British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Police Certificate HARD to obtain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/police-certificate-hard-obtain-780879/)

staceyhall71 Dec 17th 2012 3:25 am

Police Certificate HARD to obtain

Hello guys. I am applying for an IEC visa for 2013 and i am finding it hard to obtain my police certificate from AFGHANISTAN. I have worked here since AUG 2011 but not consecutively. I work 9 weeks on 3 week home (UK) i have contacted the Afghanistan embassy in London asking them for help with regards to obtaining a cert and they dont reply!! i have been waiting a good few months. Is there any way i can get round this????
I know on CIC website it says to contact the embassy but thats is what i have done with no luck! any1 else had any issues???
:confused:

AdrianR Dec 17th 2012 4:26 am

Re: Police Certificate HARD to obtain

Some countries are difficult - I think the best you can do is write to CIC, explaining the steps you have taken, where that advice came from, and what evidence you have to show the Afghanis lack of response.

Siouxie Dec 17th 2012 5:34 am

As you are in Afghanistan for 9 weeks at a time (presuming you are still working there) couldn't you apply to the Ministry of Interior rather than the Embassy?

"... If you live in Afghanistan

Apply at the nearest office of the Ministry of the Interior by sending a letter of explanation indicating why you are requesting a police certificate. There is no specific form to be completed. The Ministry of the Interior will issue you the police clearance document.... "

staceyhall71 Dec 23rd 2012 9:38 am

Originally Posted by siouxie (Post 10438095)
As you are in Afghanistan for 9 weeks at a time (presuming you are still working there) couldn't you apply to the Ministry of Interior rather than the Embassy?

"... If you live in Afghanistan

Apply at the nearest office of the Ministry of the Interior by sending a letter of explanation indicating why you are requesting a police certificate. There is no specific form to be completed. The Ministry of the Interior will issue you the police clearance document.... "

Hi guys thanks for the info, i have applied to ministry of interior with no luck. The only thing is, i am not allowed off any army base while working in Afghanistan so cant really travel around. My work is directly on the base. Do you think if i send them my work contract and explain i work with the US and British army and if i was involved in any criminal activity i would be removed from the country? would help my case???

james.mc Dec 23rd 2012 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by staceyhall71 (Post 10448304)
Hi guys thanks for the info, i have applied to ministry of interior with no luck. The only thing is, i am not allowed off any army base while working in Afghanistan so cant really travel around. My work is directly on the base. Do you think if i send them my work contract and explain i work with the US and British army and if i was involved in any criminal activity i would be removed from the country? would help my case???

You could explain all this to your commanding officer and have them write a letter explaining why you cannot obtain a Police clearance certificate. Explain to CIC the reasons and include the letter from your CO.

AmyDavid Dec 27th 2012 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by staceyhall71 (Post 10437902)
Hello guys. I am applying for an IEC visa for 2013 and i am finding it hard to obtain my police certificate from AFGHANISTAN. I have worked here since AUG 2011 but not consecutively. I work 9 weeks on 3 week home (UK) i have contacted the Afghanistan embassy in London asking them for help with regards to obtaining a cert and they dont reply!! i have been waiting a good few months. Is there any way i can get round this????
I know on CIC website it says to contact the embassy but thats is what i have done with no luck! any1 else had any issues???
:confused:

If you havent lived their consecutively for 6 months or more you dont need to provide a police cert but you must show the periods of going back and forth on your application - ie Jan 2012 - feb 2012 Afghanistan, Feb 2012 - Mar 2012 UK, Apr 2012 - May 2012 Afghanistan etc to explain why you do not need to provide one

Ailsa n Dave Dec 28th 2012 11:49 pm

Just curious... But would a UK Army base not be classed as UK soil and therefore covered by a UK police cert?

Do you have to go through passport control when you get there and get admitted into the country? ie: would the Afgan embassy even know you were there?

james.mc Dec 29th 2012 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Ailsa n Dave (Post 10454150)
Just curious... But would a UK Army base not be classed as UK soil and therefore covered by a UK police cert?

Do you have to go through passport control when you get there and get admitted into the country? ie: would the Afgan embassy even know you were there?

A UK overseas army base is not classed as UK soil and would not be covered by a UK police cert. I was in the Royal Engineers, based in Germany for years. I needed a German Police Clearance cert for the purposes of my FSW application.

staceyhall71 Feb 1st 2013 4:51 am

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 10452846)
If you havent lived their consecutively for 6 months or more you dont need to provide a police cert but you must show the periods of going back and forth on your application - ie Jan 2012 - feb 2012 Afghanistan, Feb 2012 - Mar 2012 UK, Apr 2012 - May 2012 Afghanistan etc to explain why you do not need to provide one

Yes that what i was thinking but i have been in and out of the country for 18 months now. I dont go through passport control in Afghanistan as i am flew directly onto an army base. So no the afghan embassy probably would know im there. Im just thinking as i dont work there consecutively it should be that i dont need one.
Its terribly hard trying to obtain one through the embassy and ministry of interior as they dont reply!!

Former Lancastrian Feb 1st 2013 4:57 am

Originally Posted by staceyhall71 (Post 10519492)
Yes that what i was thinking but i have been in and out of the country for 18 months now. I dont go through passport control in Afghanistan as i am flew directly onto an army base. So no the afghan embassy probably would know im there. Im just thinking as i dont work there consecutively it should be that i dont need one.
Its terribly hard trying to obtain one through the embassy and ministry of interior as they dont reply!!

Like I said on the IEC forum either try to get one via the 2 x addresses I gave or write a grovelling letter to CIC with your application as to why you cannot get one and give them details like you mention above.

tomTO Feb 1st 2013 6:12 am

Are you a civilian contractor? I was deployed on Herrick 13, and didn't have to get an Afghan police certificate...maybe it's because we were training them, haha (jk).

staceyhall71 Feb 1st 2013 9:21 am

Originally Posted by tomTO (Post 10519663)
Are you a civilian contractor? I was deployed on Herrick 13, and didn't have to get an Afghan police certificate...maybe it's because we were training them, haha (jk).

Yes, im an electrical contractor on a british base. I hear ya! :eek:

tomTO Feb 1st 2013 9:28 am

Originally Posted by staceyhall71 (Post 10519917)
Yes, im an electrical contractor on a british base. I hear ya! :eek:

Yeah, I'd obviously ask when the time came round, but honestly, I seriously doubt you'd need one. I'm assuming you're in B*****n, so I doubt you'd have had much interaction with the local population at all.

Edited for spelling*