Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR Landing: Round the Flagpole at Alberta/Montana

PR Landing: Round the Flagpole at Alberta/Montana

Old Oct 6th 2012, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default PR Landing: Round the Flagpole at Alberta/Montana

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...2.80.93Montana

Anyone have experiences of Coutts border crossing, as the Canadian Port of Entry to do their PR landing?

Will probably fly somewhere for a break and come back ni here at YEG, was just curious.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 1:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Landing: Round the Flagpole at Alberta/Montana

Read:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trip_a...lagpole-Canada

You probably want a specific plan to visit the U.S. to avoid the issues that come with getting a refusal of entry.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuabroad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...2.80.93Montana

Anyone have experiences of Coutts border crossing, as the Canadian Port of Entry to do their PR landing?

Will probably fly somewhere for a break and come back ni here at YEG, was just curious.
We activated our PR via Coutts in May this year.

At the US side the guard did not listen to us when we said we were going to Montana and then returning to Canada to activate our PR after the weekend. He told us very curtly to park the car on the left and go into the office. We did. Office had no one waiting, but they were sorting out a couple ahead of us. They left after about 5 minutes of us being in there. I went to the desk and said that we were told to come into this office. The guard told me to sit down and wait to be called. Did so. Then 30 minutes later he called us over and asked us to fill out some form to go back into Canada straight away. Told him we did not want to do that and I told him we were stopping in Great Falls over the weekend. He was grumpy as heck. We then paid the amount in dollars and left with the card thingy. After he took our money, he just slid our passports across the desk and turned his back. I asked him if we could go, he just looked and said'yes' . A most uncomfortable experience from the US side. They have a large poster on the wall saying they welcome visitors to the USA and are courteous and friendly. I think they put up the alternative poster We didn't expect hugs, giggles etc, but it would have been nice if his non-verbal communication was less threatening.
The Canadian side was such a pleasant contrast. Into the office and out again after 20 minutes with our signed COPR. All done by a smiley and humane border guard.

our experience was uncomfortable, but I have read on here for some it has been okay.

Hope it goes well for you.

Last edited by Mad Jockette; Oct 8th 2012 at 2:31 am.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mad Jockette
We activated our PR via Coutts in May this year.

At the US side the guard did not listen to us when we said we were going to Montana and then returning to Canada to activate our PR after the weekend. He told us very curtly to park the car on the left and go into the office. We did. Office had no one waiting, but they were sorting out a couple ahead of us. They left after about 5 minutes of us being in there. I went to the desk and said that we were told to come into this office. The guard told me to sit down and wait to be called. Did so. Then 30 minutes later he called us over and asked us to fill out some form to go back into Canada straight away. Told him we did not want to do that and I told him we were stopping in Great Falls over the weekend. He was grumpy as heck. We then paid the amount in dollars and left with the card thingy. After he took our money, he just slid our passports across the desk and turned his back. I asked him if we could go, he just looked and said'yes' . A most uncomfortable experience from the US side. They have a large poster on the wall saying they welcome visitors to the USA and are courteous and friendly. I think they put up the alternative poster We didn't expect hugs, giggles etc, but it would have been nice if his non-verbal communication was less threatening.
The Canadian side was such a pleasant contrast. Into the office and out again after 20 minutes with our signed COPR. All done by a smiley and humane border guard.

our experience was uncomfortable, but I have read on here for some it has been okay.

Hope it goes well for you.
Wonder what they're problem was that day. IMO you have to go out of your way to be an asshole. Thanks for the info though
Old Oct 8th 2012, 3:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mad Jockette
At the US side the guard did not listen to us when we said we were going to Montana and then returning to Canada to activate our PR after the weekend.
You probably complicated matters by mentioning that. You didn't need to say anything about it unless asked. You should simply have told him you were going to the USA for the weekend (assuming that was true) then only if asked mention your status in Canada (and if you had a valid work permit, that in itself was as probably as much as you needed to say initially).

No different to what you would have told USA immigration if going to the USA by air from Canada.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
You probably complicated matters by mentioning that. You didn't need to say anything about it unless asked. You should simply have told him you were going to the USA for the weekend (assuming that was true) then only if asked mention your status in Canada (and if you had a valid work permit, that in itself was as probably as much as you needed to say initially).

No different to what you would have told USA immigration if going to the USA by air from Canada.
I assume not all border crossing guards are robots. Changing how we act, in order just to have other people talk to us with basic civility, is a sad day. If these guys were working in a situation where i was getting in the way, different story. Come on, what happened to having a personality and optionally, a sense of humor (even if you are North American).
Old Oct 8th 2012, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

You are probably correct, but we do speak english. I don't think my husbands english accent ( he is English) is non-comprehendable. Maybe if the border guard had effectively listened to us, we may have had a more comfortable crossing toi the USA.

A little civility goes a long way
Old Nov 14th 2012, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Neil70 is an unknown quantity at this point

We're heading to Coutts on Monday to get our COPR signed; not entering US just going round the flagpole. Anyone know if I should get the family signed up to ESTA before I go (I have a US Visa)?

thanks!!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil70
We're heading to Coutts on Monday to get our COPR signed; not entering US just going round the flagpole. Anyone know if I should get the family signed up to ESTA before I go (I have a US Visa)?

thanks!!
ESTA not applicable at land border crossings. I94 waivers at land border crossings.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again Former Lancastrian! This PR process is the gift that keeps giving.
So I'm planning a 3.5hr road trip to the US border, flagpole past the US, back into Canada get my COPR signed.

Carway or Coutts Alberta are my options - Carway is getting the better buzz from people I know.

Any other thoughts re this process? Trying to avoid a sleepless weekend. Once the COPR is signed, can my stepson (only visiting Canada and no WP like me) get a SIN and get working and does he have to wait for the card (and how do you get that?)

Questions, questions, I know! Thanks all!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again Former Lancastrian! This PR process is the gift that keeps giving.
So I'm planning a 3.5hr road trip to the US border, flagpole past the US, back into Canada get my COPR signed.

Carway or Coutts Alberta are my options - Carway is getting the better buzz from people I know.

Any other thoughts re this process? Trying to avoid a sleepless weekend. Once the COPR is signed, can my stepson (only visiting Canada and no WP like me) get a SIN and get working and does he have to wait for the card (and how do you get that?)

Questions, questions, I know! Thanks all!
Carway is less busier than Coutts. Once you have landed then providing you give a Canadian address to CBSA when landing the PR cards will be mailed to that address. You are then free to apply for SIN numbers and look for a job and apply for health cards etc etc.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks! Carway is getting a lot of thumbs up so that's the plan.

I'm unsure whether a stamped, landed COPR will allow a SIN to be issued or whether the physical PR card is required?
Old Nov 14th 2012, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks! Carway is getting a lot of thumbs up so that's the plan.

I'm unsure whether a stamped, landed COPR will allow a SIN to be issued or whether the physical PR card is required?
As far as Im aware the COPR is sufficient as it can take over 10 weeks to get the PR card from CPC Sydney.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks!

This is the process that never ends tho: first applied in September 2009. Let's assume it takes 10 weeks to get PR cards, means a 42 month process from inside Canada where my wife and I both have WPs!!

Crikey.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks!

This is the process that never ends tho: first applied in September 2009. Let's assume it takes 10 weeks to get PR cards, means a 42 month process from inside Canada where my wife and I both have WPs!!

Crikey.
True but at least you were in Canada and not waiting the 42 months from outside as others have done. The question to ask yourself is was it worth waiting the 42 months and being in Canada or would it have been better staying in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.