PR route from a SOWP?

Old Dec 21st 2008, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light
Default PR route from a SOWP?

We came over on a TWP for my husband, who unfortunately has lost his job. I had what looked like a successful interview on Friday (subject to taking up references, which I know will be fine). At present I have 11 mths of a SOWP left, and we would like to stay here for longer than that (probably a lot longer - my son, who is 9 said he didn't want to move again until he goes to university)

It is possible that I am eligible for "the list" (although this job is not) but it might be a bit of a stretch, so I am wondering if I can ask my prospective employer to sponsor me for PR, probably via PNP, just to get a little bit of security a little quicker (alternative is PR via London). If I did would I have to ask them to get an LMO first (probably not an issue as the job is in one of the BC OUP categories, and they are a provincial organization)? I am assuming they can do this after employing me because of the open work permit.

It is a permanent post, they have struggled to fill it (this is the second time they have advertised), and they are supposed to be a very good employer, but I don't want to ask for anything unreasonable, especially given our previous experiences.

Advice on the best way to tackle this (and when to ask) would be much appreciated
Old Dec 21st 2008, 5:19 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR route from a SOWP?

Hi

Originally Posted by nooka
We came over on a TWP for my husband, who unfortunately has lost his job. I had what looked like a successful interview on Friday (subject to taking up references, which I know will be fine). At present I have 11 mths of a SOWP left, and we would like to stay here for longer than that (probably a lot longer - my son, who is 9 said he didn't want to move again until he goes to university)

It is possible that I am eligible for "the list" (although this job is not) but it might be a bit of a stretch, so I am wondering if I can ask my prospective employer to sponsor me for PR, probably via PNP, just to get a little bit of security a little quicker (alternative is PR via London). If I did would I have to ask them to get an LMO first (probably not an issue as the job is in one of the BC OUP categories, and they are a provincial organization)? I am assuming they can do this after employing me because of the open work permit.

It is a permanent post, they have struggled to fill it (this is the second time they have advertised), and they are supposed to be a very good employer, but I don't want to ask for anything unreasonable, especially given our previous experiences.

Advice on the best way to tackle this (and when to ask) would be much appreciated
1. You know that your SOWP is no longer valid as your spouse's is unemployed?
2. Your employer could get an LMO and you an approved work permit.
3. Your employer could then apply for a PNP certificate from BC.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

According to the Wiki (Work Permit Complications-Canada), and from checks we made before we came over, my permit is valid for the period it has been issued.

Wiki: If your spouse or common-law partner received a spousal open work permit (SOWP) on the basis of your TWP, his/her SOWP remains valid for the original term of your TWP.

When we were in the States my EAD was totally dependent on my husband's permit, so it was something we were very concerned about.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

My wife has a SOWP and there's nothing on it that says its invalid if I lose my job.