Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR Card Expired: How to relinquish PR

PR Card Expired: How to relinquish PR

Old Sep 1st 2008, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

akash2008dal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR Card Expired: How to relinquish PR

My details:

1. Received PR Approval and landed in Canada (Ottawa) in Apr 2003 and the PR card was issued with a validity for 5 years, which expired in May 2008.

2. Have already spent a lot of money for many short duration stays (ranging from 3 to 21 days) to find jobs in Canada and settle there.

To have a greater roots in Canada to maintain PR,
- Have opened a bank account
- Have a credit card
- returned the never used Medical insurance (from Quebec) within a Month - as didnt want to waste tax payer dollars - until i really settle down.
- Tried to rent homes temporarily etc.
- worked for a subsidiary of Canadian business

But, i have clearly failed to move and settle there as couldn't find any jobs. Never applied PR for my spouse or child.

3. Now, that the PR card has expired in May 2008 and I never applied to renew it, and i only have accumulated 3 to 4 months stay in the last 5 years in Canada - it's clear that i have lost the PR status.

Also, due to monetary and other personal circumstances, i want to officially, surrender my PR status (if i have one) and return the card, as i will never be able to settle in Canada.

4. What is the official procedure to do so, relinquish PR (donno if i still have PR) or return PR card or write to CIC/embassy? What is my status currently?
Am i going to violate any Canadian law, if i dont take any further action?

I always stayed outside Canada during the last 5 years and only made temporary visits for business and personal reasons to Canada.

Gurus, please help and advise. I like Canada and wish to be able to visit on a VISA and dont want to put this in jeopardy.

thanks.

Akash
Old Sep 1st 2008, 7:48 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Card Expired: How to relinquish PR

Contact the nearest visa office and advise them of your intention to relinquish your status and ask for instructions as to how to do it.