesn't sound as if the putative employer is in too much of a rush; employer could do the no-$ LMIA to support your EE application.

I'm repeating myself
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Confusedmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
My husband just received a positive LMIA, he qualified for the 10 day option and I don't know if it took 10 days but it was certainly less than 2 weeks from them sending the documents in and receiving confirmation.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the positive story Confusedmum.