Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Pregnant by Canadian - what happens now ???

Wikiposts

Pregnant by Canadian - what happens now ???

Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant by Canadian - what happens now ???

Assuming the OP is fairly newly pregnant (states just found out), and leaves Canada at the end of the working holiday visa (in three months), the baby is unlikely to be born in Canada.
Presumably if born outside Canada (e.g. in UK) the child would have to apply in its own right for citizenship by descent? But could only do this if the father's name was on the birth certificate?

On a slightly separate note, when you put the father's name on the birth certificate, do they contact him to see if it's ok? Am just thinking that otherwise it would be very easy to make it up! (Not that I'm suggesting for a moment that the OP or anyone else on here would do that, it just seems like something that they ought to check! And if they couldn't get hold of the father, what would happen then?)
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Presumably if born outside Canada (e.g. in UK) the child would have to apply in its own right for citizenship by descent? But could only do this if the father's name was on the birth certificate?
Child would be Canadian automatically (under current law) provided the relationship with the father could be evidenced.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry - I cannot help with the immigration question as requested.

My ramblings are as follows : I think the option of telling the father is extremely relevant and/or naming the father on the birth certificate (in either country) - for the future of the OP and the child in so many ways, but pertinantly to future citizenship rights ...

If the OP overstays her visa, and has the child in Canada - and the father knows - and is named - could he not then turn around and apply to keep the child in the country, regardless of the OP's wishes, (either now or later) ? Courts have funny outcomes sometimes.

Perhaps staying in Canada - with a new baby - with potentially curtailed opportunities for working to support herself, and contrary to her current visa, and potentially no other support network (although we do not know this for sure) would be more than just exhausting and bloody hard work.

I appreciate that the father is currently awol - do you know him well enough to attempt to judge his reaction? I'm not saying he has no right to know. But, personally, I think going back to the UK, having the child there - with a support network (hopefully) will be darn sight easier on the welfare of mum !! Citizenship and immigration comes second ...

Very best wishes to you, whatever.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza

On a slightly separate note, when you put the father's name on the birth certificate, do they contact him to see if it's ok?
Afaik, in the UK (Scotland at least, where I registered our son's birth) if the parents are unmarried, the father has to be present at registration if you want his name on the certificate.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Afaik, in the UK (Scotland at least, where I registered our son's birth) if the parents are unmarried, the father has to be present at registration if you want his name on the certificate.
It's the same in England, the only way you can put a fathers name on the birth certificate without him being there in person as well is if you are married and take your wedding certificate to prove it. If unmarried, he has to be present.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:02 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Once your permit runs out and is not extended you must leave Canada, sorry.
To stay in Canada, a logical first step would be an application to extend the work permit (by 2-3 years to cover time for PR application). Considering there is a possibility of custody/maintenance hearings on Canadian soil, it should be a strong application providing the OP can prove funds to support herself.

As emphasised elsewhere in the thread, if the child is born in Canada, returning to the UK with the child may not be straightforward. Hopefully there's enough time to fully consider this before the child is born.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Reghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to all

The OP is in Canada on a Work Permit. hope she can extend her work permit and apply for PR alongside. As she already has a job and is on WP, i think she does not need to show proof of funds.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

I think a lot of countries operate in that manner, my sister was born in Berlin and my parents had i think it was 48 hours to register as British or she would have been a German citizen.

I can't give advice, but i really hope everything works out for you.

Chris
Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Reghuraj
The OP is in Canada on a Work Permit. hope she can extend her work permit and apply for PR alongside. As she already has a job and is on WP, i think she does not need to show proof of funds.
Working holiday visas are usually hard to get an extension for.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:58 am
Just Joined

confusedincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Reghuraj
One thing I do know for sure is that my current work permit is non extendable.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 4:15 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confusedincanada
It seems to me that you have three options:
1. throw yourself on the mercy of CIC - explain your situation to them re working holiday permit, imminent expiry thereof, desire to stay in Canada, pregnancy, relationship (if any) with the father. Let them advise you on the available options, but I suspect there may not be very many

2. throw yourself on the mercy of the father-to-be. You need to (a) decide whether you want to tell him and (b) consider what his response might be. From your previous posts, it doesn't sound as though you'd have much of a case for a common-law sponsorship, even if he were willing to commit to supporting you for however many years it is. As others have pointed out, though, even if he can't help you to stay in Canada right now, his commitment (and possibly his presence) would be required in the UK to register him as the father thus ensuring the child's citizenship status.

3. forget the father (for now), forget Canada (for now), return to the UK, register the birth without naming the father, get on with life in the UK and/or apply through the normal channels for Canadian residence.

There is, of course, a fourth option, but I'm not even going to go there. The very fact you're talking in terms of the future citizenship of the baby indicates you've already dismissed that one.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations anyway besides all your problems

I think you need prof help, is there the equivalent of citizens advice over there
also an immigration expert like Andrew Miller could probably help with advice.

Its up to you weather you tell the father or not, again i would ask for advice especially with the birth certificate, also is there CSA over there i think you will need help financially from what you have said, have you worked out if you did manage to stay will you be able to support your child ?

Do you have anyone that can give you emotional support at the moment ?

wish you all the best
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cneldred
I think a lot of countries operate in that manner, my sister was born in Berlin and my parents had i think it was 48 hours to register as British or she would have been a German citizen.

I can't give advice, but i really hope everything works out for you.

Chris
I don't know how old your sister is, but assuming born before 1990, there was no jus soli at that time in Germany so if neither parent was German, she could not have been German by just being born in Germany.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:37 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

You can still apply to extend your stay in Canada -either as visitor status or worker status (if successful a new work permit would be issued, as opposed to an "extension").

Again, funds to support yourself and strong reason to stay (e.g. possible court hearings) will likely be the main points considered in the application.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:43 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
congratulations anyway besides all your problems

I think you need prof help, is there the equivalent of citizens advice over there
also an immigration expert like Andrew Miller could probably help with advice.

Its up to you weather you tell the father or not, again i would ask for advice especially with the birth certificate, also is there CSA over there i think you will need help financially from what you have said, have you worked out if you did manage to stay will you be able to support your child ?
Do you have anyone that can give you emotional support at the moment ?

wish you all the best
This agency requires a court order, which requires a hearing, which will require him to be named as the father, which activates his parental rights, which triggers the end of her ability to make any decisions on her own.....I am sure you get the picture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.