PR advice

Old Jan 6th 2015, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Redgamble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR advice

Hi guys,

I'm going to give ya a quick run down on whats gone on with me, and what I'd like to do, and I'm hoping you can either tell me that what I'm planning is the best option, or if there is another way (Quicker way) to get to where I want to be. Please bear with this, it may be slightly long!

So I went out to Canada in January 2012, after being sponsored by my dad. He was there on a work permit, and that meant that as I was under 22, he could sponsor me for an open work permit for the duration of his permit. So I got a work permit for two and a half years. Got me a job, and loved every minute of my time out there. Settled, got a car, met a lovely lady etc. Anyway, I tried to apply for an extension to my permit, but couldn't get it as I was now over 22, I needed my employer to get a LMO as it was at the time. So I left Canada a couple of days before my permit was up, so to not be illegal and put at risk any future entry.

During those two and a half years, my dad got his PR, and in turn my mum moved over too as she got PR as well. Since I've had to come back to the UK, I'm lucky enough to have had my girlfriend get a permit for the UK, and come over and be with me. Now, ultimately we plan on going back to Canada. He family is there and mine are now too. She has to be back by September due to having to go to school.

So. My plan is, to apply for IEC if I'm fast enough, then we head back in August, I'll get my year (And i'll try and get in on a second year too), by which time we will have lived together for a year, so she can sponsor me as common law. As far as I'm aware, this is the best and the fastest route back.

My concern is of course missing out on IEC as they go fast. Does anyone know of any other ways I can get back if I do miss this? Or is it a case of that is my only way?

I'd like to think the fact that having both my parents over there would play a part. I live(d) with them and if it wasnt for my sister and brother in law being so understanding, I could have been dumped back homeless. But thats neither here nor there.

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 6th 2015, 4:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR advice

Your parents living there will make no difference I'm afraid.

Why didn't they apply for PR before you turned 22 out of interest?

Sounds like IEC is definitely your best option, otherwise you'd need a LMIA (new name for LMO, and much harder to get), or to move as a visitor so you can complete your year of living together for spousal sponsorship.

Best of luck, hope you manage to get an IEC - just keep watching the website!
Old Jan 6th 2015, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Cheers, I figured as much that IEC would be the best bet.

They didn't apply for PR before I hit 22, because they didn't qualify for it.

I'll just keep refreshing the IEC page and hope I get lucky
Old Jan 6th 2015, 4:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

That's really odd, how come they didn't qualify for PR until 2 years in? What route did they apply under? Not that it helps now, but I'm just intrigued as I can't think of any route that they wouldn't have qualified for earlier.

Good luck with the IEC - get everything together ready, there's a great thread further down the page for any and all IEC related questions which should be useful.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

I've just been reading through the whole IEC thread. I got pretty much everything together. Just need to make sure I got a scan of my passport on my computer.

Well, basically my dad went to Canada 6 months before me, he applied for it under the Canadian experience class I believe as he qualified for that. I can't remember if you had to have one year or two years of skilled work in Canada to qualify for that. Either way, I turned 22 a month after getting in to Canada, so my dad had only been there for 7 months.

I'm not sure if there was another route he could of gone down to get it any earlier, but his company was processing it all on his behalf, so yeah. My youngest sister is over there awaiting hers, as when they applied she was under 22. She got lucky :P

Now I just need to get lucky with my IEC!
Old Jan 7th 2015, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

If you worked there for 2.5 years would CEC not be a stream you could use? (I might be wrong though)
Old Jan 7th 2015, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

I don't believe I qualify. Under the rules it has be be classed as skilled. So the NOC code has to start with a 0, A, or B. Looked up mine and I'm pretty sure mine is a C. I was previously under the impression I did qualify for it, and previous the site said I did skilled work. Maybe they changed it, or maybe I misread something, but as far as I can see, I don't meet criteria .

That was going to be my original plan. But looks like its a no go.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 5:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Redgamble
I don't believe I qualify. Under the rules it has be be classed as skilled. So the NOC code has to start with a 0, A, or B. Looked up mine and I'm pretty sure mine is a C. I was previously under the impression I did qualify for it, and previous the site said I did skilled work. Maybe they changed it, or maybe I misread something, but as far as I can see, I don't meet criteria .

That was going to be my original plan. But looks like its a no go.
What NOC code was it (just to double check!)? Would your previous employer be prepared to do some paperwork to get you back?
Old Jan 7th 2015, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

My NOC code is: 8411

Its for Underground mine service and support workers. I worked on building tunnels, like the TTC expansion, and then water pipe and sewer pipe tunnels.

I was unionized (Local 183) so I'm pretty sure my employers can't do anything.

The only thing I might have going for me is they said they will give me a job again whenever I get back.