Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR of Canada, living in Canada, Advance Parole from US and working in the US

PR of Canada, living in Canada, Advance Parole from US and working in the US

Old Jun 10th 2001, 1:47 am
Gosia

Hey Andrew or gurus help!

I understand that if somebody stays in Canada and commutes to work in the United
States - then everything is fine. He does not loose PR of Canada because he lives in
Canada for more than 183 days per year.

Now if a person changes his status in the United States from H1B to Advance Parole
and EAD because he is currently thinking of becoming a PR of the US - will he
automatically loose his PR status in Canada?

It is kind of fuzzy because I guess one could interpret this move as intention of
abondoning his status in Canada. But then again maybe the person is still confused -
so you cannot say positively the person is abondning his PR of Canada.

I also understand that once he gets PR stamp of the US - he looses his PR in Canada.

Can anybody shed some light on this? I think this topic was not discussed extensively
on this discussion board.

Old Jun 10th 2001, 5:58 am
Andrew Miller

Changing status from H1B to Advance Parole and EAD is not just thinking about getting
Green Card, it is already beyond decision stage and it is taking legal steps towards
permanent residency in the US. Such may be interpreted as a clear intention of
abandoning Canada as a place of permanent residence. Depending from other factors
person may be deemed to have abandoned Canada already if such person not only works
but also lives in US. Taking residency in another country is clearly deemed by
Canadian immigration law as abandoning Canada as a place of permanent residence.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending an email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 11th 2001, 3:25 pm
Peter

Not until the person is caught and only an Immigration Adjudicator can take away his
status. Breaking the law is one thing. Getting caught is another. It is risky but
think about it, IRS is so busy with their own business, do you think it is their
priority area to hunt down abusers of PR intention? It is a time bomb, of course.

Peter

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]>> Hey Andrew or gurus help![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> I understand that if somebody stays in Canada and commutes to work in the United[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> States - then everything is fine. He does not loose PR of Canada because he lives[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> in Canada for more than 183 days per year.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Now if a person changes his status in the United States from H1B to Advance Parole[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> and EAD because he is currently thinking of becoming a PR of the US - will he[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> automatically loose his PR status in Canada?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> It is kind of fuzzy because I guess one could interpret this move as intention of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> abondoning his status in Canada. But then again maybe the person is still confused[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> - so you cannot say positively the person is abondning his PR of Canada.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> I also understand that once he gets PR stamp of the US - he looses his PR in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Canada.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Can anybody shed some light on this? I think this topic was not discussed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> extensively on this discussion board.[/usenetquote2]

Old Jun 11th 2001, 8:47 pm
Henrik

Peter<[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I have been lurking on this site for a while since I started to apply for PR status 2
years ago and now a landed PR settled in Canada. I don't know who you are, but ever
since you got on this site, you just yap, yap, and yap full of nonsense. You are such
a smut suggesting the loopholes within the law, then wise up and LEAVE MR. ANDREW
MILLER ALONE!

Old Jun 12th 2001, 2:34 am
Jagzeur

[email protected] (Henrik)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Either a "smut" or a CIC/CSS "mole" performing surveillance and deliberatedly setting
traps to see who falls in. Now wouldn't the latter be really interesting....