police check

Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:09 am
Just Joined

clayton336336 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default police check

hi guys, hope you can help me on this one.....
when i sent in my PR application, i didn't include a english criminal record check. as the forms i was using told me to what until i was contacted.
but then after i sent it in i found a newer form on the net ( i guess!) that stated that i should have included my english record check. so basically will they refuse my application as i haven't include the record check??
oh i'm being sponsored by my partner in the family class if that makes any difference.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:07 am
Lily

Yalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant future
Default Re: police check

They will ask you for it later... the only thing is that you could have saved some time by sending it before...
Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

thank you.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you should have sent it. Sometimes people get confused and read skilled worker instructions, but the family class sponsor instructions are clear about police checks being sent at the time of application.

Don't wait until you're asked, get the ball rolling and get them arranged now
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

i actually have a record check thats just a month or so old. so as soon as they ask for it, i can send it off.
i really dont know how i could have got it so mixed up! i remember going through the forms, and it said not to send in the criminal record check for the uk until i'm ask to do so. i download the forms from CIC site.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clayton336336
i actually have a record check thats just a month or so old. so as soon as they ask for it, i can send it off.
i really dont know how i could have got it so mixed up! i remember going through the forms, and it said not to send in the criminal record check for the uk until i'm ask to do so. i download the forms from CIC site.
Sounds like you read the wrong one. You did do your medical upfront though, didn't you?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

websheep is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: police check

That's weird. Check out this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...es/5289E13.asp

Applying for permanent residence from within Canada: Spouse or common-law partner in Canada class (IMM 5289)

For the following countries, police certificates should not be obtained before applying for immigration. You may receive special instructions at a later date about police certificates for these countries.
United Kingdom is on that list. I just sent a similar app without the UK Police Clearance. Can anyone advise me how to apply for one? I'm confused if I should get the online or written one.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by websheep
That's weird. Check out this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...es/5289E13.asp

United Kingdom is on that list. I just sent a similar app without the UK Police Clearance. Can anyone advise me how to apply for one? I'm confused if I should get the online or written one.
If you look at this link - (for spouses/partners outside Canada) - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp - you'll see Part C, region-specific info. If you follow that link for "Western Europe" it goes to this - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3901e.pdf - you'll see that police certificate is listed on the "document checklist", i.e. should have been obtained and sent with the application.

Instructions on how to get one are there, but also read the sticky at the top of this forum, there are 2 kinds of clearance available at the moment and only 1 has a proven acceptance history. Confusing isn't the word
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

websheep is an unknown quantity at this point

Aha, thanks for the link. Looks like I'm OK (for now) because I'm a spouse currently in Canada.

Gosh, they don't make it easy huh...
Old Mar 27th 2008, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Sounds like you read the wrong one. You did do your medical upfront though, didn't you?
yeah did medical upfront, just messed up on the criminal record check.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 2:45 am
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Confusing isn't the word
To boil down the thread to its simplest: ignore what ACPO says, write to your local police force (of your last UK address) and ask them to check.

Last edited by edsask; Mar 28th 2008 at 2:46 am. Reason: clarity
Old Mar 28th 2008, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I've just downloaded the forms for my police check (old style) and on them they specifically say not to use the form if it is for Australia, New Zealand, United States or Canada.

They then direct you to the ACPO site instead.

It's bloody frustrating as I know they could bounce my request for the old style subject access, but if I go ACPO, CIC could bounce it.

It's coming to something when getting my FBI check done involves jumping through less hoops
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
know they could bounce my request for the old style subject access
They're not allowed to, everyone is entitled to a subject access check. Don't tell them it's for immigration, tell them it's for your own personal information or something.

Anyone else had an ACPO check accepted in the interim? Or anyone got word from CIC on a procedure change?
Old Mar 28th 2008, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I am just trying to look into whether I actually need to get new police checks done. Last year while we getting our LMO done I applied for police checks but I thought they were only good for three months.

They were issued on the 24th of May 2007 and we have not been back to the UK since then so I am wondering if they will be acceptable as someone suggested in another thread.

Anyone any idea if that is right?

I did ring ACRO a few minutes ago, and could not get any straight answer from them, they had clearly been coached on how to avoid giving a straight answer concerning these certificates being acceptable to CIC.

She repeated over and over, "thousands of people get our certificates" and "I do know they will be the only certificate they will accept soon" and "I would get one of these if I were you."

But each time I asked had they had specific guidance from CIC that these were acceptable, I got another round of the same answers, avoidance at it's best.

I am hoping the old certificates will work and if not I'll apply for the old ones, include a letter stating that I have a right to the info and hope that works out.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:26 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

Seems that ACPO isn't willing to admit that there's a competitor for police checks, or that the competitor is guaranteed to be accepted. Which makes it frustrating and potentially confusing for poor old CIC applicants …