PR residency obligations not met

Old Nov 15th 2022, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

WhoisJAck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR residency obligations not met

I became a Canadian Permanent resident in 2014. In 2021 I also became a US Citizen. Since 2014, I only have visited Canada twice for couple of days. I never applied to voluntarily renounce my permanent resident status. Now I plan to visit to Canada next month on US passport. My question is that what kind of questions I will be asked by Canadian border officials. I know that I still have Canadian PR and I have not voluntarily renounced it, but at the same time I have not fulfilled my residency obligations. What kind of actions will Canadian border officials take? Will this have any impact on my US Citizenship. I will be landing at Toronto Pearson international Airport
Old Nov 16th 2022, 11:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR residency obligations not met

Originally Posted by WhoisJAck
I became a Canadian Permanent resident in 2014. In 2021 I also became a US Citizen. Since 2014, I only have visited Canada twice for couple of days. I never applied to voluntarily renounce my permanent resident status. Now I plan to visit to Canada next month on US passport. My question is that what kind of questions I will be asked by Canadian border officials. I know that I still have Canadian PR and I have not voluntarily renounced it, but at the same time I have not fulfilled my residency obligations. What kind of actions will Canadian border officials take? Will this have any impact on my US Citizenship. I will be landing at Toronto Pearson international Airport
Hi, welcome to BE.

It won't have any affect on your US citizenship at all, it's not relevant.

You'll have to complete the Declaration Card, and one of the questions on that is the date you left Canada. Plus you'll be flagged as a PR on their system and are likely to be asked verbally how long you've been absent for as well. So once they see that you haven't met the residency obligations from one (or both) of those, I'd expect the CBSA officer to report you and issue a removal order.

Personally, to avoid the extra time for entry and hassle (particularly of having a potential removal order against you and then having to declare it forever more anytime you want to visit), I'd just apply to renounce it before you go. It's unlikely to be processed in time, but at least you can say it's underway.

HTH.
Old Nov 16th 2022, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for your kind reply. Below are some of my questions

1) If we apply to renounce our PR this month then how long will it take to get the result. We plan to travel in the last week of December next month. Will it show up in their system that PR renouncing is in process? If not, what proof needs to be shown

2) What is a removal order and what impact will it have on our future travels to Canada as a US citizen?
Old Nov 16th 2022, 3:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

There's no fixed timeline for renouncing PR but it usually takes longer than a month.

Info on Removal Orders and the procedure in here - https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ir.../enf23-eng.pdf

Is there any way your visit could be postponed until you have relinquished PR? It would just be sooooo much easier!
Old Nov 17th 2022, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Let's says that I apply to renounce our PR this month and I travel next month to Canada and tell the CBSA officer that I have applied to renounce our PR and show him the documentary proofs will he still give me the removal order? Actually, I have already booked my flights
Old Nov 17th 2022, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoisJAck
Let's says that I apply to renounce our PR this month and I travel next month to Canada and tell the CBSA officer that I have applied to renounce our PR and show him the documentary proofs will he still give me the removal order? Actually, I have already booked my flights
Unfortunately nobody on here can predict what will happen even me (CBSA officer).
Old Nov 17th 2022, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Another option I was considering renouncing Canadian PR at the port of entry
Old Apr 24th 2023, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

I did submit my application for voluntarily renunciation of permanent resident status on 3rd January 2023 for myself, my wife and my two children. On my application and my daughter's application I mentioned my email address , but on my wife's application and my son's application I forgot to put down the email address. On 12th January I got an email confirmation of renunciation of permanent resident status for myself and my daughter, but I did not get any email confirmation about my wife and my son. We didn't get any communication in the post also. So, I want to know what's the status of my wife's and son's application. I presume that their status has also been revoked.