Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Problem with medical, sputum check and repeat X-ray

Wikiposts

Problem with medical, sputum check and repeat X-ray

Old Apr 18th 2009, 1:06 am
Just Joined

Dodo7699 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Problem with medical, sputum check and repeat X-ray

Hi all

I was going through my immigration process when I suddenly had this misfortune, I have to repeat my chest x-ray after 3 months and to do a sputum culture for TB. They say that they found some suspicious patch in my lung X-ray. However, I am a nurse and I showed my chest X-rays to doctors in the hospital who ascertained that everything is OK and these are normal findings especially if you have history of smoking (which I have).

My question is what is next? I know from reading in this forum and elsewhere that after you get negative sputum culture, you will be given the visa but you will be labeled as inactive TB and will be placed under medical surveillance in Canada. Would this affect my future job in Canada as I am a health worker (a nurse) and most of my work is with kids?

The second question, what if the things went terrible and I had positive sputum culture, would I be completely denied the visa or would be allowed to take anti-TB and undergo another sputum culture?

Last edited by Dodo7699; Apr 18th 2009 at 3:06 am.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 3:13 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Problem with medical, sputum check and repeat X-ray

Originally Posted by Dodo7699
Hi all

I was going through my immigration process when I suddenly had this misfortune, I have to repeat my chest x-ray after 3 months and to do a sputum culture for TB. They say that they found some suspicious patch in my lung X-ray. However, I am a nurse and I showed my chest X-rays to doctors in the hospital who ascertained that everything is OK and these are normal findings especially if you have history of smoking (which I have).

My question is what is next? I know from reading in this forum and elsewhere that after you get negative sputum culture, you will be given the visa but you will be labeled as inactive TB and will be placed under medical surveillance in Canada. Would this affect my future job in Canada as I am a health worker (a nurse) and most of my work is with kids?

The second question, what if the things went terrible and I had positive sputum culture, would I be completely denied the visa or would be allowed to take anti-TB and undergo another sputum culture?
I will appreciate if anyone have experience with similar situation (esp. if health worker who was put under medical surveillance) or anyone who know more about this ,, I am really depressed about it.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

hi, someone on here had a very simular situation to yourself, i want to say it was chumley but im not sure...why dont you do a forum search about medicals..as you arent the only one that has had problems with xray's etc
Old Apr 18th 2009, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

yes it was me same prob with husband there are a few others just lately awswell

first thing are you a brit??

second thing get a repeat x ray and second opinion asap and get this off to your dmp

no you wont be denied so dont worry

do a search loads in the same boat
you are not alone although its agony agreed!

was your med in canada?
Old Apr 18th 2009, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Trophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Dodo

I have had the same experience as you. I also had a second x-ray taken at work (I am also a Nurse) and that has shown to be perfectly normal.

I can't answer your questions but would like to offer you my support as I know this is a testing time. But I am sure that someone on here will have the info needed.

I must admit I have not heard about being labelled as 'inactive TB' etc.

I was also very down and shocked with all of the sputum and repeat x-ray. I consider my self to be very healthy. I should have the results of my sputum tests early next week and the repeat x-ray on 12th May.

Try to keep positive. I know it is easier said than done.

Best wishes
Mandy & Kev
Old Apr 18th 2009, 5:33 am
Just Joined

thank you clairemarie70, chumley & Trophy for your sympathy

and I wish we will hear soon that both of you (chumley and Trophy) got the second examination results and that every thing is OK.

I did the medical examination in UAE, and everything went smooth until I received this annoying letter.

anyway all we have to do is to wait,,, please chumley and Trophy when you get to know anything please tell me,, I am really desperate to know anything about this.

and if anyone else had similar experience and already passed it,, please let's know about it and how it ended.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Trophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
as we get updates I will post on the forum.

Chumley, I expect your time scale for these med repeats is similar to mine. best of luck
Mandy & Kev
Old Apr 18th 2009, 8:37 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me they are unlikely to consider a second opinion on this. Just follow the instructs as they are or face even further delay.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Believe me they are unlikely to consider a second opinion on this. Just follow the instructs as they are or face even further delay.
Thank you Jim for your reply

The second opinion is only for my personal relief ,, anyway I will have to follow the instructions ,, but I think it is just unfair to label someone as having a disease when he is completely free from any symptoms or signs and with no history of any serious medical illness and in perfect health,, just because you see couple of patches in his X-ray ,, which I know that they can result from a dozen of other causes not related to TB

But at the end of the day, we have to comply with CIC instructions.

Please if anyone had similar experience ,, share with us ,, your support at this time will really mean a lot to me and everbody who is now passing through this suffering

thank you all for your replys
Old Apr 18th 2009, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

dodo a second opinion and sending this off to your DMp cannot possibly delay things for you

at the end of the day we all know only CIC can decide but its your body and your x ray and your delay and stress so getting more x rays and another report can do no harm

As you are a nurse Im sure you know that a squillioin things can cause dots on x rays

pluresy, pnuemonia, chest infections numerous causes even sleeping on cold ground apparently its relatively common for those who have served in the Army for example

it could even be a dodgy radiographer hence getting another x ray done

Have you talked to your DMP since your med?

Once again you are not alone several of us going through it at the moment

In the unlikey even that you are asked to be monitored in canada all you have to do is register on arrival then I think they check you out annualy

all TB treatment and monitoring is free in Canada

another avenue to give you more info is to send for your CAIPS notes it will give details of med results plus if any monitoring is required

be assured if you are already in canada and you then get TB you do not get deported or anything

nobody gets denied a visa if they have active or inactive TB but it does cause delays of course

good luck to all going through this its awful
Old Apr 18th 2009, 10:48 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dodo7699
Hi all

They deal with TB differently in Canada, have a google to find out more, then you will see the process behind this.

Also, was the x-ray image you showed to the doctors the same one that the immigration doctor viewed? I thought that the x-ray dept sent that off and you didn't get a copy of it. Though if it were on PACS then the images would still be there to be viewed. Anyroad, it needs to be the same image for your hospital doctors to comment on these "patches". Also, were those doctors radiologists? What did the radiologist's report say?

To work in a hospital here in Ontario you would have to have a Mantoux test, which would probably come up positive if you have had BCGs and Heaf tests in the past. Mine did, so I would have to have chest x-rays instead.

It's annoying but there's nothing you can do about it apart from follow instructions.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

A_and_K has a brilliant futureA_and_K has a brilliant futureA_and_K has a brilliant futureA_and_K has a brilliant futureA_and_K has a brilliant futureA_and_K has a brilliant future
Question Re: Problem with medical, sputum check and repeat X-ray

Hi everybody,
I had my medicals last week. I'm worrying especially about x ray result . If something was wrong who will let me know (and when) ????
Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:19 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is that the spots could be TB. They probably are not but they could be. My father-in-law had the same problem at age 80 - spots eventually determined to be non-TB and not of public health interest. Nevertheless he was made to attend at the local chest clinic annually for several years until one of the physicians finally let him off.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi A_ & _K

If there is a problem with your meds you will recieve a letter informing you what to do next.
Personal experience- My letter was sent to me but it was addressed
Dear Dr....., in order for this application to proceed we need.........
. Please send sputum results, x-ray and report to CHC.

I then contacted the DMP and I arranged the necessary apppointments etc.

It is worrying when you read of others having these 'blips' (as I like to call it).
As Jim has said we just follow the prescriptive instructions from CHC. I think that also to have a second opinion, even if it is not accepted by CHC then it is peace of mind for yourself (it certainly was for me).

I hope that all will be good for you ( an all others awaiting repeat results etc) and you can progress with no little blips on the horizon.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

I called my DMP and he told me that this practice by the CIC is not surprising him, and he checked the X-ray (with the radiologist) and they believe that they are normal.

He also said that CIC is overprotective and he told me not to worry and he said we have to comply with CIC rules because at the end of the day , he is working for them.

However. I will have to wait for my sputum results,,, this is the only thing that will prove for CIC that I don't have active TB.

but still my question, if my sputum results came negative but they put me under medical surveillance after I arrive to Canada, would this have an effect on working in a hospital as a nurse (a pediatric nurse) ?

Please fledermaus or anyone who knows anything about this situation, share with us here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.