Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Points! Would anyone mind checking this please?

Points! Would anyone mind checking this please?

Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:19 pm
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Points! Would anyone mind checking this please?

It looks like we are not going to be able to claim our 5 points for family, so i'm now having a panic about if we have worked our points out right.

I get us to 70/71, 20 Education, 16 Language, 21 Experience, 10 Age and 3/4 for adaptability.

As always its the education thats the sticking point. Hubbie has 12 years school as normal and then 4 years day release City and Guilds level 2 and 3 whilst he did his apprentership. Hes the main applicant. So I make that 20 points but am I right?

Everything else I know is right, then theres the Adaptability I have usual 12 years education then a day realise BTEC National and a NVQ Level 2, both 2 years.

Anyone any opinions about if i've worked it out right? Thanks
Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Points! Would anyone mind checking this please?

Originally Posted by Falcore
It looks like we are not going to be able to claim our 5 points for family, so i'm now having a panic about if we have worked our points out right.

I get us to 70/71, 20 Education, 16 Language, 21 Experience, 10 Age and 3/4 for adaptability.

As always its the education thats the sticking point. Hubbie has 12 years school as normal and then 4 years day release City and Guilds level 2 and 3 whilst he did his apprentership. Hes the main applicant. So I make that 20 points but am I right?

Everything else I know is right, then theres the Adaptability I have usual 12 years education then a day realise BTEC National and a NVQ Level 2, both 2 years.

Out of interest, why can you no longer claim points for family?

Your hubby's education points sound right, assuming the apprenticeship was at least 2 years and full-time. And I'd say you would get 4 points for your education, again assuming that the courses you said were 2 years were full-time.

Hope that helps.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:50 pm
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help CO

Our Auntie has sent her PR card off for renewal and it looks like it wont come back in time for us to submit docs. We are still going to try and claim but wont be able to provide all the proof they ask for! So are just being a little cautious really dont want to have waited this long and then get knocked back!

Hubbie did a 4 year apprentership 1 day a week at college. And mine were both 1 day a week over 2 years so wasnt 100% sure how to point that
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Falcore
You may find this thread of interest in regard to 12yrs of schooling:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=642181&page=2

hope its of help
regards
Joinerboy
Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

I think you are right when you say it could be a sticking point. This is going to have to be well documented to achieve the 20 points.

See these threads for experiences:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585382
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631056
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627521
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=618701
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your help CO

Our Auntie has sent her PR card off for renewal and it looks like it wont come back in time for us to submit docs. We are still going to try and claim but wont be able to provide all the proof they ask for! So are just being a little cautious really dont want to have waited this long and then get knocked back!

Hubbie did a 4 year apprentership 1 day a week at college. And mine were both 1 day a week over 2 years so wasnt 100% sure how to point that
Did you know that you can send in further information after submitting all your documents? I just read in one of the operational bulletins yesterday on the cic homepage that officers are supposed to assess cases including information that has been submitted after the 120 days cut off date.

The example they were talking about was language skills and giving points for that. So if you submit a moderate score first and later you submit results with a higher score (as you have improved your english/french in the meantime) the officer is going to select the higher scores.

Of course it's a little gambling with time as you never know how soon the officer is going to assess your case after the 120 day cut off. But it would be worth a try to submit your aunties PR card (a copy of course ... ) afterwards and point out that this has been missing so far due to the processing times in Canada ...blablabla... just explain why you couldnt send it in with the other docs and the officer might consider the family points!
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:18 am
Living life again!!!!!!!

Thanks so much everyone for the replies

We are going to well document his education have a very well written letter from his employer and hopefully the college are going to do us one too. He also did gas courses during his apprentership so will be submiting those too.

We are still going to try and claim the family points send in some property docs copy of health card tax returns etc and a letter explaining why no PR card. I wouldn't mind shes been there 60 years but isn't a citizen!

Anyway thanks again and I guess all we can do is hope
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
The education is not just about the years in education but also about the level of attainment. So you may want to read our recent Federal Court case.
http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/200...2009fc975.html

It is a lengthy document but if you scroll through to the analysis it should, I am hoping put your mind at ease.

In a nutshell, what they have said is that where there is any doubt over the years in education, they should look to the level of attainment as you could not have got to the higher level without the required basic education. It also goes on to say that if a spouse could have submitted an application in their own right (ie had enough points themselves) then they should be worth more adaptability points. for example I gave myself as spouse 2 points.....but I could have applied in my own right.....and therefore they said I should have been worth 4 points.....this can make all the difference if you are scratching about for a couple more points.

Apprenticeships and Trade Certificates are classed as a post secondary credentials.
Hope this helps
lol
Stef

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I think you should be okay. Study is classed as full time or full time equivalent...Apprenticeships are classed as full time equivalent study and most of that is on the job, which is normal......I would claim for the years and apprenticeship level
lol
Stef

Thanks for your help CO