Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR card renewal application - documents

PR card renewal application - documents

Old Jul 19th 2016, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default PR card renewal application - documents

It's been too long since I had to do this kind of document collection, it's like learning what to do all over again! I'm collecting together the required documents for our PR card renewal and I have a few (probably very straightforward) questions, hoping someone can help

1. Can I send both our applications in the same envelope?

2. Can I photocopy both our documents on the same page - ie. my passport and my partner's passport on the same piece of paper? (I have a feeling I can't do this).

3. They ask for our CRA Notices of Assessment, is there a particular page they want or should I send it all? I've lost one and when I print it out online it's just one page, not all the pages I have for other years. (I'm leaning towards sending them everything).

4. I'm assuming the date I use for our PR starting is the date on the back of the card ('PR since'). We landed to activate our PR, stayed for a week (I think) and then came back to the UK. Do I count that week as time spent in Canada as a PR, even though at that time we weren't living there/were still working in the UK/didn't have a SIN number?

Thanks!

Last edited by izzi81; Jul 19th 2016 at 10:35 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR card renewal application - documents

Your application is completely separate from anyone else's so prepare each of them as such.

If you have been a PR for less than 5 years, you count all days in Canada from the day you landed. You have to be able to demonstrate you could meet the residency obligation (min 730 days) within 5 years from the date you landed.

If you've been a PR for more the 5 years, you count the days in the 5 years preceding the date of your application.

Have a look at Appendix A in the Instruction guide:

Applying for a Permanent Resident Card (PR card) - Initial application, replacement, renewal or to change sex designation (IMM� 5445)

S
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

So I even mail them separately then? Sounds like I would have to...

We meet the residency requirements so I was hoping that bit of time at the start wouldn't count, mainly because I can't remember the dates of our trip or anything! I'm going to have to look through diaries and hope I wrote something down....
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hopefully my last question before getting this done... I've found our dates for our landing trip (phew). I am assuming we don't put in this time in Canada as that we lived there for that week, because we were just there on holiday. So for our address history we would just say we lived in Scotland for those dates? (We were in Canada but were staying in a rental cottage and did nothing in relation to living in Canada - no drivers licence, no SIN and so on. We left and didn't move over properly for about a year and a half).
Old Jul 20th 2016, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You must put the exact dates you were in Canada, when you entered and when you left, like a travel history. It still counts as time in Canada. If you start leaving things out, and what you write doesn't match your CBSA travel history, you are going to have problems.

S
Old Jul 20th 2016, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Izzi, I have just reread your first post and what you wrote about photocopying your passport onto one page wth your partner's ...

Have you read the instruction guide? You need to read this very carefully.
Do you know that you need to include:

Photocopies of all pages of all passports you held in the past five (5) years (if your stamps are not in English or French, please have them translated, see section on Translation of documents),

Applying for a Permanent Resident Card (PR card) - Initial application, replacement, renewal or to change sex designation (IMM 5445)

S
Old Jul 20th 2016, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Snowy560
You must put the exact dates you were in Canada, when you entered and when you left, like a travel history. It still counts as time in Canada. If you start leaving things out, and what you write doesn't match your CBSA travel history, you are going to have problems.

S
Yes I have all the dates for when we were in Canada and when we left, however when we first became PR we weren't living in Canada. So our PR date starts on Oct 15th 2011, but we were there for just over a week and then left on Oct 23rd back to Scotland. At that time we lived there, and we stayed living there until 2013. So I have PR starting on Oct 15th and then the following:
Address history inside + outside Canada:
Oct 15th - May 2013 living in Scotland (I am not saying Oct 15 - Oct 23rd living in Canada, because we weren't living there although our PR was activated. I'm not sure what they count as 'living' in a country - I assume if we have no possessions in that country and we're still working in Scotland it is not 'living' in Canada).

Travel history:
Oct 23rd - May 2013 living in Scotland because we hadn't emigrated yet. I have to use the Oct 23rd date here I presume because I was in Canada 15-23rd October.

I have no intention of leaving things out, I just don't know how to class things so that they don't think I'm trying to give false info!

Re. the passports, I know I have to photocopy all the pages of each passport (I actually have to photocopy 2 passports for my OH so that will be a lot of paper!) I was just wondering if I could do each page of both passports on the same piece of paper. Thinking about it now that was never going to work so they're just going to get half a tree in the mail...