Police Check Query

Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Graham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant future
Default Police Check Query

There seems to be conflicting information regarding the time period required for a Police Check. Both these quotes comes from the CIC Web site. Can anyone tell me if I will need a police check from my days as an expatriate teacher in Uganda 1969-73 ( at the time of Idi Amin !! )

Quote 1:

" Canada Immigration requires that applicants for permanent residence and their family members obtain
original police certificates for any countries where they have lived for six months or longer in the past
10 years.
(Certificates are only required for countries where a person was 18 years of age or older when
he or she lived there.) In order to apply for certificates, an original set of fingerprints is required for each
certificate being requested"

Quote 2:

In general, you and everyone in your family who is 18 years of age or over need to obtain a police certificate. You must obtain a police certificate from each country or territory where you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18. "

I would obviously prefer not to have to request a check from Uganda if it is not necessary ( I hasten to add I have nothing to hide !! )
Can anyone clarify the situation please ?
Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:29 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Check Query

Hi

Originally Posted by Graham-H
There seems to be conflicting information regarding the time period required for a Police Check. Both these quotes comes from the CIC Web site. Can anyone tell me if I will need a police check from my days as an expatriate teacher in Uganda 1969-73 ( at the time of Idi Amin !! )

Quote 1:

" Canada Immigration requires that applicants for permanent residence and their family members obtain
original police certificates for any countries where they have lived for six months or longer in the past
10 years.
(Certificates are only required for countries where a person was 18 years of age or older when
he or she lived there.) In order to apply for certificates, an original set of fingerprints is required for each
certificate being requested"

Quote 2:

In general, you and everyone in your family who is 18 years of age or over need to obtain a police certificate. You must obtain a police certificate from each country or territory where you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18. "

I would obviously prefer not to have to request a check from Uganda if it is not necessary ( I hasten to add I have nothing to hide !! )
Can anyone clarify the situation please ?
You don't have a choice, the instructions for skilled workers, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/EG7.pdf page 22 state "since the age of 18" , the information on how to obtain a police certificate

Who needs a police certificate?

In general, you and everyone in your family who is 18 years of age or over need to obtain a police certificate. You must obtain a police certificate from each country or territory where you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cert/intro.asp
Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Graham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant future

so why the conflicting information I wonder ??

By the way - I am applying for PR via the Family Sponsorship ( Common Law Partner ) route and as I am retired I will not be requiring a work permit of any kind. Not sure if this will make any difference !!
Old Mar 19th 2009, 7:52 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Graham-H
so why the conflicting information I wonder ??

By the way - I am applying for PR via the Family Sponsorship ( Common Law Partner ) route and as I am retired I will not be requiring a work permit of any kind. Not sure if this will make any difference !!
No difference, you require the PCCS.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

So, if I grew up in Germany and lived there for 18 years, but moved out of Germany 4 months after turning 18 I would not need the PCC from Germany because it hasn't been 6 months since my 18th birthday?
Old Mar 20th 2009, 1:40 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Nice try but I am certain that they would expect a PC from Germany too. It is best to err, if that is what it is, on the safe side and get one.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Nice try but I am certain that they would expect a PC from Germany too. It is best to err, if that is what it is, on the safe side and get one.
Damn

Guess I better get one then :S Thank you for the advice!