Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR Landing without Principal Applicant..?

PR Landing without Principal Applicant..?

Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

MarkV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR Landing without Principal Applicant..?

Hi,

Can somebody help me with this query, I remember reading somewhere that when landing for your PR the principal applicant must land first. Searched the forum threads but can't find the post again.

My situation is this, my partner (principal applicant) was sponsored with myself for PR under the PNP route by British Columbia. Our application (via London) has progressed and we had passport requests a couple of weeks back which we have now sent off. Prior to the passport request, I (spouse) had already booked a trip back to the UK in mid-November without my partner.

My questions are this:

i) When I arrive back in Vancouver airport in November without my partner but with a PR visa in my passport what happens? Will I be allowed to 'land' without her being there or will I have to use my existing Work Permit (valid till June 2008) to come back to Canada?

ii) When we sent off our passports, I included a note advising of and a copy of my flight details in mid November. The passport request letter noted that if nothing is received back within 6 weeks we should contact London. Now with the Royal Mail strike and the London website advising that nothing will be posted because of it, what can I do if my flight date approaches and I have no UK passport back(!)?

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:47 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Landing without Principal Applicant..?

Hi

Originally Posted by MarkV
Hi,

Can somebody help me with this query, I remember reading somewhere that when landing for your PR the principal applicant must land first. Searched the forum threads but can't find the post again.

My situation is this, my partner (principal applicant) was sponsored with myself for PR under the PNP route by British Columbia. Our application (via London) has progressed and we had passport requests a couple of weeks back which we have now sent off. Prior to the passport request, I (spouse) had already booked a trip back to the UK in mid-November without my partner.

My questions are this:

i) When I arrive back in Vancouver airport in November without my partner but with a PR visa in my passport what happens? Will I be allowed to 'land' without her being there or will I have to use my existing Work Permit (valid till June 2008) to come back to Canada?

Nope, not unless your partner has already landed.

ii) When we sent off our passports, I included a note advising of and a copy of my flight details in mid November. The passport request letter noted that if nothing is received back within 6 weeks we should contact London. Now with the Royal Mail strike and the London website advising that nothing will be posted because of it, what can I do if my flight date approaches and I have no UK passport back(!)?

Too bad that you didn't use a courier service, but if you don't have your passport you can't travel anywhere can you?

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Old Oct 8th 2007, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

MarkV is an unknown quantity at this point

Many Thanks for your quick reply PMM, could you clarify one of your answers for me?

Nope, not unless your partner has already landed

So if I turn up at Vancouver airport with both a valid (?) work permit and a PR visa sticker in my passport - both of which ostensibly entitle me to work and have some sort of residence in Canada. I will not be allowed to re-enter Canada? Do I now pose an immigration 'risk'?

If that is the case what is the rationale? Where could I find reference to this (as I did look through the 'Publications' section of the CIC site)?

Could I ask to enter via my work permit only, as based on the above I presume my PR visa would be invalid until my partner has landed in Canada? Or could I ask her to come to the airport to meet me and ask for her to pass through immigration to 'land' with me?

ii) Too bad that you didn't use a courier service, but if you don't have your passport you can't travel anywhere can you?

I did send by courier but couldn't find any reference on the London website to offer a courier service to send back. I'll contact them to provide them with a courier account number to see if they will now do that.

Mark
Old Oct 8th 2007, 7:25 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

let's see if i got it right:
your partner is the principal applicant?
your passports are in london now, right?
you intend to travel to the uk in november.

a) to be able to travel out of canada you need your passport anyway, right?
b) common sense tells me that all your passports are going to come back together.
c) conclusion from a) and b): you have to wait with traveling until your passport is back - however long it takes.

d) the principal applicant has to land first or at the same time as the dependents. (at least that's what my instruction lettre from cic stated...)

since you are in vancouver... shouldn't be a big problem to cross the border together as soon as you all get the passports with coprs, should it?
after that there is no question at all about which visa to use for returning to canada.

tell me what i'm missing, please.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 7:28 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by MarkV
Many Thanks for your quick reply PMM, could you clarify one of your answers for me?

Nope, not unless your partner has already landed

So if I turn up at Vancouver airport with both a valid (?) work permit and a PR visa sticker in my passport - both of which ostensibly entitle me to work and have some sort of residence in Canada. I will not be allowed to re-enter Canada? Do I now pose an immigration 'risk'?

If that is the case what is the rationale? Where could I find reference to this (as I did look through the 'Publications' section of the CIC site)?

Could I ask to enter via my work permit only, as based on the above I presume my PR visa would be invalid until my partner has landed in Canada? Or could I ask her to come to the airport to meet me and ask for her to pass through immigration to 'land' with me?

ii) Too bad that you didn't use a courier service, but if you don't have your passport you can't travel anywhere can you?

I did send by courier but couldn't find any reference on the London website to offer a courier service to send back. I'll contact them to provide them with a courier account number to see if they will now do that.

Mark
You can re-enter on the strength of your work permit. She cannot "land" at the airport, she will have to go to the US/Canadian border, go around the flagpole and return to Immigration for "landing" . Depending on how CBSA feels that day,they may just allow around the flagpole by taking the return to Canada lane, or she would either have to be admitted to the US and then return or obtain a rejection letter from the US.