Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR Spousal Sponsorship...work permit options while waiting

PR Spousal Sponsorship...work permit options while waiting

Old Apr 12th 2012, 12:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Spousal Sponsorship...work permit options while waiting

My understanding is that yes, you can apply as common-law if it is an 'enforced' separation, and brief - but I can't see yours has been, as you could have moved to Canada at any time? An enforced separation is usually for people who cannot go to each other's countries, or where one person has been in prison, etc, etc. Plus yours has now been approx 7 months, which is quite a long period.

As you could have moved easily (either on a visitor visa or on a WHV), and your gf could have sponsored you at any time in the 3 years prior to her leaving the UK, I really can't see how that would apply to you tbh.

Edit: have just looked it up in the Operating Manual, which states:

"While cohabitation means living together continuously, from time to time, one or the other partner may have left the home for work or business travel, family obligations, and so on. The separation must be temporary and short."

It could be worth a try, but personally I'd say you're better off getting over there on a WHV asap, and then trying to apply so that you can show you are currently living together when you do apply.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 12th 2012 at 12:21 am.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

Pondy18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
I am in a similar position to AdminPhobe and was wondering if you could help. I am British, but have been with my Canadian girlfriend for approaching 3 years now. We have lived together in the UK for a year and a half, however, the time has now come to head over to Canada, due to the fact that she needs to finish off her degree at university. I currently work in commercial insurance and have managed to get myself a job lined up with my current employer out in Vancouver. However, the problem I have is that they are not willing to sponsor me for my visa, as it is apparently against their protocol. My provisional start date was going to be at the start of November, therefore I am in a bit of a tricky predicament. I was therefore wondering what sort of options I have at this stage? I understand that the allocated quota of working holiday visas have now been used up for the year, therefore are there any other routes i can go down? is there such a thing as a de facto work visa? The only other option that i could think of was applying for my PR through my girlfriend and hoping my company will wait for me to arrive. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Adminphobe is an unknown quantity at this point

hi mate......by way of an update I am relocating to Vancouver in 5 weeks!

In the end I decided to go down the IEC temporary visa route for a year as ultimately I need to get a feel for the country anyway before committing. If all goes well (and the legislation does not change) I shall apply for another 1 year visa next year and at the same time apply for common in law under an outbound applicaiton.

I know it will be frustrating to have to wait another 6 months to be with your girlfriend (It will be 12 months for me when I finally get out there....I hope her new boyfriend is cool with me moving in.....!!) but in theory you could get a 6 month tourist visa depending on how nice you smile at the customs officer.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pondy18
Hi there,
I am in a similar position to AdminPhobe and was wondering if you could help. I am British, but have been with my Canadian girlfriend for approaching 3 years now. We have lived together in the UK for a year and a half, however, the time has now come to head over to Canada, due to the fact that she needs to finish off her degree at university. I currently work in commercial insurance and have managed to get myself a job lined up with my current employer out in Vancouver. However, the problem I have is that they are not willing to sponsor me for my visa, as it is apparently against their protocol. My provisional start date was going to be at the start of November, therefore I am in a bit of a tricky predicament. I was therefore wondering what sort of options I have at this stage? I understand that the allocated quota of working holiday visas have now been used up for the year, therefore are there any other routes i can go down? is there such a thing as a de facto work visa? The only other option that i could think of was applying for my PR through my girlfriend and hoping my company will wait for me to arrive. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Welcome to BE. Someone should be able to help you with advice here.

As for your employer i'd be having a word to understand what their issues are with an inter-company transfer. This is an easy route to follow and i suspect they are unclear as to the requirements and/or processes to get you there. If they had already lined you up to start at a different office in a different country this implies they value you - which is what you describe above - so i do not understand why they would not be aware of the visa requirements in the first place. Unless you didn't do your research. They may wish to go with an Immigration Lawyer and don't want the expense. Either way find out their real issues and arm yourself with the correct CIC data....it may be a lack of information on how to handle the bureaucracy.

As for your other half she can sponsor you as Common-Law if you can prove you've been living together for more than a year. You would want to head to Canada and live with her asap as per your UK status - then immediately apply to CPC-M (Mississauga) for PR via the LONDON office for outland applications.

Then ditch your employer