PR confused help!

Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Sampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really nice
Default PR confused help!

I'm looking to apply for our PR cards, looking on cic and came across this-

If you are immigrating to Canada, you do not need to apply for a permanent resident card (PR card). We will mail your card to you after you get to Canada.

If you did not provide your Canadian mailing address when you became a permanent resident, you must send us your Canadian address using our online tool within 180 days of becoming a permanent resident.

What does that mean? I have a open work visa that last 2 years. Can some help clear up weather I need to apply or wait?
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:14 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR confused help!

if you are on a TWP then you are not a pR , so you don't get a PR card
simple
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Sampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really nice

Is a temp the same as a open work permit?
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

A PR card is simply proof of PR status. You don't have PR status, so can't apply for a card.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sampace1983
Is a temp the same as a open work permit?
Yes, it's still a temporary work permit, it's just an open one.

HTH.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Ok so a twp is the same as a owp.
I can't apply for a PR card on this?
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:23 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

No because you are NOT A PERMANENT RESIDENT
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for all your help. Oh and thank you for the CAPITAL LETTERING, you haven't made me feel stupid all.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

As said above, a PR card is only proof of PR status.

Look at it this way, compare it to a driving licence. You have lessons, pass your test and only then get a little plastic card proving you've passed your test and are allowed to drive.

For a PR card, you apply for PR and go through all the visa processing (kinda like lessons in my little analogy ), then once the visa is granted you go and 'land' to activate your status (the test in my analogy) and only then do you get a little plastic card proving you are a PR of Canada.

You can't get a driving licence without passing a driving test first, just as you can't get a PR card without applying for PR first.

Does that make sense now?
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Yes that's make sense, thank you.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 7:06 pm
Professional Cat herder

Thank you for all your help. Oh and thank you for the CAPITAL LETTERING, you haven't made me feel stupid all.
sorry didn't actually notice, probably something sticky on my keyboard
Old Nov 15th 2013, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Similar not the same. TWP is just a temporary work permit with a set end date and usually connected to a specific employer, job, position.
An OWP is a temporary work permit that is not connected to any employer therefore it's called open.

If one comes with a positive LMO he'll get a Temp work permit for i.e. 1 year for a specific job and if he's a certain skill level the spouse can have an open work permit. After the year he'd have to apply for a new LMO and hope for the best etc.

After you have applied for permanent residency and successfully got it then you will get a PR card. Then you can work, live and do most things Canadians do without having to leave the country apart from getting criminal, then they might chuck you out and you can't vote until you are a citizen.