Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Pregnant by Canadian - what happens now ???

Wikiposts

Pregnant by Canadian - what happens now ???

Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Pregnant by Canadian - what happens now ???

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I don't know how old your sister is, but assuming born before 1990, there was no jus soli at that time in Germany so if neither parent was German, she could not have been German by just being born in Germany.
My parents were serving in the British Army in what was at the time West Berlin, and those were the facts.

Chris
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cneldred
My parents were serving in the British Army in what was at the time West Berlin, and those were the facts.

Chris
In Germany it's usually the other way around, you can be born there to people who were born there and still not be German.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

As to the question about whether you'd be eligible for benefits/support - I don't know, but I would imagine NOT. You aren't a permanent resident, so you do not qualify for government assistance - this may be down to the province though.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
If the OP overstays her visa, and has the child in Canada - and the father knows - and is named - could he not then turn around and apply to keep the child in the country, regardless of the OP's wishes, (either now or later) ? Courts have funny outcomes sometimes.

Perhaps staying in Canada - with a new baby - with potentially curtailed opportunities for working to support herself, and contrary to her current visa, and potentially no other support network (although we do not know this for sure) would be more than just exhausting and bloody hard work.
Originally Posted by dingbat
This agency requires a court order, which requires a hearing, which will require him to be named as the father, which activates his parental rights, which triggers the end of her ability to make any decisions on her own.....I am sure you get the picture.
This is what I am saying .... this would be my fears, and uppermost in my mind ....
Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cneldred

Chris
No, it's absolutely not true.

Being born to foreign parents in Germany before 2000 does not make you a German citizen, and even from the year 2000 (for children born on or after 1.1.2000) it's quite restricted in scope.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confusedincanada
No we do not live together and have only know each other for a few months, I have not seen or heard from him though for the last 3-4 weeks ... so I dont think that is going to be an option for me anymore..... he doesnt even know that I am pregnant...
You won't get much meaningful advice unless you clarify whether or not you are OK with the idea of the child (and by extension, you) being trapped in Canada until child is 18.

If you have any kind of support network in the U.K. I would suggest you consider having baby there. Based on all the stories on this forum about the Canadian family courts you would likely have more options in the United Kingdom. If you can manage to get the child Canadian citizenship by descent that's great but it's something that would probably only be useful to the child as an adult.