Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Possible to get a BUNAC visa while waiting for PR?

Possible to get a BUNAC visa while waiting for PR?

Old Sep 7th 2009, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

eineauslander is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Possible to get a BUNAC visa while waiting for PR?

Hello chaps and chapettes,

Anyone know what the implications are of taking up a BUNAC visa (I'm def eligible) while I wait for my medical request / final PR document???

I Applied Feb 2007, sent docs May 2009 and was hopeful of finally getting my hands on the PR by the end of the year...but still waiting on medical request...

just read another thread on here where 6mths after medicals - PR still hasn't been issued!!! Slightly worrying!

If I get a BUNAC visa is this going to complicate getting my hands on the PR? Hopefully I will have completed the med before taking the BUNAC visa up and no worries heading back to the UK to pick up the PR - but will the London Embassy have any issues with me taking the BUNAC???

Cheers v.much!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Rodge9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible to get a BUNAC visa while waiting for PR?

Can't comment on the PR stuff but concerning BUNAC Visas I'd say a couple of things:

a) You say you're hoping to get your PR by the end of the year, so presumably if you got a BUNAC visa you'd been doing it ASAP? I've been told by a friend of mine that they're out of WHP Visas for this year, so you'd need to wait until December to apply, February to get in, and;

b) (Possibly playing the guilt guard but...) is it fair that, even if you are eligible, you take a BUNAC Visa when you're waiting on a PR anyway, thus taking it away from someone else? Of course if you're eligible and you get in first I suppose it's fair enough...that or there may a regulation that prevents you doing this in any case, that someone better-qualified to comment than me knows about.

Good luck finalising the PR of course
Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi Rodge9,

a) yep - you're right that they're out of BUNAC visas for 2009... I would be taking up a 2010 one - thinking being that it could still be over a year (worst case scenario) before my PR comes through...

b) Yes, I am very greedy! I've already had a BUNAC student visa a few years ago too! what's more, I think I could get another Bunac student visa for 2010 followed by a non-student BUNAC visa for 2011...

But would it conflict with my PR application??? Anyone else ever got a BUNAC while waiting on PR??
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future

Yes it is possible. We applied for BUNAC while applying for PR. Just make sure you state on BUNAC forms that you are applying for PR as well. They asked us at immigration when we arrived to confirm we were applying for PR. Just say that you know you have to leave the country at end of BUNAC visa if PR not granted in time.

If you need a medical for BUNAC (working in healthcare and education), they might use the same visa for PR. They did for me.

Good luck with it all

Lucy
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:47 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucycrow
Yes it is possible. We applied for BUNAC while applying for PR. Just make sure you state on BUNAC forms that you are applying for PR as well. They asked us at immigration when we arrived to confirm we were applying for PR. Just say that you know you have to leave the country at end of BUNAC visa if PR not granted in time.

If you need a medical for BUNAC (working in healthcare and education), they might use the same visa for PR. They did for me.

Good luck with it all

Lucy
Lucy's correct - although it depends on what PR application you have. If you're going down the common law sponsorship route they won't grant you a BUNAC visa. Otherwise you're all good
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by eineauslander
Hi Rodge9,

a) yep - you're right that they're out of BUNAC visas for 2009... I would be taking up a 2010 one - thinking being that it could still be over a year (worst case scenario) before my PR comes through...

b) Yes, I am very greedy! I've already had a BUNAC student visa a few years ago too! what's more, I think I could get another Bunac student visa for 2010 followed by a non-student BUNAC visa for 2011...

But would it conflict with my PR application??? Anyone else ever got a BUNAC while waiting on PR??
He he, don't know if I'll be any better - I'll be applying for another BUNAC Visa in December that I aim to take after the one I'll be activating in January...though if I get a TWP next year I'll give it up of course...we'll see!

Incidentally if you qualify for a student BUNAC Visa and have a PR app already underway, do you mind if I ask how old you are, what line of work you're in & what route you're going for PR under (excuse nosiness!)?
Old Sep 10th 2009, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the info Lucy/Rob/Rodge!

Looks as though I'll be getting a BUNAC visa then if my PR hasn't come through by the turn of the year...

Rodge - noseyness excused - Skilled worker PR (old system), late 20s, spatial/urban planner. take it you are currently on a student visa?
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

goodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant future

Hi Rodge9,

i don't think you can have a bunac two years in a row. i think you have to have a years gap in between if you had a student one and then try for the non student one. at least it was when i tried!!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by goodpikey
i don't think you can have a bunac two years in a row. i think you have to have a years gap in between if you had a student one and then try for the non student one. at least it was when i tried!!
I think you can now. They've got rid of both the need to spend a year between Visas, and the requirement to be in the UK to submit your application. Put together I, and certain others, would take that to mean you can take two BUNACs back-to-back, obviously after leaving Canada and returning with your new Visa authorisation, since obviously you need to enter Canada to activate the Visa, as with other Visas.

Rodge - noseyness excused - Skilled worker PR (old system), late 20s, spatial/urban planner. take it you are currently on a student visa?
Well, haven't activated it yet - basically leaving it a long as possible (January) before doing that - but I will be on another Student one yeah, since fortunately another rule change (although it's just back to how it was a few years ago so I've heard) means I can get another Student Visa having had one three years ago, and having applied for it less than a year after graduation (yet another rule change). BUNAC have indicated I'll be able to apply for a non-student one too, although covered their ass by saying 'the CHC retain the right to grant a Visa to whoever...etc'. As I've suggested above I might not need it anyway but to have it confirmed that I'll be able to take 2 consecutively would be a big bonus.

So did you do a Master's in the past year or something then, if you qualify as a student?
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

yep finished a Masters in the past year - thanks to the rule change I should be able to get another student visa...otherwise will just get the non student one...

or maybe there will be a miracle and my PR might come through by the turn of the year.

Originally Posted by Rodge9
I think you can now. They've got rid of both the need to spend a year between Visas, and the requirement to be in the UK to submit your application. Put together I, and certain others, would take that to mean you can take two BUNACs back-to-back, obviously after leaving Canada and returning with your new Visa authorisation, since obviously you need to enter Canada to activate the Visa, as with other Visas.

Well, haven't activated it yet - basically leaving it a long as possible (January) before doing that - but I will be on another Student one yeah, since fortunately another rule change (although it's just back to how it was a few years ago so I've heard) means I can get another Student Visa having had one three years ago, and having applied for it less than a year after graduation (yet another rule change). BUNAC have indicated I'll be able to apply for a non-student one too, although covered their ass by saying 'the CHC retain the right to grant a Visa to whoever...etc'. As I've suggested above I might not need it anyway but to have it confirmed that I'll be able to take 2 consecutively would be a big bonus.

So did you do a Master's in the past year or something then, if you qualify as a student?