Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR Renewal - Do you need 'certified' copies for passport and PR card?

PR Renewal - Do you need 'certified' copies for passport and PR card?

Old May 21st 2023, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

just_a_guy_in_canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR Renewal - Do you need 'certified' copies for passport and PR card?

Hi!

Working on PR Card renewal. Following this guide:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...er.html#5445E2

It's mostly fine, but my confusion comes from these 2 sections

A copy of one of the following primary identity documents:Note: The copy should show:
  • your valid passport or travel document or
  • the passport or travel document you had when you became a permanent resident (if applicable, include the passport page that was stamped when you arrived in Canada and became a permanent resident) or
  • the certificate of identity or travel document issued by the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada or a foreign country.
  • the document type and number;
  • issue and expiry date;
  • your name;
  • your photo; and
  • your date of birth

Your PR card

If you are applying to renew your present card, you should keep it until you get your new card and include a copy of it with your application.
In both cases, the wording says 'copy'. It does not say 'certified copy', nor does it say 'true certified copy'. However, elsewhere on the page it discusses what makes a copy a 'true certified copy'. But it's not clear to me if that's only required for specific items, such as where it discusses 'statutory declarations' for example.

This kind of vagueness is infuriating to me. It'll be extra effort and delay my application to have to certify the copies so I'd really rather avoid it if it's not needed.

So, does anyone know for sure whether I have to provide certified copies of my passport and PR card or if straight photocopies, i.e. direct from printer to envelope, are fine?

Thanks!
Old May 22nd 2023, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

DeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Renewal - Do you need 'certified' copies for passport and PR card?

When I did a PRTD application last year I submitted standard colour photocopies which weren't certified, so you should be okay doing similar.
Old Nov 16th 2023, 3:24 am
Just Joined

Datsuncherry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR Renewal - Do you need 'certified' copies for passport and PR card?

Hi there,
I am in the same predicament right now, just completing my app to renew PR card and finding it confusing as to whether they need certified photocopies or not. What did you end up doing?
thanks,
Old Dec 8th 2023, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

yakkiebush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Datsuncherry
Hi there,
I am in the same predicament right now, just completing my app to renew PR card and finding it confusing as to whether they need certified photocopies or not. What did you end up doing?
thanks,
I’m having a real hard time here also.
to old for all this computer ladle lol.
getting to the stage I’ll just stay in Canada.