Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR Card Renewal - but vacation is looming

PR Card Renewal - but vacation is looming

Old Jan 19th 2018, 3:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Card Renewal - but vacation is looming

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
It doesn't look that onerous as far as I can tell. Just provide the form plus COPR and proof of landing.

It's an unnecessary pain in the arse definitely but not the most complicated process I've ever seen unless I'm missing something.

Unfortunately the land crossing option is only available to you if you can either drive or can have someone drive over the border for you. Not sure why they wouldn't allow people to do it by bus really.
Plus documentary evidence that shows you meet the residency requirements and information for the 5 years prior to submitting the application.

See attached.
Attached Thumbnails PR Card Renewal - but vacation is looming-prtd.jpg  
Old Jan 19th 2018, 3:31 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Screenwriter
all great info!

Another question - say i just go down to shop in Seattle for the day before my PR card expires and then talk to the border staff coming back in to Canada. Do you think they would be able to help me out with a PRTD for when my PR card has expired?
No. A PRTD cannot be issued in Canada.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 3:37 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Plus documentary evidence that shows you meet the residency requirements and information for the 5 years prior to submitting the application.

See attached.
OK so what if you only landed on a short trip, never received a PR card and then returned 1-2 years after landing to live there for the first time as a PR? What kind of evidence would you need to or could you provide in those circumstances aside from the fully completed COPR and landing document?

I know a lot of people immigrate this way since Canada requires you to complete the landing process before your medicals expire but it seems like a bit of a black hole if you need a PRTD as a new immigrant and never had a PR card in the first place.

The official document just states as below however if only 2 out of 5 years since your landing date have passed then you surely wouldn't need to provide anything.

If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years
you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.
I see where you're coming from. If you have been resident in Canada for some time then the PRTD looks like it could be a hell of a lot of paperwork in some cases.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 19th 2018 at 3:43 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 5:23 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Screenwriter
all great info!

Another question - say i just go down to shop in Seattle for the day before my PR card expires and then talk to the border staff coming back in to Canada. Do you think they would be able to help me out with a PRTD for when my PR card has expired?
1. No, CBSA officers don't issue PRTDs. You have to apply at either the VAC or at a Consulate outside Canada.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Since you're quite close to Seattle (you write about popping down there for the day), the glaringly obvious fix is to fly back into Seattle (you need ESTA or a Visa whichever is applicable), have someone pick you up/get a one way car rental (no commercial transport) and cross via the land border with COPR, ID, proof of applying for PRC etc. OR apply for a PRTD via the VAC in Tokyo, Japan, once you are there. PRTD processing times aren't advertised so it will depend on how busy they are and how easy your application is to evaluate. Whether you get it in time for the return flight or not: no one can say.

Of course: you'll make "Plan B" arrangements and the PRC will probably turn up about a day before you leave! but that's life.

Last edited by Snowy560; Jan 19th 2018 at 11:56 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 11:15 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
the glaringly obvious fix is to fly back into Seattle (you need ESTA or a Visa whichever is applicable), have someone pick you up/get a one way car rental (no commercial transport) and cross via the land border with COPR, ID, proof of applying for PRC etc.
The problem with that surely is convincing the airline in Japan that you're OK to fly to America on a one way ticket with only an ESTA.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the requirements for US immigration but I do know plenty of Canadian residents get international flights in and out of Seattle because it's cheaper for example.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the requirements for US immigration but I do know plenty of Canadian residents get international flights in and out of Seattle because it's cheaper for example.
Thats because the flight originates from and ends in the USA. I think DG was referring to a one way flight out of Japan to the USA.
Much easier if the OP has no PR card or RPTD and living near the Us border is to book a return flight from the US rather than outward from Canada and return to the USA. Just asking for problems doing this.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes I do agree with that and thought for some reason maybe the flight already involved Seattle. I think because the OP mentioned trying to get a PRTD there (not possible).

Someone (PR) I know flew out of Vancouver and back into Seattle and was fine at US immigration (the Vancouver/Seattle sector may have been domestic I cannot recall) but it's true I do know of others (temporary residents in Canada) who weren't PRs who were questioned more.

Last edited by Snowy560; Jan 20th 2018 at 2:48 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 2:50 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Yes I do agree with that and thought for some reason maybe the flight already involved Seattle. I think because the OP mentioned trying to get a PRTD there (not possible).

Someone (PR) I know flew out of Vancouver and back into Seattle and was fine at US immigration but it's true I do know of others (temporary residents in Canada) who weren't PRs who were questioned more.
My understanding of I-94W is that you need to provide proof that you intend to leave the entire North American continent. Legal residents of neighbouring countries get a pass on this requirement as long as they can prove legal status in that country.

Obviously this guy can't hence why he's looking at alternative options in the first place.

My own experience of the check-in staff at Narita is that they don't tend to pay all that much attention to entry requirements in foreign destinations compared to the UK and European airports who are like white on rice. In either case though it's a roll of the dice and you'd still need to convince US immigration on arrival.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding of I-94W is that you need to provide proof that you intend to leave the entire North American continent. Legal residents of neighbouring countries get a pass on this requirement as long as they can prove legal status in that country.

Obviously this guy can't hence why he's looking at alternative options in the first place.

My own experience of the check-in staff at Narita is that they don't tend to pay all that much attention to entry requirements in foreign destinations compared to the UK and European airports who are like white on rice. In either case though it's a roll of the dice and you'd still need to convince US immigration on arrival.
His COPR could provide this as most USCBP officers in the Northern States are familiar with them plus he would have other forms of Canadian ID on him that would satisfy them but not airline agents.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes. The person I know who did this (flew into Seattle) was waiting for their initial PR Card.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 3:03 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
His COPR could provide this as most USCBP officers in the Northern States are familiar with them plus he would have other forms of Canadian ID on him that would satisfy them but not airline agents.
Flying back into America and going across the land border somehow would probably be the best option then. I know you absolutely can't comment on this but it would be interesting to know how rigorous the PR card checks are on bus services.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Flying back into America and going across the land border somehow would probably be the best option then. I know you absolutely can't comment on this but it would be interesting to know how rigorous the PR card checks are on bus services.
Depends on the carrier and if they have had previous infractions. Fine can be up to $25,000. Most drivers know to check ID as they would not get into Canada and will delay the bus and other travellers and in some cases have to take them back to the nearest stop in the USA that could be a few miles away and go through the process of clearing US Customs and then back to Canada.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 3:32 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Depends on the carrier and if they have had previous infractions. Fine can be up to $25,000. Most drivers know to check ID as they would not get into Canada and will delay the bus and other travellers and in some cases have to take them back to the nearest stop in the USA that could be a few miles away and go through the process of clearing US Customs and then back to Canada.
But presumably a British tourist could book a bus ticket from New York to Toronto without needing any document other than a valid passport. As I understand, eTA is only for air carriers and I'm guessing it's designed to prevent people with false documents from visa-free countries from boarding a flight to Canada in the first place.

Once you get to the land border and have a valid passport and can prove your PR somehow then it wouldn't matter if you didn't have a PRTD and came by bus because the PRTD was mainly for the bus company's benefit and not the CBSA/CIC?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.