Wikiposts

points question

Old Jul 22nd 2010, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Boris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond repute
Default points question

Hi

I understand that for arranged employment you get 10 points.

If you then start work in Canada (via the LMO/TWP route initially, to apply for the PR once you get there) do you get any extra points (on top of the 10 above) for just starting work, or do you need to wait for a specific period of time to get some extra points for integration etc?

I have a feeling that you get some more points once you've worked there for a year - or do you just get the 10 points once and that is that?

I have got myself a bit confused on this issue. We should have enough points anyway (just) but I am wondering whether to wait a while in order to boost the total.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: points question

Originally Posted by Boris-canadabound
Hi

I understand that for arranged employment you get 10 points.

If you then start work in Canada (via the LMO/TWP route initially, to apply for the PR once you get there) do you get any extra points (on top of the 10 above) for just starting work, or do you need to wait for a specific period of time to get some extra points for integration etc?

I have a feeling that you get some more points once you've worked there for a year - or do you just get the 10 points once and that is that?

I have got myself a bit confused on this issue. We should have enough points anyway (just) but I am wondering whether to wait a while in order to boost the total.
You actually get an extra 15 points (10 for arranged employment and 5 for adaptability), and don't even need to be working for those points. As long as you have a job offer approved by HRSDC then you can claim the points and apply under Skilled Worker Cat 2 - no requirement to be working in the job first, or to even be in Canada.

The extra points after a year come under adaptability too, an extra 5 if you've worked there for a year or more.

Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Boris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful - thanks for the clarification!

(Now we just have to decide if it's worth waiting for that extra year's points or not - has to be balanced against a year farther away from being able to apply for citizenship.)
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful - thanks for the clarification!

(Now we just have to decide if it's worth waiting for that extra year's points or not - has to be balanced against a year farther away from being able to apply for citizenship.)
Depends how much you need those points I guess, I would imagine that the extra 15 for arranged employment would probably mean you're well over 67 anyway? So personally I wouldn't bother waiting, especially as if you're there on a TWP you'll be tied to that one employer so it's much more risky - I'd want to get PR asap.

Don't forget though that time on a TWP does also count for citizenship, at 1/2 that of PR i.e. for each day there on a TWP you can count it as 1/2 a day for citizenship.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

kewl, so I should get 15...was planning for just 10

In the 6 months from being rejected to getting the job, we've gone from "deemed unable to adapt" to OMG, adapted and then some LOL
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Depends how much you need those points I guess, I would imagine that the extra 15 for arranged employment would probably mean you're well over 67 anyway? So personally I wouldn't bother waiting, especially as if you're there on a TWP you'll be tied to that one employer so it's much more risky - I'd want to get PR asap.

Don't forget though that time on a TWP does also count for citizenship, at 1/2 that of PR i.e. for each day there on a TWP you can count it as 1/2 a day for citizenship.

I think we have about 71
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

I think we have about 71
Your application wont be processed any faster if you have more points than 67. So waiting longer to get more points wont benefit you. However, as things seems to be changing quickly and getting stricter, I think its better to apply as soon as you are eligible. Just in case things go the other way.

Ray