probationary period and fsw/Pnp

Old May 29th 2009, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

cathcrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default probationary period and fsw/Pnp

Hi I wonder if someone can help me. I have been offered a job in education. The job was originally intended to start this August but due to unforseen budget cuts they now would like me to start next August instead.

From my point of view I don't mind waiting a year but would like to make the wait constructive by applying for PR to avoid the wait once I'm over there either through PNP or FSW with AEO.

However my employer doesn't seem keen to go down that route as there is a probationary period of a year before making the contract permanent - this seems to be standard procedure.

Is there any way that I could still be eligible to apply for PR despite the probabtionary period. I think it's the probationary period that is the obstacle for the employer. It just seems such a waste of a year.

As ever, any advice much appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 31st 2009, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: probationary period and fsw/Pnp

Anyone?
Old May 31st 2009, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future

Hi

Not sure what your occupation is - you said in education but not sure what. Is your occupation on the list? If so, you could apply for PR now as long as have at least 1 year of experience and the points. Have a look at the wikis on this site and here's the link to the eligible occupation list:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tions.asp#list

Not sure about PNP so can't give any info there.

Hope this helps

Lucy
Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

A probationary period of a year? Wow! Bit scary that there are some places that do that.

However, you're SOL unless the employer wants to help you. For either the AEO or PNP routes (at least for BC PNP) you need the employer to do some paperwork for you. If they're not willing to then...
Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:18 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ESarge
A probationary period of a year? Wow! Bit scary that there are some places that do that.

However, you're SOL unless the employer wants to help you. For either the AEO or PNP routes (at least for BC PNP) you need the employer to do some paperwork for you. If they're not willing to then...

In most provinces you can be sacked at anytime without cause, probationary period, or 20 years in, provided that the correct notice time is given.

There is very little employment protection in Canada.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

The job is as a co-ordinator for the school board for an area of the curriculum - so I think technically it counts as administration. I don't think it's so much the paperwork that is making the employer reluctant - more than it is policy to have a probationary period and FSW and PNP seem to require a permanent job offer. Can you have a permanent job offer with a probationary period built in or is that a contradiction in terms?