PR Cards - Rushed

Old Dec 23rd 2015, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all
Default PR Cards - Rushed

Hi Everyone

I was looking at surprising my wife with a trip to Mexico next month, only our PR cards that were sent in August for renewal aren't expected to get back to us until March.

I know there are new rules that you HAVE to travel with you PR card starting March 16 2016, but what is the requirement for travel before then?

I know you can rush the application if you have proof of travel, but they still say no guarantee and the trip will be non-refundable if I go ahead and book.

Merry Xmas all!
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Cards - Rushed

There is no new rule that says you have to travel with your PR card. Rather, the system may refuse you an ETA when it sees in its database that you're an actual PR - in which case the airline won't let you board unless you have your PR card in hand.

I typed "may refuse" because no-one actually knows how "the system" will react to a PR applying for an ETA. There is nothing in the rules or regulations that says ETAs must be refused to PRs.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable has more info - Former Lancastrian?

Last edited by FlyingDutchman6666; Dec 23rd 2015 at 12:45 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, it says within the application process that:

Reminder
You cannot apply for an eTA if you are:

a Canadian citizen or a dual Canadian citizen,
a Canadian permanent resident, or
a U.S. citizen. (However, lawful permanent residents of the U.S. need an eTA if travelling by air.)

Apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 23rd 2015 at 2:20 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

An ETA is not required until March 16th.

Until then: it will depend, as always since PR cards came into existence, on whether the airline involved will allow you to board for the return journey from Mexico to Canada.

Last edited by Shirtback; Dec 23rd 2015 at 1:18 pm. Reason: Spelling. Ugh.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting, so we do know and they've chosen not to issue ETAs to PRs. The law/regulations do not mention this scenario explicitly, so it'd be cool to find out on what basis they are excluding all PRs. Perhaps we'll find out after the first legal challenge. If such a challenge is even possible, perhaps they can refuse ETAs on any basis without legal recourse, just like the Americans? Which reminds me of this recent news story. I wish the UK MP (and David Cameron) good luck with their quest. They will need it.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...-david-cameron

Part of the ETA application asks if you've ever applied to come to Canada, then asks for the UCI. Presumably their database will be able to determine PR status on the basis of the UCI.

Last edited by FlyingDutchman6666; Dec 23rd 2015 at 12:47 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

To the OP: if you really want to go to Mexico without a PR card, and you don't mind a bit of risk, there's possibly a way.

Drive to a US airport. Use the VWP to enter the US. You get an I94W card stapled to your passport.
Fly to Mexico from the US. Do not allow the airline staff to remove the I94W from your passport. They are not obliged to, as you're flying to 'contiguous territory'.
At the end of your trip, fly back to the US from Mexico. Use the I94W in your passport as proof of legal status in the US. That should get you onto the flight, as you're allowed to resume your US 'trip' from contiguous territory.
Drive back into Canada. Tell the border staff you're a PR but not in possession of a PR card. They might tell you off, but will let you in.

AFAIK all of this falls within the US and Canadian rules. Post in the US section of the forum if you want more certainty.
YMMV.

Probably easier to always keep your PR card up to date, though ;-)
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If it were me, I'd want certainty and for things to be straightforward, so I personally would wait before booking the trip (given you haven't booked it yet and it's not an emergency). Then I'd go last minute dot com (not book with them but just the concept) or just go on another date. Do you really need all that stress when it isn't an emergency, especially for what sounds like a special occasion?

As Shirtback says, the discretion of the airline is going to be the main issue (before March 15).

S

PS: Flying D: I read the Guardian story. The children must have been so disappointed. How embarrassing and I just can't believe they lost all that money.

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 23rd 2015 at 6:01 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks!
This scenario is causing major stress in my current situation.
I learned a few weeks ago, that my dad is terminally ill and has now been given a timeline of 2-3 months (on average). I had my PR Renewal sent along to CIC on 6th January and it's more than likely that I may have to apply for a "rush process".
However, I understand that your application must be logged onto their system, before you can even apply - and of course, provide proof of your planned flight etc. It doesn't make me feel any better, knowing that if not yet logged onto their system, they suggest that you fill in a PR application all over again, with all support documents, only this time, stating the "rush" option.
Whatever the outcome, there are clearly many stressful days ahead.
Kind Regards,Siv
Old Jan 26th 2016, 6:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SivoxII
Hi folks!
This scenario is causing major stress in my current situation.
I learned a few weeks ago, that my dad is terminally ill and has now been given a timeline of 2-3 months (on average). I had my PR Renewal sent along to CIC on 6th January and it's more than likely that I may have to apply for a "rush process".
However, I understand that your application must be logged onto their system, before you can even apply - and of course, provide proof of your planned flight etc. It doesn't make me feel any better, knowing that if not yet logged onto their system, they suggest that you fill in a PR application all over again, with all support documents, only this time, stating the "rush" option.
Whatever the outcome, there are clearly many stressful days ahead.
Kind Regards,Siv
Sorry to hear about your Dad

You can fly back and then get a Travel Permit. Application for a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad) - no need to delay your plans.

Old Jan 26th 2016, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for your reply Siouxie, I really appreciate it!! If I can somehow reduce 50 flavours of stress, down to 10 in the next couple of weeks, that will be progress. So ... I will not hold any hope on seeing my PR Application logged anytime soon, so looking at the possibility of moving to a "rush process" looks unlikely. Therefore, addressing the link you kindly provided for the PR Travel Document on re-entering Canada, will be priority once I land in the UK. Kind Regards,Siv
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

As the Travel Document is now the cemented option for returning to Canada, I am thinking of filling in 90% of the PDF now, having my photos done again at Costco and completing/submitting the application once in the UK a couple of days after arriving.
Has anyone else "ventured" this approach? ... as I will be heavily involved in "family matters" once back in the UK, so anything I can deal with ahead of time would be an advantage.
Kind Regards,Siv
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

As the Travel Document is now the cemented option for returning to Canada, I am thinking of filling in 90% of the PDF now, having my photos done again at Costco and completing/submitting the application once in the UK a couple of days after arriving.
Has anyone else "ventured" this approach? ... as I will be heavily involved in "family matters" once back in the UK, so anything I can deal with ahead of time would be an advantage.
Kind Regards,Siv
Years ago (when the procedure was somewhat different - direct access to the High Commission in London ) I did do a similar process:

- filled out PRTD forms, took copy of PR card application & other relevant docs; flew into London, went straight to HC where I queued up & waited; exited a few hours later with (what turned out to be an unnecessary) PRTD.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Many thanks for your reply Shirtback!
So long as no "silly" questions are asked, along the lines of "why were these photos taken several days earlier?" ... "why are they stamped with a Canadian photography address?" ... "why are some parts of your form signed with a different date?".
So long as it's obvious that I filled in most of the forms/acquired photos here in Canada, to simply save the headache of dealing with it "all" back in the UK, then hopefully it's not questionable why I am going about it this way?
Again, many thanks!Siv
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 6:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for your reply Shirtback!
So long as no "silly" questions are asked, along the lines of "why were these photos taken several days earlier?" ... "why are they stamped with a Canadian photography address?" ... "why are some parts of your form signed with a different date?".
So long as it's obvious that I filled in most of the forms/acquired photos here in Canada, to simply save the headache of dealing with it "all" back in the UK, then hopefully it's not questionable why I am going about it this way?
Again, many thanks!Siv
You can print everything off here, fill them in and then submit it to the VAC by post when you get to the UK if you don't have time to go to London in person. I would have a good read through the document checklists as there's a fair amount of proof of residency required.. VAC also has a document checklist which is separate to CIC's.

Canada Visa Information - United Kingdom - Frequently Asked Questions

Old Feb 2nd 2016, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You can print everything off here, fill them in and then submit it to the VAC by post when you get to the UK if you don't have time to go to London in person. I would have a good read through the document checklists as there's a fair amount of proof of residency required.. VAC also has a document checklist which is separate to CIC's. Canada Visa Information - United Kingdom - Frequently Asked Questions
Sounds good to me Siouxie!!
I'll be working from the original link you kindly provided a few posts above, so looking through this guide, I can already see a few unique questions/support document requirements, compared with a PR/PR Renewal Application.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...s/5529ETOC.asp

So, yes ... I will have 99% of the forms/docs/photo etc all in place, then do a thorough check back in the UK, then send the application down to London Town!
All the best,Siv

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.