Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Pregnant by Canadian - what happens now ???

Wikiposts

Pregnant by Canadian - what happens now ???

Old Jan 14th 2008, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

confusedincanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pregnant by Canadian - what happens now ???

Hi I really need some advice please. I came over to Canada in April 2007 on a working one year holiday, my work permit expires in April 2008 but I have just found out that I am pregnant, the man I am pregnant by is Canadian however we are not an item and he doest not yet know that I am pregnant. What happens from here, I am in Ontario and would like to stay in Canada to bring up my child but I do now know where I stand with regards to the immigration side of things..... will they give me another work permit so I can continue working, I work in a clothing store so I know I don't come under the skilled workers category... will I be elligible for any benefits or support from the government etc...any help and advice greatly appreciated as I just do not know what to do....
Old Jan 14th 2008, 12:50 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pregnant by Canadian - what happens now ???

I'm sorry but having a baby born in Canada (even if father is a Canadian) doesn't bring any immigration benefits to the mother. Baby will be a Canadian citizen though and can sponsor you after becoming an adult, providing that s/he will be at such time living permanently in Canada. Once your permit runs out and is not extended you must leave Canada, sorry.

You may of course try to find out if you can be eligible and qualify to apply for PR visa under one of many available immigration programs.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Could you tell the guy and see if he would work something out with you? I've no idea how feasible it would be but possibly he could sponsor you, or you could begin gathering evidence of a relationship?
Old Jan 14th 2008, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

ojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really nice

Are you in a relationship with this guy? Do you live together?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but these two things are the only possible way he could 'help' you be able to stay in Canada.

If neither of these things are true, it's a really unfortunate situation you find yourself in, but you would have to find out if there are opportunities available to you through existing Permanent Resident possibilities.

Good luck.

Last edited by ojmurphy; Jan 14th 2008 at 1:05 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

No we do not live together and have only know each other for a few months, I have not seen or heard from him though for the last 3-4 weeks ... so I dont think that is going to be an option for me anymore..... he doesnt even know that I am pregnant...
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
I'm sorry but having a baby born in Canada (even if father is a Canadian) doesn't bring any immigration benefits to the mother. Baby will be a Canadian citizen though and can sponsor you after becoming an adult, providing that s/he will be at such time living permanently in Canada. Once your permit runs out and is not extended you must leave Canada, sorry.

You may of course try to find out if you can be eligible and qualify to apply for PR visa under one of many available immigration programs.
Or if the Minister should decide to grant residence on compassionate grounds considering the circumstances (Canadian citizen child etc).
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confusedincanada
No we do not live together and have only know each other for a few months, I have not seen or heard from him though for the last 3-4 weeks ... so I dont think that is going to be an option for me anymore..... he doesnt even know that I am pregnant...
It seems as if the only way you might be able to stay in Canada is if you tell him and he helps you.
Otherwise you are on your own (obviously) and will have to leave when your one year visa expires. Canada does have a reputation as being pretty hard to get in to - I've not tried it myself but apparently it can take years.
Regardless of the visa issues, wouldn't it be worth letting this guy know that he has a baby? You can't predict his response, and if you don't do it wouldn't you constantly be wondering whether you should? Might be best to bite the bullet and get it out of the way.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:26 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

The real question is, do you want to tell him? If the "relationship" has already ended, is this going to be in your best interests at this point?
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

This isnt an issue of me telling him about the baby, I have not been able to get hold of him for over 3 weeks now, he seems to have gone awoll ! I want this to stay on topic about the immigration side of things if you dont mind, I really need all the advice I can get on that front... thanks.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

princesshumla is an unknown quantity at this point

This isnt an issue of me telling him about the baby, I have not been able to get hold of him for over 3 weeks now, he seems to have gone awoll ! I want this to stay on topic about the immigration side of things if you dont mind, I really need all the advice I can get on that front... thanks.
I would go back to your home country before your visa expires, and start making plans from there, otherwise you may jeopardise future entries if you overstay your visa. As Andrew said, the baby will be a Canadian citizen, and so you will may be able to get immigration advice back home instead regarding the situation. Best of luck!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:52 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

It seems you have had a number of opinions. Now might be a good time to see an immigration consultant or visit CIC and ask them what you need to do.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

This isnt an issue of me telling him about the baby, I have not been able to get hold of him for over 3 weeks now, he seems to have gone awoll !
Do you want to stay in Canada or would you prefer to raise your child at home?

If you want to stay you might have a difficult pathway to a visa (but maybe possible as child will be Canadian at birth), but more pertinently, if the father of the child has parental rights under Canadian law he may be able to insist that you stay (or at least that the child stays) whether you like it or not.

On the other hand, if you go back to the UK to have child you can't be forced to leave, but if the father is not named on the birth certificate then child won't be Canadian.

Do you have any people in Canada that you can talk your options through with?
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:38 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Evidently you missed the point, the question was directly related to your immigration prospects and your own future.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Does a baby born in a country to a foreign citizen who is merely visiting that country really qualify for citizenship of the country it's mother is visiting? Assuming the visit stays a visit?
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Does a baby born in a country to a foreign citizen who is merely visiting that country really qualify for citizenship of the country it's mother is visiting?
Any child born in Canada is a Canadian citizen, unless the parents are diplomats or on some other official status.

In most other countries, being born in that country is not enough in itself to become a citizen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.