Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

post grad WP adding on my not so Common law partner

post grad WP adding on my not so Common law partner

Old Dec 31st 2013, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

carolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud of
Question post grad WP adding on my not so Common law partner

So I have just graduated from SAIT in Calgary, Canada and am sooooo happy for it to be over.
My Partner of 19 months now lives with me, he got an IEC visa, (Working holiday visa) and came over in June 2013 (7months soo far). I am just about to apply for my post graduate work permit and I am including him on it with me.
We have been together since May 2012, but obviously since we could only get him a visa from June 2013 onwards, we are not technically classed as common law.
We have all the evidence in the world to prove we have been together for over the year and have everything in both of our names since June 2013 but we are living with my parents so we have no big rent bills or mortgage in our joint names.
I read somewhere on the CIC website that as long as you can prove you have been in a bonafide conjunctual relationship for over a year and that there were powers forcing you to not be able to live together then that is acceptable.
I am just extremely worried that the application will be rejected even with all of this proof!!

Is there anyone out there who has been through the same thing or simular? or does anyone know exactly what I would need to send in as my proof??

anxiously waiting
Old Jan 1st 2014, 2:29 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: post grad WP adding on my not so Common law partner

Originally Posted by carolcanada
So I have just graduated from SAIT in Calgary, Canada and am sooooo happy for it to be over.
My Partner of 19 months now lives with me, he got an IEC visa, (Working holiday visa) and came over in June 2013 (7months soo far). I am just about to apply for my post graduate work permit and I am including him on it with me.
We have been together since May 2012, but obviously since we could only get him a visa from June 2013 onwards, we are not technically classed as common law.
We have all the evidence in the world to prove we have been together for over the year and have everything in both of our names since June 2013 but we are living with my parents so we have no big rent bills or mortgage in our joint names.
I read somewhere on the CIC website that as long as you can prove you have been in a bonafide conjunctual relationship for over a year and that there were powers forcing you to not be able to live together then that is acceptable.
I am just extremely worried that the application will be rejected even with all of this proof!!

Is there anyone out there who has been through the same thing or simular? or does anyone know exactly what I would need to send in as my proof??

anxiously waiting
You do not qualify for common-law status and will not until June 2014.

Any application you submit now based on common-law will be refused so there is no point in adding him to your PGWP.

You have to have lived together in a conjugal (marriage like) relationship for a minimum of 12 months to be counted as common law for applications through CIC. Had you physically lived together for 12 months prior to coming to Canada, and then had to take a short break before resuming cohabitation again then that would be counted, but you have already stated that you have not.

What you are referring to is where 2 people cannot live together due to persecution or penal control. A reason for not being able to live together would be, for example, where divorce or homosexuality is not legal.

Not living together because your partner was living overseas is not a valid reason. Either of you could have visited your respective countries and lived together.

For a full explanation of this, please read http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op02-eng.pdf section 5:44 and 5:45

I would suggest your partner apply for another IEC working holiday visa (the last round should be coming up in a few days) or else see if they can find a company willing to go through the LMO process to enable him to obtain a TWP or one that would be willing to nominate him for PNP. The other option would be to change to visitor status when his IEC expires in May.

Sorry I wasn't able to give you the information you hoped to hear.

Best of luck