Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Problem and tricky situation: landing with problematic passport

Problem and tricky situation: landing with problematic passport

Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

didik will become famous soon enough
Default Problem and tricky situation: landing with problematic passport

Hi
I applied for my Canadian PR Visa when I was a citizen of ABC country.
The PR visa is fixed in this ABC country passport which is going to expire (and not valid) one day after landing, after 14 April 2011.

I have recently obtain my Australian citizenship and passport. The ABC country does not recognise dual nationalities, so the passport is in fact no longer valid now, and I will have to return the passport (which have my Canadian PR in it).

MY QUESTION:
1) For the purpose of landing, can i still using my 'invalid' passport from ABC country?
2) Can i ask the immigration officer during my LANDING to TRANSFER the visa label to my Australian passport and STAMP the entry stamp on my Australian passport? This is important since i will need to return the invalid passport.

Thanks.
ddk
Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

JonEthan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Problem and tricky situation: landing with problematic passport

I thought you cannot use a passport expiring within the next 6 months. So, technically, your passport is no longer valid since 15 Oct 2010. You cannot use it to land.

i don't have an answer though, with regards to re-stamping it to your other passport.

Curious though, why apply canadian PR and Austrailia Citizenship at the same time?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:24 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

For permanent residents the 6 month rule does not apply. The passport has to be valid on the day of landing though.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:03 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

but is the passport still valid if he's no longer a citizen of that country ?