Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR Card renewal - Can I travel while "In Progress"?

PR Card renewal - Can I travel while "In Progress"?

Old Jul 13th 2015, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: PR Card renewal - Can I travel while "In Progress"?

A quick update. I spoke to the case processing officer who is dealing with the kids' PR renewals today, and he confirmed he is unable to process them as children do have to supply secondary ID from the same list as adults, plus the additional documentation for under 18s.
For any child in Alberta, this means the original COPR form, or a Verification of Status. Nothing else.
Nice chap. Stupid rules.
Our VOS request is already in, so I guess it depends whether that arrives before they get a driving license or file two years of taxes as to when we can reapply...
In other news, he did confirm that my card renewal has been issued. So my husband and I have nice shiny PR cards (because we are adults with driving licenses and taxes) but it is impossible at this point to apply for renewal for my children.
I will be taking this up with the relevant governmental bodies both federally and in Alberta (as apparently the fault largely lies with Alberta for not having mandatory provincial ID nor photo healthcare.) Any suggestions as to where to direct my ire more than welcome ;-)
Old Jul 13th 2015, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds unbelievably annoying, Debbiem .

Have you contacted your MP about direction of ire/the whole case in general?
Old Jul 13th 2015, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

not yet - will do so now - I wanted to give them a chance to respond and confirm they were going to refuse the renewal again, and now that I have spoken to a human being who confirmed what I suspected, I'll go ahead. grr.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Grrrrrr - ing alongside you in sympathy . Keep us posted.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

itsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond repute

Since we have been without a PR card (new applicants) for about 12 weeks having activated PR mid May I would like to report our experiences.

We avoided travel out of Canada as long as possible as lawyer had advised us not to travel. After 8 weeks waiting I checked the website and the 6-8 week processing time had changed to 12 weeks (84 days).

My husband had to do two trips to the USA in the last fortnight. On both occasions he had no problems entering the USA or returning using private vehicle. He used the tunnel at Detroit rather than the bridge at Sarnia (lawyers recommendation). He was not asked to go into secondary processing on either occasion. The border guard seemed sympathetic and "typical government" in attitude on the first occasion. The border guard never even asked for a PR card or mentioned it on the second occasion. Apparently something quite exciting has happened on Coronation Street recently that was worth mentioning.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, if you are coming in via private vehicle, there is no problem. I'm still hoping they let my kids back on the plane. They should do, as they are coming from a visa waiver country on AC. Then they get to deal with secondary immigration and a residency determination. Nice. I'm sure my 11yo will enjoy that... Otherwise I guess we fly them to great falls and drive to pick them up... Ridiculous bureaucratic nonsense.

And as himself said, now that parliament has been dissolved and we can't vote, there is probably zero likelihood of getting a response from our MP... Grr.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh, I should also add, my PR card has not yet arrived, despite the case officer telling me it had been processed... Sigh. So I am probably also looking at that being lost somewhere (oh's arrived within two weeks and mine was allegedly processed at the same time) and having to fill in more forms for non-receipt...