PR Card

Old Sep 5th 2008, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

ngallo is on a distinguished road
Default PR Card

Hi,

My partner has obtained his PR Card and is it true that when it expires can we just renew his card even if we are not yet living in canada? I know things may change but at them moment what is allowed?

Thanks,
Nicole
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Card

He needs to meet his residency obligation - I'm guessing you're Canadian and he'll be abroad with you? If so, each day with you counts towards his residence requirement but for days towards citizenship. However, you did sign to say you intended to move back to Canada so you might be asked about why you haven't done that.

I don't think they ever send PR cards out of Canada, no.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
He needs to meet his residency obligation - I'm guessing you're Canadian and he'll be abroad with you? If so, each day with you counts towards his residence requirement but for days towards citizenship. However, you did sign to say you intended to move back to Canada so you might be asked about why you haven't done that.

I don't think they ever send PR cards out of Canada, no.
Hi Biiiiink,

Yes I am Canadian and we will be together abroad. Thanks for the info and link, I forgot that time together counts toward residence requirements. I didnt understand what you said does this time together also count for citizenship or do you have to live in canada for this?

Also do you know if he can just renew his PR card after it expires or do you have to apply for citizenship when it expires?

My partner has been offered a position for 3 years in australia so we are trying to decide if he should take it and live there a bit before we move back to canada.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:39 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Time with you overseas will not count towards the citizenship requirement. There are sometimes problems with interpretations or who is accompanying whom so be careful on that point.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Time with you overseas will not count towards the citizenship requirement. There are sometimes problems with interpretations or who is accompanying whom so be careful on that point.
Hi Jim,

Just came across this posting from months ago and just wanted to know if you can clear something up for me, or if anyone else has any comments;

We have since decided to move over to Australia after applying to loads of positions with in Canada and nothing has come about but have had multiple Job offers from Australia. As stated above, I am canadian and have sponsored my partner who has landed and obtained his PR card last year but we have not actually lived in Canada yet. When we accept a job offer from Australia and move there will he lose his PR card after it expires or can we renew it? If I am correct the time spent with me outside canada counts toward his 730 days requirement?

Basically we want to accept this position in Australia but not lose his PR card as we do in the future want to move to Canada but seeing as the job market has slowed down in this "credit crunch" we think the offer in australia is hard to pass up.

Do you think we can renew his PR card, as I have read that some people have been PRs for over 14 years!

Any advice or comments?
Nick
Old Dec 9th 2008, 1:09 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

As I said - who is accompanying whom? It has to be the PR accompanying the Canadian.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

As I said - who is accompanying whom? It has to be the PR accompanying the Canadian.
Well we both have been offered jobs but I guess for visa purpose to get into australia we would apply under him (PR) and not me (canadian). Its not that I am accompanying him we made the decision together as no job offers have come up yet in canada, and we can prove how many positions we have applied for. But how would the officer see it?
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It is unclear how you can draw a distinction if a couple are living together. Each accompanies the other.