Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Proof of funds, assests vs liabilities.

Proof of funds, assests vs liabilities.

Old Jun 24th 2013, 10:48 pm
ndx
Just Joined

ndx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proof of funds, assests vs liabilities.

Hi fellow expats,

maybe someone can enlighten me for a second. On Canadian immigration form, they ask 3 questions:

a) Assets
Indicate the total amount (in Canadian dollars) of fixed deposits, savings accounts, pensions, etc.

b) Liabilities
Indicate the total amount (in Canadian dollars) of real property mortgages and any other personal debts.

c) Total funds available for settlement in Canada
With consideration to your total assets and liabilities, indicate the total amount (in Canadian dollars) of unencumbered, transferable and available funds that you have for settlement in Canada.

I have a mortgage of around 150.000 USD and savings of around 70.000. I'm trying to figure out if they will substract the liabilities from assets or what? if that's the case I'm negative 80.000 already. But then I have equity of around 40.000 in the house which (IF) I can sell it i'll be positive 110.000.

I guess I'm trying to find out if the debt counts for proof of funds in a negative way.

Cheers.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 4:51 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of funds, assests vs liabilities.

It seems you are not counting your house properly. It is worth 190,000 and you savings are 70,000 so your total assets are 260,000. Your liabilities are solely the mortgage of 150,000. Thus your net worth at present is already 110,000. The house would have to be professionally appraised to establish it worth.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 10:47 am
ndx
Just Joined

ndx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
It seems you are not counting your house properly. It is worth 190,000 and you savings are 70,000 so your total assets are 260,000. Your liabilities are solely the mortgage of 150,000. Thus your net worth at present is already 110,000. The house would have to be professionally appraised to establish it worth.
so they do count your debt in regards to funds available then? I did try to look in CIC manuals on-line and did not find anywhere the exact regulation.
I would like just to show them my savings account and be done with it. If not i need to do a house appraisal, etc which takes time and money
When i filled initially the forms all it was asked was funds available to move to Canada, now I'm being asked for updated forms which asks for liabilities too?!
What if someone has student loans for 100.000 and 20.000 in savings? would this be not sufficient for example?
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Goldie6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I ask which immigration stream you were applying for? I'm applying for the FSW visa and this has completely confused me. Do I need to provide all this evidence for the FSW program?
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 9:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goldie6
Can I ask which immigration stream you were applying for? I'm applying for the FSW visa and this has completely confused me. Do I need to provide all this evidence for the FSW program?
The OP hasn't been on the forum for more than six months so is very unlikely to see your question.

But yes, you do need to provide evidence of your net worth for a FSW application to meet the minimum funds requirement.

I'll close this thread now as it's so old, if you have any other questions please start your own thread, thx.