Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Proof of relationshiohip requirement change! Very important!

Proof of relationshiohip requirement change! Very important!

Old Apr 9th 2010, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough
Default Proof of relationshiohip requirement change! Very important!

Hi guys, I have noticed CIC changed the requirement for proof of relationship in Oct, 2009 by adding this additional requirement:

Provide evidence to show that your listed relative is currently residing in Canada. This may include copies of:
•lease agreements,
•a current Notice of Assessment from Revenue Canada,
•an employer's letter confirming employment,
•monthly bills etc.
Note: The evidence should show the relative's name and full address in Canada.

This was not in previous guidelines and I checked the old checklist I referred to when I applied last summer. All it requested was photocopies of PPR, Passport or Citizenship card:

PROOF OF RELATIONSHIP IN CANADA (IF APPLICABLE)
• Proof of relationship to your close relative in Canada, such as birth, marriage or
adoption certificates.
• If your close relative is a permanent resident of Canada: photocopy of his or
her Record of Landing (IMM 1000), Confirmation of Permanent Residence or
Permanent Resident Card.
• If your close relative is a Canadian citizen: proof of Canadian citizenship, such
as a photocopy of pages of a Canadian passport or Canadian citizenship card.

One applicant has just been rejected because she didn't submit this additional document: trackitt.com/canada-discussion-forums/federal-skilled-workers/514947149/decision-made-and-then-got-rejection-letter/page/last_page How can they reject a case when the old guidelines didn't require this additional document. And what should people do who didn't submit this additional document? Do they have to send it immediately while explaining the reason they didn't submit at the time of their application--there was no requirement like this. I think this is ridiculous!!!

Last edited by cityhog; Apr 9th 2010 at 3:21 am.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 10:52 am
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of relationshiohip requirement change! Very important!

Are you sure this only changed in Oct 09? As we knew way before we submitted our documents that we would have to prove our relative actually lived in Canada. Makes sense really as why should you get points for a relative that doesn't actually live there?
Old Apr 9th 2010, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice

What form is this on, I've just checked the Visa Office Specific Instructions (IMM 7023) for London (updated in March 10 for the Pakistan applicants) and it still states:

•Proof of relationship to your close relative in Canada, such as birth, marriage or adoption certificates.
•If your close relative is a permanent resident of Canada: photocopy of his or her Record of Landing (IMM 1000), Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Permanent Resident Card.
•If your close relative is a Canadian citizen: proof of Canadian citizenship, such as a photocopy of pages of a Canadian passport or Canadian citizenship card.
•Proof that your relative is currently living in Canada.

Can't see any of the additional requirements that you mention??
Old Apr 9th 2010, 6:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it ridiculous to want proof the the person sponsoring you is actually resident and living a full life in Canada?

Looks to me like they are just spelling out the requirements now rather than assuming that applicants would have proof on hand.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 6:45 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

As a former serving visa officer I can say that proving your relative was settled in Canada has always been a requirement. This is not some big change but as noted above, just a list of acceptable ways to demonstrate that the relative is indeed living in Canada.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi guys, thanks for your responses. If you look at the old version of FSW app packet--IMM 7048 E (01-2009)--which I and many others used in 09 doesn't say that you have to show a proof of your relative's current residence in Canada. It was added in the 10 2009 version, and so many people who applied on their own without assistance from immigration consultants might have missed this. And one applicant, Bristerdine, claims that her case was denied because she didn't submit her uncle's billing statements. What I'm think is ridiculous is not this new requirement but the fact that someone was rejected because she didn't submit her uncle's billing statements. It just doesn't make sense.

Last edited by cityhog; Apr 9th 2010 at 7:07 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stokesey
What form is this on, I've just checked the Visa Office Specific Instructions (IMM 7023) for London (updated in March 10 for the Pakistan applicants) and it still states:

•Proof of relationship to your close relative in Canada, such as birth, marriage or adoption certificates.
•If your close relative is a permanent resident of Canada: photocopy of his or her Record of Landing (IMM 1000), Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Permanent Resident Card.
•If your close relative is a Canadian citizen: proof of Canadian citizenship, such as a photocopy of pages of a Canadian passport or Canadian citizenship card.
•Proof that your relative is currently living in Canada.

Can't see any of the additional requirements that you mention??
I think other visa office checklists now include this new requirement, for example, Singapore and Buffalo.