Proof of Funds

Old Oct 22nd 2005, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

iphillip is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proof of Funds

Hi All

We are planning to fly to Toronto on the 21st of November 05.
Before we book our flights, we were wondering if we could take a letter from our lawyer stating that x amount of funds will be paid into our account on the 2nd of December 05. We will have enough funds in the bank to cover us until the funds come through. Will this be exceptable for immigration in Toronto. Plan to call CIC London next week to confirm if this is ok.

It would save a lot of hassle and money not having to move into a hotel in the uk for 10 days. We have family in Canada that we are going to stay with until the funds come through.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 7:56 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all
Default Re: Proof of Funds

Originally Posted by iphillip
Hi All

Before we book our flights, we were wondering if we could take a letter from our lawyer stating that x amount of funds will be paid into our account on the 2nd of December 05. We will have enough funds in the bank to cover us until the funds come through. Will this be exceptable for immigration in Toronto. Plan to call CIC London next week to confirm if this is ok.

It would save a lot of hassle and money not having to move into a hotel in the uk for 10 days. We have family in Canada that we are going to stay with until the funds come through.
In my case they accepted a statement fom my swiss bank, without even asking when the funds would be moved to Canada. But that may have been an exception, what do the experts say?
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 10:52 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Any kind of promises or promisory notes will not be accepted. Bring your bank statement from UK instead.

Hi All

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Oct 23rd 2005 at 12:35 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

ben1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

One month old bank statement denominated in USD and Sterling worked fine for me......
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 6:55 am
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

Do you only need proof of money when you arrive in country or when applying for your visa? i will be moving to canada in about a 18mths and am just getting ready to apply for my visa but our cash is tied up in our house at the moment
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Depends what category you apply under (i.e. proof of funds for business category is part of the requirements initially and so needs to be in your application, this is not the case for SW)

As I understand even if you haven't sold your house if you show a valuation of your house from a reputable source against the mortgage you owe this is OK at the border (you had better check this though with one of the lawyers).

For SW all you need to do is show proof of funds at the border as I understand, when you land.
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 3:38 pm

Wrong!

Only few visa posts (London, Sudney for example) accept documented equity in home as proof of funds and only at the time of application. No such thing will be accepted when landing.

Originally Posted by ben1970
Depends what category you apply under (i.e. proof of funds for business category is part of the requirements initially and so needs to be in your application, this is not the case for SW)

As I understand even if you haven't sold your house if you show a valuation of your house from a reputable source against the mortgage you owe this is OK at the border (you had better check this though with one of the lawyers).

For SW all you need to do is show proof of funds at the border as I understand, when you land.
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Wrong!

Only few visa posts (London, Sudney for example) accept documented equity in home as proof of funds and only at the time of application. No such thing will be accepted when landing.
LOL, that's why you are an immigration consultant and I am not.....
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 4:30 pm
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Wrong!

Hi Andrew

i will be going over on a family visa(my wife is canadian) when we land at toronto we will have proof of funds as the house will be sold by then, but it is more at initial application stage that i am concerned i will not have the proof as i will not sell the house until i have my visa. do you know how this will work?

thanks steve
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

iphillip is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your comments.

But it says on the CIC website, You will need to provide proof of your funds when you submit your application for immigration.

All it says on our forms is that we must satisfy the immigration officer at the port of entry that we have the sufficent funds to support our family.

We will have enough funds to support us for a week until the money from the sale of our house will be in the bank.

So a letter from our lawyer will not be good enough ?

Regards

Ian
Old Oct 24th 2005, 12:41 am

If you are being sponsored family class member then you don't need any funds.

Originally Posted by steved61
Hi Andrew

i will be going over on a family visa(my wife is canadian) when we land at toronto we will have proof of funds as the house will be sold by then, but it is more at initial application stage that i am concerned i will not have the proof as i will not sell the house until i have my visa. do you know how this will work?

thanks steve
Old Oct 24th 2005, 12:42 am

No, it won't be accepted, period.

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your comments.

But it says on the CIC website, You will need to provide proof of your funds when you submit your application for immigration.

All it says on our forms is that we must satisfy the immigration officer at the port of entry that we have the sufficent funds to support our family.

We will have enough funds to support us for a week until the money from the sale of our house will be in the bank.

So a letter from our lawyer will not be good enough ?

Regards

Ian