police report and return ticket

Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default police report and return ticket

hello *S* i am leaving australia in 6 weeks to marry a BC resident.
Is it best i have my police report done now and if so where do i get it sent to?
also i am purchasing a ticket which has a return date in April (is an airline special very cheap) will this matter? can i ask for a 6 mths visitors thingy at vancouver customs when i tell them i am there to marry,even tho my return ticket says 2 mths?
we will be marrying within a few weeks of my arrival and startign the process asap for sponsorship *S*
Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:31 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: police report and return ticket

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
hello *S* i am leaving australia in 6 weeks to marry a BC resident.
Is it best i have my police report done now and if so where do i get it sent to?
also i am purchasing a ticket which has a return date in April (is an airline special very cheap) will this matter? can i ask for a 6 mths visitors thingy at vancouver customs when i tell them i am there to marry,even tho my return ticket says 2 mths?
we will be marrying within a few weeks of my arrival and startign the process asap for sponsorship *S*
It is probably most convenient for you to get your Aussie PC and bring it with you for inclusion in your application from within Canada if that is how you plan to apply for PR.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
It is probably most convenient for you to get your Aussie PC and bring it with you for inclusion in your application from within Canada if that is how you plan to apply for PR.
thanks Jim. i will start that process tomorrow.
also i understand now that i can apply for an extension before my valid visitors waiver expires. i only pray all goes well when i arrive. i will be a nervous wreck.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 10:01 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

also i understand now that i can apply for an extension before my valid visitors waiver expires. i only pray all goes well when i arrive. i will be a nervous wreck.
You will have to apply for an extension. Do not let your status run out!
Old Jan 4th 2005, 10:05 pm
Happy Canadian PR

ozinca will become famous soon enoughozinca will become famous soon enough

Yes, you apply for an extension to your visitor visa about 6 weeks before it expires. As long as you can prove that you have a family class PR application in progress at the time (you will have a file number etc by then), then you should have no problem at all getting the extension. That is what I did and CIC actually gave me a 12 month extension which was nice of them.

It is a good idea to get the Aussie police check before you come to Canada (saves time later on) and you get info from the Australian Federal Police web site.

Try not to worry too much, although speaking from experience, this process will give you a few sleepless nights.

Ozinca
Old Jan 4th 2005, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozinca
Yes, you apply for an extension to your visitor visa about 6 weeks before it expires. As long as you can prove that you have a family class PR application in progress at the time (you will have a file number etc by then), then you should have no problem at all getting the extension. That is what I did and CIC actually gave me a 12 month extension which was nice of them.

It is a good idea to get the Aussie police check before you come to Canada (saves time later on) and you get info from the Australian Federal Police web site.

Try not to worry too much, although speaking from experience, this process will give you a few sleepless nights.

Ozinca
well that is what i was thinking. and my concern then becomes if they do not give me the 6 months when i arrive. and only give me two as it says on my return ticket. then how do i apply for an extension.? 6weeks before it runs out only gives me 2 weeks to marry and start the application!

i need a headache pill.

thanks for your vote of confidence~
Old Jan 4th 2005, 10:52 pm
Happy Canadian PR

ozinca will become famous soon enoughozinca will become famous soon enough

well that is what i was thinking. and my concern then becomes if they do not give me the 6 months when i arrive. and only give me two as it says on my return ticket. then how do i apply for an extension.? 6weeks before it runs out only gives me 2 weeks to marry and start the application!

i need a headache pill.

thanks for your vote of confidence~
The best solution to this is to get a 6 month return ticket. I know these tickets do cost more, but some of the Asian airlines like Cathay Pacific have a 12 month validity (you can only book a maximum stay of 6 months anyway for the visa waiver program) and can be very cost effective, maybe not as cheap as the 2 month one you are intending to pay for but maybe better in the long run.

What city in Oz are you flying from?

Ozinca
Old Jan 4th 2005, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozinca
The best solution to this is to get a 6 month return ticket. I know these tickets do cost more, but some of the Asian airlines like Cathay Pacific have a 12 month validity (you can only book a maximum stay of 6 months anyway for the visa waiver program) and can be very cost effective, maybe not as cheap as the 2 month one you are intending to pay for but maybe better in the long run.

What city in Oz are you flying from?

Ozinca
i will be flying out of Sydney.

My concerns are :
the last time i visited Canda for a one month stay i was grilled like there is no tomorrow. It took me over 2 hrs to get out of the international area.
Firstly the customs guy grilled me
why are you here
how long for etc etc
i stated repeatedly i was there to visit with my b/f and his 2 children for a month.
He conitualy asked me work related questions etc to which i replied politely i was there not for work but for a holiday.
Then as i am about to leave the guy at the gate tells me i have to go to immigration !
The customs guy had me marked as being there for *business* purposes even tho i repeatedly told him i wasn't!
so i wait inthe immigration line for near an hour and then they discover the custom guys error and i am free to go. Then >>> security pulls me aside..and once again i am questioned as to every detail.> why did you pay cash for your ticket...what date did you last work ..how come you only have X amount of dollars on you???? etc etc ....then my belongings were searched which didn't bother me. However i have not heard of anyone else from australia treated this way. and indeed some people do not even believe me.
this has left me frazzled and worried about returning there. All these confusing information....tell them you are there to marry or you can't apply for inland PR....don't tell them...for if you do they won't let you in....etc etc.........i am concerned that if i get a 6mth ticket...they will question my money situation...i will be going with about 4.500$ cash..which is to help with the application fees etc.......will they think that is enough for a 6mth stay?

thanks for your help
Old Jan 4th 2005, 11:09 pm

i will be flying out of Sydney.

My concerns are :
the last time i visited Canda for a one month stay i was grilled like there is no tomorrow. It took me over 2 hrs to get out of the international area.
Firstly the customs guy grilled me
why are you here
how long for etc etc
i stated repeatedly i was there to visit with my b/f and his 2 children for a month.
He conitualy asked me work related questions etc to which i replied politely i was there not for work but for a holiday.
Then as i am about to leave the guy at the gate tells me i have to go to immigration !
The customs guy had me marked as being there for *business* purposes even tho i repeatedly told him i wasn't!
so i wait inthe immigration line for near an hour and then they discover the custom guys error and i am free to go. Then >>> security pulls me aside..and once again i am questioned as to every detail.> why did you pay cash for your ticket...what date did you last work ..how come you only have X amount of dollars on you???? etc etc ....then my belongings were searched which didn't bother me. However i have not heard of anyone else from australia treated this way. and indeed some people do not even believe me.
this has left me frazzled and worried about returning there. All these confusing information....tell them you are there to marry or you can't apply for inland PR....don't tell them...for if you do they won't let you in....etc etc.........i am concerned that if i get a 6mth ticket...they will question my money situation...i will be going with about 4.500$ cash..which is to help with the application fees etc.......will they think that is enough for a 6mth stay?

thanks for your help

If you are coming to get married and apply as an Inland Spouse then tell them that is what you are doing. They should have no reason to stop you although you will be questioned of course and honesty is the best policy.