Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Proposed FSW Regulations - Canada Gazette

Proposed FSW Regulations - Canada Gazette

Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of
Default Re: Proposed FSW Regulations - Canada Gazette

Originally Posted by BTJ
Well they have mentioned keeping the cap that parliament has set for FSW visas in general in the Gazette. No idea what that cap exactly is though and it includes those with arranged employment.
Interesting. But then I wonder how they are proposing to split any cap between FSWC and FSTC?

And just because CIC can only issue X visas per year, that number as we have seen in the past does not necessarily correspond with the number of applications they will accept.

They have X backlog with Y number of visas they can issue in a year. Z number of applications will be rejected on average and therefore will not be issued a visa.

From this I guess they need to come up with a sensible application cap.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future

Looking at it more thoroughly, I'm less than optimistic now - if the points system stands as proposed.

Assuming I get 24 points for primary language and 0 for secondary then:

Work Experience: 15 points.
Education: 5 points (completed 1 year of study but didn't finish any due to accepting employment).
Arranged employment: 10 points.

So that gets me 59 points. Seems the lack of strong post-secondary counts against me despite over 25 years of work experience (and nearly 15 in the current job).

In the current points system, I put the same measurements in and got 58 points without arranged employment.

Phooey.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:18 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Whereas my partner and I with a single year of work experience at the grand old age of 22 get:

24 points for English
0 for French
12 for Age
9 for 1 Year of Work Experience at NOC Level B
21 for a Bachelor's Degree
5 for English ability of partner

Making a total of 71 points. They really are discounting foreign work experience and older people.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future

Certainly seems that's the way things are heading. If they continue to accept applications with fewer points but with a covering letter outlining why I think I would be a good candidate for adaptability - I do have things I can point to, but even so - it's still a bit depressing given the drastic cut in points I'd get.

Kinda offsets the cautious optimism I had from that (unconfirmed?) tweet that PMM referred to about the possible lack of a list next year (my occupation is in Skill Level A).
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:20 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

Originally Posted by Siphorous
Certainly seems that's the way things are heading. If they continue to accept applications with fewer points but with a covering letter outlining why I think I would be a good candidate for adaptability - I do have things I can point to, but even so - it's still a bit depressing given the drastic cut in points I'd get.

Kinda offsets the cautious optimism I had from that (unconfirmed?) tweet that PMM referred to about the possible lack of a list next year (my occupation is in Skill Level A).
I guess you would have to find arranged employment and then go the CEC route after a year of working on a TWP. Certainly not as safe a route as having a PR visa in hand, but doable.

Edit: Depending on how the educational equivalence organisations evaluate things I wonder if your 1 year of post-secondary will get you 15 points?

Last edited by BTJ; Aug 30th 2012 at 1:25 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BTJ
I guess you would have to find arranged employment and then go the CEC route after a year of working on a TWP. Certainly not as safe a route as having a PR visa in hand, but doable.

Edit: Depending on how the educational equivalence organisations evaluate things I wonder if your 1 year of post-secondary will get you 15 points?
I did a couple of G.C.S.Es but only took the exam for one due to a cock up on my part and the first year of an A-Level. I'm not sure if they'd still have records for me to be able to prove that (if it counted for the extra 10 points on a year of education).

My general plan prior to the (apparent!) lack of a list was to try that way - e.g. go over, stay with friends who'd put me up for nothing. Then, hunt around for employers willing to do the LMO via calls/in person checking, get a TWP and then try for PR via CEC.

Funds won't be an issue - after working for nearly 15 years and getting a very generous redundancy from the company I work for in a couple of months time.

Sometimes I rue the lack of a university education - but if I had gone down that route instead of what I did choose (employment) - I may never have gotten where I am now I guess.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:47 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

Originally Posted by Siphorous
I did a couple of G.C.S.Es but only took the exam for one due to a cock up on my part and the first year of an A-Level. I'm not sure if they'd still have records for me to be able to prove that (if it counted for the extra 10 points on a year of education).
In that case you might not get even 5 points for education since I'd imagine that completion of A-levels is the equivalent of a High School Diploma. Though I am not too sure since an A-level is closer to the first year of university in Canada than the final year of high school. Just have to wait and see! Not that it'll matter for the CEC route.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BTJ
In that case you might not get even 5 points for education since I'd imagine that completion of A-levels is the equivalent of a High School Diploma. Though I am not too sure since an A-level is closer to the first year of university in Canada than the final year of high school. Just have to wait and see! Not that it'll matter for the CEC route.
A fair point - I was thinking of post-secondary in U.K. terms rather than Canadian. Indeed though on the CEC route, even though I was hoping to avoid that way which now seems most unlikely.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nice

So the "CAP" lets guess its 10k again will be split across FSTC and FSW? As long as the CAP isnt set at a silly level, I think it just might work, after all MI2 and 3 seems to have gone through a heck of a lot faster than MI1!

Thinking on the proposed changes...
I still think that there will be a rush for CEC though, everyone who has held a TWP/IEC for a year in the last 5 years will qualify for PR (presuming they worked in 0 A or B NOCs)
I think it will be interesting to see what changes to the PNPs are in the pipeline, not to mention investor and parental sponsorship. It might take another 12 months, but maybe, just maybe they are getting somewhere with immigration.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Erug is an unknown quantity at this point

When illustrating your now reduced 12months work experience, what proof is required? Apart from a headed letter from the employer, are paystubs, T4s etc needed...I ask as I was employed as a consultant, but still had the 37.5 hours per week. But I had to deal with my own taxes.

Thanks
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

kamshaft is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Here is David Cohen take on the new proposed Federal Skilled Trades Class

Introduction of Federal Skilled Trades Class

In order to better facilitate the entry of skilled tradespersons to Canada, CIC has created the Federal Skilled Trades Class (FSTC) of immigration. This will be open to tradespersons with skills in the following areas:

Industrial, Electrical, and Construction Trades; Maintenance and Equipment Operation Trades; Supervisors and Technical Occupations in Natural Resources; Agriculture and Related Production’ Processing, Manufacturing and Utilities Supervisors and Central Control Operators’ Chefs and Cooks; Bakers and Butchers

All of these trades are considered “skilled”, and fall into the “B” level of work, as defined by Canada’s National Occupation Classification (NOC).

The FSTC is not a points-based immigration program. Rather, it operates on a pass/fail system.

Applicants to this new immigration program will have to meet the following 4 requirements:

Must receive either:
A qualifying offer of employment in Canada. Offers must be for at least 1 year in duration; OR
A Certificate of Qualification from a provincial or territorial authority.

Minimum language proficiency of at least Canadian Level Benchmark 5 (“initial intermediate”).
24 months of work experience in their skilled trade during the last 5 years.
Professional qualifications that prove their ability to perform their job.

It is important to note that only individuals who meet all of the above requirements are eligible to apply to this immigration class. However, a skilled tradesperson who does not fulfill the requirements of the FSTC may be eligible to apply to the FSWC or another Canadian immigration program.

Dose this require a LMO??
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 10:31 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by kamshaft
Dose this require a LMO??
Note

Must receive either:
A qualifying offer of employment in Canada. Offers must be for at least 1 year in duration; OR
A Certificate of Qualification from a provincial or territorial authority.

Means a LMO and work permit it would appear.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2012-08-24.asp

Hmm. In one place that article talks about "eliminating the old backlog", in another place it's only been reduced. Significantly, but still - not eliminated.

Which is it... I'm guessing reduced given they've supplied numbers.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Siouxie linked to a a CIC faq page in another thread which does suggest a list will be in place. Interesting, given that this was not really mentioned during previous communications.

Of course, I'm assuming that they are referring to THE list but I could be wrong and they might mean a revised NOC list rather than THE list.

Answer to the question "When will the revised FSWP be in place?" and the very last sentence.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...lled/index.asp

Originally Posted by cic
The full regulatory changes proposed to the Federal Skilled Worker selection criteria, the new Federal Skilled Trades class and the Canadian Experience class changes will be pre-published in the Canada Gazette in the coming months. Final publication is expected before the end of the year, with the new requirements taking effect in early 2013. The Department also expects to issue an updated occupation list at that time.

Last edited by Siphorous; Sep 27th 2012 at 1:01 pm. Reason: extra character