Police check question...

Old Oct 4th 2008, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

The Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura about
Default Police check question...

Hi,

Quick question please if anyone has any advice...

I realise the skilled worker backlog is extensive and it's pretty hopeless applying at the moment but I'm still as well to plod on, add mine ot the pile as I've virtually all relevant documentation gathered up.

Only question is this...on the skilled worker checklist from the CIC website under the police checks info it says 'you must provide a letter requesting your ''Prosecution/Conviction History under section 21 of the data protection act 1984'' Do not request a police certificate. The local police in the UK have application forms (3019A) and details on how to apply and pay the processing fee'

Now, I've lived in both Scotland and Northern Ireland, I've phoned both police force's, they did or would not provide the above letter, on phoning the PSNI they told me to contact ACRO, who in turn directed me towards a police certificate application, and on this form it states at the top of the application form 'these notes apply to those applicants wishing to obtain an immigration visa for Australia, Canada, New Zeland or the USA'. As a result I will actually will get a police cert, which is what the CIC checklist tell me not to get.

Can anyone clarify this situation?

Cheers very much!
Old Oct 4th 2008, 1:01 pm
dre
Forum Regular

dre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police check question...

Hi,

You need to request the subject access form, if you go to the website of the force you require your criminal records check from and search under subject access you should find the forms to make the request, this is diffent than the Police certificate offered by ACPO, hope this helps
Old Oct 6th 2008, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

websheep is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm really confused. I thought we were supposed to get the ACPO now?
Old Oct 6th 2008, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Either or for now, current instructions here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ed-kingdom.asp

The old "do not request a police certificate" was semantics because UK forces didn't issue a certificate as such, just a "we couldn't find any record" or "we found this record" type thing.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

websheep is an unknown quantity at this point

ahh thanks! 35 pounds is a lot - I might go with the 10 pound option!
Old Oct 6th 2008, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by websheep
ahh thanks! 35 pounds is a lot - I might go with the 10 pound option!

I think it's a rip off too! I had to basically beg my local police station to get the access form! so much easier to you dont need to pay for photos or get people to verify ect! Valid on till 31/12/08 if i remember correctly.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 9:45 pm
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Lost Paddy
Hi,

Quick question please if anyone has any advice...

I realise the skilled worker backlog is extensive and it's pretty hopeless applying at the moment but I'm still as well to plod on, add mine ot the pile as I've virtually all relevant documentation gathered up.

Only question is this...on the skilled worker checklist from the CIC website under the police checks info it says 'you must provide a letter requesting your ''Prosecution/Conviction History under section 21 of the data protection act 1984'' Do not request a police certificate. The local police in the UK have application forms (3019A) and details on how to apply and pay the processing fee'

Now, I've lived in both Scotland and Northern Ireland, I've phoned both police force's, they did or would not provide the above letter, on phoning the PSNI they told me to contact ACRO, who in turn directed me towards a police certificate application, and on this form it states at the top of the application form 'these notes apply to those applicants wishing to obtain an immigration visa for Australia, Canada, New Zeland or the USA'. As a result I will actually will get a police cert, which is what the CIC checklist tell me not to get.

Can anyone clarify this situation?

Cheers very much!
Great another useless process to collect more data on you and rip the consumer off.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

The Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Either or for now, current instructions here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ed-kingdom.asp

The old "do not request a police certificate" was semantics because UK forces didn't issue a certificate as such, just a "we couldn't find any record" or "we found this record" type thing.
Brilliant! Ta very much, that clears up a big confusion for me thanks! Only other question, I'm told these police certs only have a 'shelf life' or are only relevant for 6 months, if I get one in the next couple of weeks and I'm just sitting on a big pile that may take years to process will they look for me to get another one at a later date?

Cheers!