Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Provincial Nomination Scheme and TWP questions

Provincial Nomination Scheme and TWP questions

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

midgetgem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Provincial Nomination Scheme and TWP questions

We have just found out that we are not going to be eligable for the Community Identified Stream - however my OH has a job offer. The company is putting in for a LMO today. We have been here for 5 months now though and will need to renew our visitors visa - or will we???? If the application is in the process for TWP do we still need to pay for an extension?

Also, if we are off the Provincial Nomination Scheme and OH gets a WP does it mean I cannot get an open permit now? I think I have read that you need to have the Provincial backing before they would support the other halfs permit. Will that be me back to a 'trailing partner'???

Also, what is the time scale for TWP at the present time? He would not require medical or anything for the position.

Many thanks again to this site for help.

Last edited by midgetgem; Mar 23rd 2009 at 3:07 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:23 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Provincial Nomination Scheme and TWP questions

Hi

Originally Posted by midgetgem
We have just found out that we are not going to be eligable for the Community Identified Stream - however my OH has a job offer. The company is putting in for a LMO today. We have been here for 5 months now though and will need to renew our visitors visa - or will we???? If the application is in the process for TWP do we still need to pay for an extension?

Also, if we are off the Provincial Nomination Scheme and OH gets a WP does it mean I cannot get an open permit now? I think I have read that you need to have the Provincial backing before they would support the other halfs permit. Will that be me back to a 'trailing partner'???

Also, what is the time scale for TWP at the present time? He would not require medical or anything for the position.

1. If your spouse gets an approved LMO the application can be made at a port of entry, as long as a medical is not required He CAN'T apply in Canada. As to renewal, I would not want to run out of status, depending on how long the LMO takes.
2. If your spouse's job is in either A,B or O of the NOC then you can obtain a SOWP at the same time as your spouse.
3. You are mixing apples and oranges, SOWP and LMO have nothing to do with the PNP program.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:30 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

re the first question, if you arrived under the visa waiver for UK citizens then you will have been issued with 6 month visitor status. You have to apply for an extension at least 30 days before your current status expires so if you have been here 5 months you need to do this now.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Paul, have sent you a PM

We have so many pokers in the fire!! We are still awaiting this provincial nomination letter. If we get this soon we can go to the border to get the TWP. It is not normal practice to do this but Immigration can issue a letter of support.

But meantime I had better send for the extension - our visa is out 28th April!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 6:33 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks Paul, have sent you a PM

We have so many pokers in the fire!! We are still awaiting this provincial nomination letter. If we get this soon we can go to the border to get the TWP. It is not normal practice to do this but Immigration can issue a letter of support.

But meantime I had better send for the extension - our visa is out 28th April!
Excuse me, but am I missing something here? You said that you didn't qualify for the PNP CI stream, and are getting an LMO so you can apply for TWP. The LMO/TWP has nothing to do with the PNP program as far as I know.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

You wonder why I am demented! Our paperwork was all received before we left UK but circumstances were such that it was better for us to live her in the meantime.

But ...... we have given about 3 lots of additional information to obtain our Nomination but it is looking like it isn't going to happen! So hubby has had to go and secure a job offer, therefore we are now applying for a LMO and a TWP!!!!! Obviously still hoping the Provincial Nomination may come. They are only letting us stay on the stream as we are so far along the road. I have to let them know if we get a TWP and it hopefully will quicken our case - apparently!!

Do you know roughly how long a TWP takes?

Last edited by midgetgem; Mar 23rd 2009 at 9:42 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know roughly how long a TWP takes?
If you apply for TWP at the border then it's immediate. The LMO is the bit that takes a while but it can vary, can be as quick as 2 weeks or take as long as 6 months.

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

I'm confused, I was told we couldn't go to the border for a TWP we had to wait for it in the post.

This company who are doing LMO haven't done one before. Can you get an indication as to how long it would take? I don't know how the situation is with regard to keeping extending our visitors visa!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused, I was told we couldn't go to the border for a TWP we had to wait for it in the post.

This company who are doing LMO haven't done one before. Can you get an indication as to how long it would take? I don't know how the situation is with regard to keeping extending our visitors visa!
As I said above, the LMO can take 2 weeks or 6 months. No way of telling I'm afraid.

Don't know why you wouldn't be able to go to the border for a TWP? Have never heard of not being allowed to do that before. Have a read of this for info................http://britishexpats.com/wiki/TWP_:_...o_apply-Canada

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Oh dear, was getting p*** off before but this is worse!

Have read the link ... thank you. Def says we can go to the 'flagpole as they call it. But someone at Immigration specifically phoned me back to say we couldn't do it! Why is it that everyone does not seem to sing from the same hymn sheet?

Last edited by midgetgem; Mar 23rd 2009 at 10:13 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Just out of interest, do you know how many times you can extend your visitors visa? I had a friend in Halifax, they would only give her 28 days time, can't contact her now, I can only assume she has gone home! She really got left hanging about and they seemed to squueze as much money out of her as possible.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:35 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

Oh dear, was getting p*** off before but this is worse!

Have read the link ... thank you. Def says we can go to the 'flagpole as they call it. But someone at Immigration specifically phoned me back to say we couldn't do it! Why is it that everyone does not seem to sing from the same hymn sheet?
1. As you are Visitors you can't apply for a work permit in Canada, you don't have a choice, you have to go to the border once you receive your approved LMO.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

I just can't believe this ... this is totally different than what I was told! Thank you thogh for confirming. Just worried now about this LMO. With all the stress we've had aother 6 months just waiting'll kill me!!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:41 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Sorry I am just trying to clarify the info, if your OH has a job offer, is the job one that can be used for the NS Skilled worker PNP as an alternative to the CI route?

If not, and this is the reason you are looking to obtain a WP and then convert this to PR in the long term, then I am not sure why you are not able to flag pole to obtain the WP(unless you needed med for the job etc which you said he didnt).

The 2 routes seem to be crossing a bit, from what I see there are 2 options-

1- you continue to stick with the PNP CI stream Application, if you get nominated then Halifax can write a letter of support to get over the LMO requirement to obtain a WP

2- Forget the NS PNP route, apply for the LMO and then obtain the WP by flagpoling

3- Not sure from your earlier posts, have Halifax suggested they will still write a letter of some kind, even if you are not nominated to assist with the LMO issue, and you will get a WP this way, however it will come in the post and hence why they have specifically called and advised you that you cannot flagpole??

As far as extending visitor, I believe Chumley has done this recently and I know that she submitted evidence to support their application, Im not sure but I think each case can be its own merits although 6 mths tends to normally be the case providing the applicant has demonstrated their funds to support themselves etc for this period of time.

Hope this helps, almost just thinking out loud a bit to try and understand your situation, I hope everything works out for you

ND
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Nikki - honestly I'm just getting so confused. A phone call tomorrow may solve things. They are looking for information from 30 years ago and we are really struggling as people just don't hold information that long. We basically don't think we can get what immigration want. Which means we have to come off the community identified. Obviously we were prepared to duur it out till we got residency but that now looks a long way off.

So yes the LMO is for the job offer I told you about. But the employer is only doing the paperwork now - 4 weeks after the offer! We have had such a hard 5 months we are loosing heart. Our relationship has suffered so much it has been awful - I still maintain the Community Identified Stream should come with a health warning!!!! At least if we can extend our visitors visa for a good length of time it will ease the pressure. I have to apply tomorrow so will I just ask for 6 months or will I have to just see what they issue?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.