British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   PPRs anyone? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/pprs-anyone-658008/)

G77 May 12th 2010 12:54 am

Re: PPRs anyone?

Originally Posted by Clematis (Post 8559537)
Did you see my response on the Flag poling thread?

Just looked at it thanks.... Think I have my contract and original offer letter somewhere, would need to get a copy of the letter I sent with the PR docs though....

Hammy1976 May 14th 2010 1:20 am

I thought everyone had to go through background checks, my lawyer seems to think only about 20,000, presume he means a year or maybe a day :ohmy:

The visa office is well within their rights to request background checks, and the time it will take to complete itself may go beyond normal processing procedure. I have clients who have waited 4 months, and some who are still waiting for a response after over a year. Because of this, we cannot estimate a processing time for your file at this point.

With a background check, your information has been sent to CSIS, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service. CSIS receives almost 20,000 requests for background checks and that may cause future delays in your file. The delay, though not unusual, is dependant on how cooperative government officials from all the countries that you have lived in are to the CSIS' requests for your background checks. The good news here is that you and your spouse have not travelled extensively to remote locations, and so the checks should be somewhat easier to complete than normal.

I think my problem will be having lived in Jersey, The Channel Islands. Even though they are part of the UK they have their own independent systems etc (well I call them systems but it's more like some slate and chalk :blink:

G77 May 14th 2010 4:22 am

I think everyone has the check, but it's either a basic one or a more detailed one.... Looks for some reason like we've been flagged for a more detailed one. They don't disclose the reasons of course, but living in another country is one factor or working for the government, that kind of thing.

G77 May 19th 2010 1:26 am

Still waiting.....

No CAIPS notes yet either.

4 Months tomorrow since we did the meds

:thumbdown:

Coffeepot May 19th 2010 1:57 am

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 8576045)
Still waiting.....

Thought you would have had something by now, maybe thats a good sign not getting CAIPS yet like clematis she got her PR instead :fingerscrossed: really hope you hear soon,

i mean Passport requests

G77 May 19th 2010 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Coffeepot (Post 8576116)
Thought you would have had something by now, maybe thats a good sign not getting CAIPS yet like clematis she got her PR instead :fingerscrossed: really hope you hear soon,

i mean Passport requests

Thanks - it's getting beyond a joke now!

Need to get my finger out and get the TWP renewal in....

Coffeepot May 19th 2010 5:44 am

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 8576186)
Thanks - it's getting beyond a joke now!

Need to get my finger out and get the TWP renewal in....

Its not right G77 feel so cross for you :fingerscrossed:

LibraJen May 20th 2010 3:07 am

Got my PPR today!!! I'm so excited, I can finally breathe a sigh of relief!!! (Sorry don't want to rub salt in the wounds of those who have been waiting for ages!!!) I will be taking my passport to the London office next Thursday, I've already handed in my notice at work so I will finish up on the 18th June and am flying to Montréal on the 23rd to be there in time for la fête de la St Jean Baptiste!! I was planning on just going out and staying on a tourist visa but now I will be able to actually settle in properly!!! :thumbsup:

kmcguinness May 21st 2010 3:51 am

Originally Posted by LibraJen (Post 8578718)
Got my PPR today!!! I'm so excited, I can finally breathe a sigh of relief!!! (Sorry don't want to rub salt in the wounds of those who have been waiting for ages!!!) I will be taking my passport to the London office next Thursday, I've already handed in my notice at work so I will finish up on the 18th June and am flying to Montréal on the 23rd to be there in time for la fête de la St Jean Baptiste!! I was planning on just going out and staying on a tourist visa but now I will be able to actually settle in properly!!! :thumbsup:

congrats to you :)

and to all those still waiting...hang in there !

kae

Clematis May 21st 2010 11:44 am

Still waiting.....

Not had our CAIPS either, not that we need them now, still got my :fingerscrossed: for you though....

G77 May 26th 2010 12:51 am

Any news Hammy?

Still waiting here :rolleyes:

Lindita May 26th 2010 1:23 am

Originally Posted by LibraJen (Post 8578718)

--Congratulations! I am also a Quebec applicant and still waiting, had my medicals done bac in march and since then no news from them.
All the best!

Hammy1976 May 26th 2010 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 8591113)
Any news Hammy?

Still waiting here :rolleyes:

zippitydoodah... based on my email from immigration lawyer, I'm resigned to the possibility of this taking another 3 or 4 months, that way if it turns up earlier I'll be delighted (a strategy that isn't really working to be honest, the flights we wanted to book (BA) are now double in price and our only option is the one day a week charter flight from Glasgow, not ideal but hey ho)

I'd be happy to give up my slot to you, sounds like your timings are very tight + your already in Canada!!

all the best :)

G77 May 27th 2010 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Hammy1976 (Post 8593033)
zippitydoodah... based on my email from immigration lawyer, I'm resigned to the possibility of this taking another 3 or 4 months, that way if it turns up earlier I'll be delighted (a strategy that isn't really working to be honest, the flights we wanted to book (BA) are now double in price and our only option is the one day a week charter flight from Glasgow, not ideal but hey ho)

I'd be happy to give up my slot to you, sounds like your timings are very tight + your already in Canada!!

all the best :)

Thanks - I should be ok assuming I can get my work permit renewed, if not then I could be in a very sticky situation!

I guess we've been put into the ultra slow pile :thumbdown:

G77 Jun 2nd 2010 1:22 am

Still waiting :rolleyes:

Kate_P Jun 2nd 2010 2:46 am

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 8606052)
Still waiting :rolleyes:

You must be soooo mad now G77, how flippin' annoying :frown: to put it very mildly....so stressful especially when you know it could be any day now and it never is. When did you last e-mail them?

joepublic Jun 2nd 2010 3:12 am

In the same 'hurry up and wait' boat

Still waiting.....

I sympathise with you my friend, we're still in the waiting game but for different reasons.

Had our meds done on 26 Jan only to receive a letter from CiC 2-months later saying that I needed follow up TB tests. I wouldn't have minded but they've taken 8-weeks (need to be cultured in lab), so that's another 2-months gone by. The results are due next Tuesday so I'm guessing they won't be in London until the middle of the month and won't be looked at until the end of June. By that time it'll have been 5-months since we had the original meds done. To make matters worse, you might have seen that our daughter has Asperger's too; we've no idea if CiC have even started looking at her yet? Imagine how long that delay could be (not to mention the 'Procedural Fairness' letter that could follow)!

There's a word which describes this waiting game and it begins with 'B' and ends in 'x'.

:angry_smile:

G77 Jun 3rd 2010 12:52 am

Re: In the same 'hurry up and wait' boat

Originally Posted by Kate_P (Post 8606232)
You must be soooo mad now G77, how flippin' annoying :frown: to put it very mildly....so stressful especially when you know it could be any day now and it never is. When did you last e-mail them?

Been about 3 weeks now - I'll probably give it another week and ask them again :o

Originally Posted by joepublic (Post 8606277)
I sympathise with you my friend, we're still in the waiting game but for different reasons.

Had our meds done on 26 Jan only to receive a letter from CiC 2-months later saying that I needed follow up TB tests. I wouldn't have minded but they've taken 8-weeks (need to be cultured in lab), so that's another 2-months gone by. The results are due next Tuesday so I'm guessing they won't be in London until the middle of the month and won't be looked at until the end of June. By that time it'll have been 5-months since we had the original meds done. To make matters worse, you might have seen that our daughter has Asperger's too; we've no idea if CiC have even started looking at her yet? Imagine how long that delay could be (not to mention the 'Procedural Fairness' letter that could follow)!

There's a word which describes this waiting game and it begins with 'B' and ends in 'x'.

:angry_smile:

It's so frustrating. I guess at least you have a reason for the delay, I have no idea why ours is taking so long. Guessing that ours has been flagged for a more thorough background check, but no idea why that might be.

Hopefully when the CAIPS notes eventually show up, that might give me more of a clue!

Clematis Jun 3rd 2010 6:27 am

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 8608736)
Been about 3 weeks now - I'll probably give it another week and ask them again :o

It's so frustrating. I guess at least you have a reason for the delay, I have no idea why ours is taking so long. Guessing that ours has been flagged for a more thorough background check, but no idea why that might be.

Hopefully when the CAIPS notes eventually show up, that might give me more of a clue!

Our CAIPS arrived earlier this week, and they didn't shed much light on anything, very hard to understand, you can get something on the internet that explains their abbreviations. As you know we did not need to understand our holdup as it was the whole me and TB thing... Plus as soon as I ordered CAIPS we had PPR.

I can only presume that for some reason it's your security checks?

Hang in there, how long until your WP expires?

G77 Jun 3rd 2010 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Clematis (Post 8609396)

Hang in there, how long until your WP expires?

Expires at the end of Aug, wait time is around 2 months at the moment, so I need to get the application in by the end of this month if I am to avoid implied status - which I'd prefer to do if possible.

Clematis Jun 4th 2010 12:31 am

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 8610058)
Expires at the end of Aug, wait time is around 2 months at the moment, so I need to get the application in by the end of this month if I am to avoid implied status - which I'd prefer to do if possible.

I would get your application in sooner rather than later, at least then you know it is being dealt with.

G77 Jun 4th 2010 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Clematis (Post 8611268)
I would get your application in sooner rather than later, at least then you know it is being dealt with.

Waiting for my employer to give me a supporting letter.... That's all I seem to do at the moment, wait for things :rolleyes:

G77 Jun 8th 2010 5:10 am

Put the application in for TWP renewal today....

Still nothing from CHC re PR - emailed them Sunday, no reply yet :thumbdown:

Clematis Jun 8th 2010 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 8611273)
Waiting for my employer to give me a supporting letter.... That's all I seem to do at the moment, wait for things :rolleyes:

I hate to tell you this but the waiting carries on, we are currently waiting for PR cards, oh and the countdown for Citizenship has started....

:fingerscrossed: for you.

G77 Jun 9th 2010 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Clematis (Post 8621653)

:fingerscrossed: for you.

Thanks, I'm trying to forget about it, but it's slowly driving me loopy - I find myself waking up in the night panicking about it :o

Clematis Jun 9th 2010 2:05 am

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 8621853)
Thanks, I'm trying to forget about it, but it's slowly driving me loopy - I find myself waking up in the night panicking about it :o

Do you need to panic? I'll shut up, we were panicking as well. Both us having thoughts about needing to sell the house and return to the UK. We almost started to regret buying a house, cars etc. It is the gamble that you take when you do these things whilst on a temporary work permit.

I think that we all forget that you can be rejected, until you seem to be waiting forever for PPR and then the reality sets in. I am sure that all will be fine, you have the implied status now, and PPR is around the corner.... :D

G77 Jun 9th 2010 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Clematis (Post 8621998)
Do you need to panic? I'll shut up, we were panicking as well. Both us having thoughts about needing to sell the house and return to the UK. We almost started to regret buying a house, cars etc. It is the gamble that you take when you do these things whilst on a temporary work permit.

I think that we all forget that you can be rejected, until you seem to be waiting forever for PPR and then the reality sets in. I am sure that all will be fine, you have the implied status now, and PPR is around the corner.... :D

Yes, those are the kind of thoughts going through my mind, fortunately we still have our house in the UK, so if it came to it, we could move back. It would definitely be a reverse culture shock though, we have become used to the lifestyle here.....

Hopefully CAIPS will come soon and I can relax a little if it looks positive...

G77 Jun 11th 2010 6:16 am

CAIPS arrived (see my other thread) - feel slightly better now knowing that the delay is due to a screw up on their behalf....

Hopefully should hear something soon now!

Coffeepot Jun 11th 2010 8:24 am

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 8627021)
CAIPS arrived (see my other thread) - feel slightly better now knowing that the delay is due to a screw up on their behalf....

Fantastic news G77:thumbsup:

Clematis Jun 11th 2010 8:38 am

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 8627021)

Good news! :fingerscrossed:

G77 Jun 11th 2010 12:32 pm

Thanks, at least there's an explanation now, why CHC couldn't tell me that.... Guess they don't like admitting to screwing up!